Any reasons left to continue playing PoE?

Gear God ...

F A L L O U T 4... This game gives like Skyrim Infinite amount of content thx to mods and lively community.
IGN: PojzonAbyss
[3.2] Immortal Indigon Poet's Pen Hirophant - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2129766
[3.1] Yamata No Orochi - Oni-Goroshi Jugg http://poeurl.com/bHB9
[2.4] The True Queen Of The Forest - Poison LA/BR Pathfinder http://poeurl.com/M6u [Retired]
It sounds like you really need to take a break and do something completely else with your free time.

Quit for a couple of months and come back to see if you still like this game or not.

Heart of Purity

Awarded 'Silverblade' to Talent Competition Winner 2020.
POE turned into a ratrace for the most div/hour.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDFO4E5OKSE
Its always been new expansions and patches like in any other mmorpg. Rode the 3m wb/tempest with loot in mind, stopped for the 1m mtx fb and back for the ds because its new. The game is free, i am thankful enough to come back here whenever i feel like it. In fact you don't need a reason, its just here waiting to be picked up anytime.
Last edited by monsoonrider on Nov 30, 2015, 6:20:45 PM
Lets see, what was it like last year from summer's Forsaken Masters and 2014 vs Awakening and 2015:

Creation of new, truly special and godlike uniques worth farming for? zero, just more heaps of low-mid lvl vendor food

Players on your f-list still playing? Down

Guild growth? Down

Trade and shop activity? Down

High level crafting? Down

Group mapping? Down

Forum posting activity? Down

Server instability, lag? Up

Sustainable and ungated end game? Still does not exist

Build diversity? Down

Steam #s? Down. Yes i know it is trivial to some, but if the numbers were great, the perma fans would be pumping it daily

Really sounds like a case of 'burnout' that's affected this game.
Dark_Chicken - lvl 100 Marauder
Divine_Chicken - lvl 100 Duelist
Is hopeless addiction a good enough reason?
I'd recommend a goal of making a character that doesn't care about the XP penalty because they don't die.

Otherwise sounds like you just want people to tell you to stop playing. Sure. The game is based on leagues. If standard isn't your thing now, it will likely never become your thing. Trade is plenty meaningful, mayhaps too meaningful. If you are waiting for a friendlier trade system to jump into the market, you have quite the mountain to climb to be competitive. People have a 3 year head start on you.

If you aren't having fun, time to find something fun.
Play Vaal Righteous Fire.

Do it.

I dare you.

It can work, trust me on that. You just got to hunker down and make it work.
"ran out of high teir maps to leave on the ground - people kept taking the higher teirs" - Da Pagionator
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T31clJn_oNQ
I don't think the OP is actually looking for anyone to tell him it's all going to be okay, or give him some new arbitrary goals. I think he feels like I felt when I hit yet another level 88 this morning. The same way I felt the time before and the time before that.

"oh look. Yet another character increasingly soft-capped by the cliff of poor map drops and less xp per monster. Maybe I'll get this one to 90, or 95. But then, why bother? It's really just more grind to be able to maybe get some eq to have my 10th legitimately geared up build, rather than 9. Of which 5-6 are worth xping beyond 90 in any case. How many characters should I play to 90 to get 10 decked out in 6-links anyway? Of course, I could start another character, but... the early part of the game is the least fun part for me. So why bother?"

Don't get me wrong, it's not just maps or gear or early game by a long shot. It's a matrix of issues, including trading, maps, a sudden cliff of xp and content in the late 80s (rather than an increasing declivity), the numb feeling you get when you finally get a rare event and think 'if that had happened 3 months ago I wouldn't have felt so over it'...

But on maps for example, as many others have said - if all I had to deal with was being stuck at 78s max but doing them as often as I liked, I don't think I'd get as much of this sense of malaise about the game. I disagree with anyone who says games like this burn people out after a while because with a few glaring differences in design, I've played a similar game for 20 years without feeling I needed to give up in disgust. Over-pervasive randomness is a big issue for me. I'm not a gambler and I don't get a big high from that final outcome. My last exalt dropped some hundreds of hours ago and I expect quite a few more hundred before another drops. Whoopee when it does.

I strongly believe the burnout and malaise come from game design problems no apologist can explain away.
winter is coming

Spoiler
"
game is ded
Last edited by Tom1989 on Nov 30, 2015, 9:29:47 PM
"
LMTR14 wrote:
Since the next expansion isn't going to add any long-term-motivational-content either, is there any reason left to continue to play this game?

I've cleared most challenges and levelled a char of each class to 80+ at some point. Races and leagues (leagues are just races that are LONGER) bore the shit out of me. I'm not interested in starting from zero over and over again (especially since early no-item no-skills game is boring as hell, and I could never be competitive since I don't party and I don't just RUN PAST monsters. that simply isn't the game I want to play). Since meaningful trading still isn't implemented (and probably won't ever be), there is no way for me to play for the economic side of things (which otherwise would be a huge draw for me).

So, what I'm stuck at doing now is grinding maps in standard. Which is more boring than ever since the idiotic xp nerf. Add to that death xp penalties and it's pretty much meaningless. And the fact most uniques I add to the clutter already in my stash are completely useless doesn't help.

So, I recently dropped League of Legends because I'm tired of the constant game-destroying changes. I'm not ready at this point to completely focus on Entropia Universe, since that is a very slow paced game, and I need something to fill my excitement void. I can't switch back to what I used to play in the past (single-player RPGs) since I can't justify to myself spending so much time on something that isn't competitive (online gaming has literally ruined my life in that way) without recording it for youtube let's plays - which I can't do since I can't record my game sound and headset microphone at the same time - and I can't find any solution to this problem!

So, am I missing something? Is there any rational justification I could use to continue playing PoE? Or is it finally time to stop waiting ggg will make it worth my time at some point. Suggestions for a new game I could pick up which fills the competitive action-based void are also welcome. Thing is, I don't LIKE the 21st century style of games. Anything I would like to pick up would have to FEEL retro.

hope I get some answers, tx in advance

Fortunately I'm fairly distracted with working and going to college full time as of late, so I'm not as concerned with how Path of Exile is keeping me entertained, but I have lost a lot of my passion with the game for the same reasons. It really seems like they have all but destroyed solo, non-rmt'ing players who aren't foaming at the mouth for the start of another redundant temporary league.
Still in the alpha stage, but at least build diversity isn't an issue: https://wolcengame.com/home/

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info