Unbelievable Mute

GGG just muted me because I asked someone if he was suicidal. I can't help this person if he's about to take his own life. This is a disgusting act of censorship, GGG.
Nah, dude. It's a disgusting act of enfocrcing the TOS of the game in a manner consistent with previous actions.

Censorship would have been if they had removed your post.
== Officially Retired 27/02/2019 ==

Massive thanks to GGG for producing such a fun and engaging game, it has taken up faaaaaaar too much of my life over the last 5 years.

Best of luck in the future!
I'm sure you had all sorts of good intentions. Sure of it.
I should have screenshotted the chat. I asked another player if he was suicidal and I was going to offer help. Then GGG_Brian muted me for 30 minutes. This is a sickening approach to mental illness. If this is how GGG treats its players, I and many more are going to stop playing.
First of all, you are free to email Support (support@grindinggear.com) if you want to dispute a mute. They won't discuss it on the public forums.

Secondly, all chat is logged on your computer. To access it, go into the installation folder, open the logs folder and click on the client file. It looks like a mess but either scroll from the bottom up or do a search if you still remember a name from the chat.

Edit: Just don't post any screenshots with visible names here. "Naming and shaming" isn't allowed (even if it might technically not be the case). Send everything to Support and discuss it with them. We can't help you here, anyway.
Last edited by Alysma on Nov 25, 2015, 7:29:56 PM
You're going to quit because you were muted? hahaha that's some funny shit I can understand if don't like the gameplay but being ''hurt'' cause you were muted? Cmon now.
Dys an sohm
Rohs an kyn
Sahl djahs afah
Mah morn narr
I find it hard to believe that someone who uses the name you have on your level 12 duelist could ever be muted.
We fight to delay the end because it's the means that matter.
I'm sure GGG doesn't want to be in the news with Path of Exile being the game where a depressed gamer was chat-bullied into suicide.

I'm not in any way saying that would have been your intent, but if it were *my* game, I'd have a policy of shutting down that kind of talk in chat as soon as possible. Better safe than sorry.
- here's my sig
"
_Cupcake_ wrote:
I should have screenshotted the chat. I asked another player if he was suicidal and I was going to offer help. Then GGG_Brian muted me for 30 minutes. This is a sickening approach to mental illness. If this is how GGG treats its players, I and many more are going to stop playing.

As Alysma noted, there is a chat log. If what you are describing is accurate (I'm not implying either way) then GGG probably needs to have its support staff/moderators spend about 30 minutes getting up to date on suicide prevention. If someone was talking about such a subject or raising such a subject in chat, my instinct would not be to mute, but to monitor, intervene, and help if necessary. If a player was doing something wrong and abusing another player along the lines of suicide, I would log the chat and IPS, forward them to law enforcement and ban the player.

Asking if someone is suicidal is NOT a bad thing.

http://www.helpguide.org/articles/suicide-prevention/suicide-prevention-helping-someone-who-is-suicidal.htm has this to say under Common misconceptions about suicide:

"FALSE: Talking about suicide may give someone the idea.
You don't give a suicidal person morbid ideas by talking about suicide. The opposite is true—bringing up the subject of suicide and discussing it openly is one of the most helpful things you can do.
"

When people start mentioning things that sound ominous, it may be the only cry for help that they make. According to the sources I have seen on suicide prevention (Centers for Disease Control, National Institute of Mental Health etc) one of the key factors to help prevent a suicide is for people to get themselves involved when someone's behavior is concerning.

Last September was suicide prevention month, and a 5 step simplified program was promoted. The first step was "BeThe1To… Ask."

http://www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org/

....... the following is from http://www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org/

"No matter what problems you are dealing with, we want to help you find a reason to keep living. By calling 1-800-273-TALK (8255) you’ll be connected to a skilled, trained counselor at a crisis center in your area, anytime 24/7.

If you feel you are in a crisis, whether or not you are thinking about killing yourself, please call the Lifeline. People have called us for help with substance abuse, economic worries, relationship and family problems, sexual orientation, illness, getting over abuse, depression, mental and physical illness, and even loneliness.

When you dial 1-800-273-TALK (8255), you are calling the crisis center in the Lifeline network closest to your location. After you call, you will hear a message saying you have reached the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. You will hear hold music while your call is being routed. You will be helped by a skilled, trained crisis worker who will listen to your problems and will tell you about mental health services in your area. Your call is confidential and free."

For those outside the US, there are some other hotlines listed here that may be able to help.

http://www.suicide.org/international-suicide-hotlines.html

If you or someone you know may be thinking about suicide, don't be afraid to call, there is hope.

PoE Origins - Piety's story http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2081910
Last edited by DalaiLama on Nov 26, 2015, 1:11:51 AM
I'm not taking OP seriously for a couple reasons. A 30 minute mute means he's probably been muted before (many times). Someone reported it, meaning someone was offended. In context it was probably generally offensive and against TOS.

Get over it, 30 minutes should give you time to cool down. I've been muted before, and my life isn't over.
Last edited by ionface on Nov 26, 2015, 7:34:09 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info