RMT spammers in chat

"
"
Dan_GGG wrote:
You also don't need to ignore them. They aren't going to continue talking after we've banned them, so you just fill up your ignore list.

And then they'll just make a new account and spam away until they get banned. Rinse and repeat.

It is currently detrimental for a player to report these RMT spammers in global chat. Once reported, they just get banned and make a new account that a player has to report and/or ignore, so why would anyone bother reporting them at all? You can just skip reporting and only ignore them; the bots won't have any obvious cues on getting ignored, so there's no apparent need for them to bring up a new bot to the global chat. The old one will keep spamming but everyone's ignored it so it's like it doesn't exist anymore.

Making new accounts regularly is standard spammer behavior anyway regardless of if they actually get banned or not - ignore or report, it makes little difference to how much spam you see.
There has to be a solution to this and whatever is in place now sure isn't working because the RMT spam is about as bad as I've seen it, in a long time at least. I don't know what the solution is and I'm sure any drastic measures might have an affect on newcomers of the game )IE chat level restrictions etc) but the spam being in your face is a huge turn off.

I try to imagine what my first impression of the game might be upon seeing the spam "wow a free to play game that isn't pay to win, let's try it out!" Then they get nailed with this garbage. And while I am sure you good folks are doing what you can to eliminate this crap, it MIGHT give off the wrong impression for a company so strongly against RMT to somehow allow bots to spam their game free reign.
Guild Leader - LÉGÄCY

POE is happy good luck fun time for great imperialistic leaders!
"
eragon1111 wrote:
Better idea is to have chat zones.

1-20 - ppl hear only 1-20 spam
21-40 - ppl hear only 1-40 spam
41 + ppl hear all spam

Problem fixed. You get to lvl 40 in one hour. And on start of new leagues everyone has almost equal lvls to begin with.

What build are you playing if you get to 40 in an hour lol
"
RandallPOE wrote:
"
"
Dan_GGG wrote:
You also don't need to ignore them. They aren't going to continue talking after we've banned them, so you just fill up your ignore list.

And then they'll just make a new account and spam away until they get banned. Rinse and repeat.

It is currently detrimental for a player to report these RMT spammers in global chat. Once reported, they just get banned and make a new account that a player has to report and/or ignore, so why would anyone bother reporting them at all? You can just skip reporting and only ignore them; the bots won't have any obvious cues on getting ignored, so there's no apparent need for them to bring up a new bot to the global chat. The old one will keep spamming but everyone's ignored it so it's like it doesn't exist anymore.

Making new accounts regularly is standard spammer behavior anyway regardless of if they actually get banned or not - ignore or report, it makes little difference to how much spam you see.

Incorrect. You take two clicks to ignore a bot, while it takes like ~5 seconds to report them.

When bot is simply ignored, it'll keep spamming, what, an hour? Two hours? Whereas if you report it it'll get banned and a new bot will be in chat in about 5-10 minutes to annoy you.

The difference doesn't seem so "little" to me.
[s]only mindless sheep think labyrinth is OK to have in PoE.[/s]
okay nevermind labyrinth, fix dx9 blackscreen instead...
"
It is currently detrimental for a player to report these RMT spammers in global chat.

that's ok if you're looking for a pragmatic solution for yourself, if you care for the game it's not.

age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill!
"
vio wrote:
"
It is currently detrimental for a player to report these RMT spammers in global chat.

that's ok if you're looking for a pragmatic solution for yourself, if you care for the game it's not.

Hahaha. Good one. Next you want me to code future expansions myself too?
This game is already pay to win because of stash tabs. Funny people get upset about this but not the rest of the garbage in trade chats that looks just as awful and wouldn't be there at all with a real in game auction house.
For a bit of entertainment today I decided to friend all the spammers before reporting them. I gained 13 new friends, all of whom logged off within a minute after I friended them. I'd be very surprised to see any of them log on again but I'll leave them on my friends list a while just in case I might see them again some day.

I would love to see some action as I mentioned in the original post. But from the GGG replies it seems they are well aware of the hole in the boat but they're more interested in bailing faster than in fixing the leak.

I'm curious, if we had a chat barrier where you had to make it to act 2 for instance, are people able to bot characters all the way through the first act? I'd hope the game is too complicated for that but I have no idea how sophisticated the bots can be. Ideally I'd say a human should have to put an hour or two into a character before they could chat outside of a dedicated newbie channel. That ought to put a serious dent in the spam traffic.
"

I'm curious, if we had a chat barrier where you had to make it to act 2 for instance, are people able to bot characters all the way through the first act?

Depending on player skill, you're looking at setting them back an hour or two. It would just hurt the actual new players that need help sadly.

Also, had a nice chuckle about your spammer friend-list idea. I have to try that. xD
Just a lowly standard player. May RNGesus be with you.
"
Shovelcut wrote:
"

I'm curious, if we had a chat barrier where you had to make it to act 2 for instance, are people able to bot characters all the way through the first act?

Depending on player skill, you're looking at setting them back an hour or two. It would just hurt the actual new players that need help sadly.

An hour of extra work would be far better than the current ~10 seconds it takes to create a new character/account.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info