Path of Exile: Ascendancy (News Coverage)

too good to be true...
or maybe just cant wait for it...
"
bootdisk wrote:
You are looking too narrow... this is a game and it should be more fun that just a plain completion of the OPTIMAL path/build.

I'm looking at it too narrow? Like i said before, there will be absolutely no change in the fun factor for someone having fun with playing a non-optimal/weird build, provided that is really where his fun is coming from.

Let's say you* have fun playing your suboptimal/weird build right now, in Awakening. You can't do high-level maps, you can't do Atziri, you can't even kill Merciless Piety or Malachai without a group carrying your char. But you don't care about that since you like to experiment, joke around with the skill tree and do suboptimal/weird builds for fun.

After Ascendancy, you will make a new suboptimal/weird char which won't follow cookie-cutter builds and again (the same as right now) you won't be able to do high-level maps, you won't be able to do Atziri, you won't be able to kill Merciless Piety or Malachai without a group carrying your char, but again, you won't care, becouse you - supposedly - derive the majority of your fun from experimenting, joking around with the skill tree and doing suboptimal/weird builds.

Long story short - if you really don't care about your suboptimal/weird build not being viable in endgame content, absolutely nothing will change for you in the long run.

Edit:

*by "you" i don't mean you personally, but the general type of player i'm talking about here

Btw, this is coming from someone who made a crit lightning strike staff-wielding templar build in the last league just becouse i wanted to do one. It sucks but i have fun playing him anyway :)
Last edited by Tom7i on Nov 21, 2015, 9:58:51 AM
OMG......TAKE my Money!!!!!
"
WARPAINTER wrote:
"
Nyurael wrote:
will it be possible to swtich between the Ascendancy Classes ?
Or do i need 3 rangers in future ?
anyone can answer this ?

The MMORPG write up states 'These class picks are permanent and players can only select a single Ascendancy class per character'.
http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/747/feature/10315/Venture-Into-the-Labyrinth-in-Ascendancy.html/page/1

Whether there will be an undo option like Orb of Regret for this Ascendancy class system I haven't read that anywhere yet.

i rly hope there is a way to try them all
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
"
AbdulAlhazred wrote:
I'm pretty sure removing the ability of marauders and rangers to be casters, or other classes to be summoners
These things are definitely not being removed. But Marauder casters and Ranger casters will have access to different ascendancies to take advantage of that will mean they likely play differently to each other.

I play hardcore, where strong defenses are pretty critical to the top end maps. You need both, offense and defense. And from the looks of it, running the labyrinth won't be a cake walk for a glass cannon either.

Now, we've seen Necromancy, and perhaps one has seen parts of it they like. It of course better have some nice stuff for summoners.

But, you haven't seen everything. You haven't seen what else a Marauder might get, or other classes. These 6 points of sub class will be powerful. But spending them offensively may mean your regular skill tree needs to chase defense more. Spending them defensively might mean your regular tree can chase offense more. They are just a piece of the puzzle, a strong piece, but only a fraction of the whole.

People need to use some imagination. For example, when I look at Gratuitous Violence, I wonder, why not play a duelist wander. It says one handed, not one handed melee weapons.

These sub classes are a good thing. And if early on they end up missing something, who says them can't either get expanded, or add more?

Choices and consequences are a build planner's dream. These sub classes just help encourage a quite obvious path for those lacking the inspiration or vision. But there is a lot of fun left for the path less traveled.
"
justinmm1988 wrote:
"
Snorkle_uk wrote:

"
justinmm1988 wrote:
ugh, just switched my classic summoner 2 SRS cause I really see no point in continuing on my scion, guess she will just remain naked until OR if I find a use for her...luckily they were same level just scion was closer to level than the witch...cost me 100 regrets, 20 of which went to fix my bandit reward...thanks alot! This is something that should of been done on launch, ive made fun of the lack of class identity with friends for ages now, but the light bulb should of came on during creation, not years down the freaking road!

i feel like ur jumping the gun a bit, you dont even know what the scions options are yet and theres 3 months of development and possible changes to the systems before this is actually going to be in the game.

I disagree, my Scion SRS is the one I decided to try and take the furthest...so why would I do that if witch is built around summoning? Have you seen the revealed tree?! Skill duration, cast speed, you really think scion will offer something to rival that? I mean maybe I am, I can always switch my witch back to classic with the passive tree reset, and she will be leveled farther and have more points....just don't see a point in continuing on my Scion on the very off chance her tree, or possible trees line up good enough for SRS.

fair play. I do know that pain trust me,

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/Snorkle_uk/characters

I have 13 characters between lvl90 and lvl95, sometimes even a regular tree/mechanic redesign can cost me 10 exalts worth of regrets just switching around bandits on them all. For sure at least 50% of them will now be doomed as they almost all have an option of starting as 3 different classes, which have been chosen based on the first 5 nodes of the class starts, which is now meaningless in the face of ascendant subclasses. I have characters there from open beta that have been what they are for over 2 years through all the changes the game has seen that may well now have to simply be respecced to something entirely different.

you got to have faith though that theres a character option there for every class that appeals. My dagger witch, ci aegis, has been exactly that ever since that shield was introduced... and now it may have to move to a shadow. I hope not, I hope theres some sort of energy shield or crit madness subclass for witch. But if it happens then I have a lvl95 witch that can be something, I dunno what yet but I have faith there will be something to do with it and not a minute will have been wasted getting it to lvl95.

If GGG are out there tho, it would be nice to have a 1 off free bandit respec if you are doing this. Because for sure some characters are going to have to 'swap' classes and people will be forced to do their witch on their shadow and their shadow on their witch etc. I dont have 20+ exalts to pay for that sort of stuff with vendor bandit respecs and I have 10,000 hours invested in the characters I have. Seriously, please no bill with these changes.
Hey GGG,

This Ascendancy expansion looks great, and I really look forward to playing again in early 2016. See ya then!

What? Play NOW?? *Why* would I want to play now? What possible point is there to theorycrafting or playing with the tree when it will be substantively rewritten in 3-4 months (and the Ascendancy classes are a MAJOR rewrite -- and to the good!! Don't get me wrong; this looks great!)

GGG, you do good work, and I enjoy PoE immensely. My only complaint is you are *so* quick about upgrading your game, you keep changing the rules out from under me before I can get a good build going. I would really like to finish the game someday without having to start over from scratch. I am beginning to have the feeling there is no room in this game for me as a casual player, and that's a shame, because I really enjoy and support it.

Oh, well -- it's still way better than Diablo. See you in 3-4 months.
"
wftico wrote:
Oh boy, am I going to play a "avoid the trap" game now instead of hack n slay? :(

The only 2 things that sounds good for me are the new ascendancy classes (good job)
& the enchants. In the end it remembers me of the rifts in diablo III (just the
part where you compete with others [time in this case] and the enchants you can
do at the end). Which is a good thing.

But the trap thing bothers me alot. Like, why? :(
I want to slay monsters and not care about avoiding stupid ass traps. :/

No hype for me!

It's called adding variety to the game.
"
Hey GGG,

This Ascendancy expansion looks great, and I really look forward to playing again in early 2016. See ya then!

What? Play NOW?? *Why* would I want to play now? What possible point is there to theorycrafting or playing with the tree when it will be substantively rewritten in 3-4 months (and the Ascendancy classes are a MAJOR rewrite -- and to the good!! Don't get me wrong; this looks great!)

GGG, you do good work, and I enjoy PoE immensely. My only complaint is you are *so* quick about upgrading your game, you keep changing the rules out from under me before I can get a good build going. I would really like to finish the game someday without having to start over from scratch. I am beginning to have the feeling there is no room in this game for me as a casual player, and that's a shame, because I really enjoy and support it.

Oh, well -- it's still way better than Diablo. See you in 3-4 months.

This may be one of the reasons why GGG are already promoting this expansion. They are aware it will rock the game considerably and this is fair warning. The main problem I see is that any characters created in talisman will need to be reworked when ascendancy comes out if you want to use them in standard. Although most people don't, it will affect some people. Another slightly annoying thing will be for those that have loads of 'characters' hanging around in standard/hardcore perm leagues. Each of these will now need to get their ascendancy class (if this is not given) so that they can at least be used for build testing. Also, because of ascendancy they will be less flexible for build testing in the future than they are now.
Still, minor quibbles overall. I'm more worried about balance. I have faith though, for now ;)
Id very much like some-one from GGG or one of the alpha/beta testers to tell us how the Ascendency skills and levels are obtained.

will it simply be like normal exp but from all mobs in the labyrinth or is it as i fear, a set amount of exp/levels/bonus given ONLY on completion of an hour+ long no death run through the labyrinth? And if that is the case how will the balance for that be handled (will the labyrinth be balanced for having all the new passives or none)?

"Blue warrior shot the food"

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info