Item Development - Threshold Jewels

If you don't mind me asking for the sake of my curiosity -- what was planned for Double Strike?

I'm experimenting with it as a CoC trigger, and I'm curious as to what could have been. :P
Is the +1 curse jewel still in the works, at least? I am a patient man, so I can wait if need be, I am just really curious if I can finally get a septa-curse build going.
With Spectral Throw, the jewel seems okay, though a high quality rare jewel is probably better unless you're up against huge packs (or running away from your throws as enemies chase you). However, with a Vaal Spectral Throw with GMP + Slower Projectiles, it sounds like it would be very easy to wrack up a very high bonus with thew jewel.
Last edited by rdespair on Nov 17, 2015, 10:06:39 PM
"
Qarl wrote:
"
DaTz_ wrote:

i got a question tho.. will the burning ground and tar ground be affected by ur aoe or is there a base aoe and cant be modified?

The ground effect AOE size is fixed.

EDIT: OK, I have been corrected, this maybe should be affected. We love our design correctness discussions :-)

Current implementation is that it isn't affected.

thanks for the reply ! and looking forward to it!
Seems pretty cool !
But why not giving the opportunity to reach the threshold multiple times with one jewel ? Like with 100 dexterity in radius, the spectral throw one will give +8% per hit instead of +8%. (Well, in that case, that's maybe a bit too broken, but the idea is here)
- Super Saltyajin God -
Last edited by Hell_Noki on Nov 17, 2015, 10:10:56 PM
Why Threshold Jewels and not Support Jewels or something similar to denote their association with skills? If I'm not mistaken we already have threshold jewels (which might have even been referred to as such, not sure) in game... (Inspired Learning, Corrupted Energy, etc) which makes the label inconsistent.

That said, these are pretty cool and if they are impactful enough will be welcome on any of my relevant characters.

Spoiler
And why isn't there a Vaal Heavy Strike?!
*You call into the void. You hear a sound in the distance.*
I was just able to create a tree (with the current tree unfortunately not the new one coming out :P) where I could stack 6 x fire ball jewel for a total of 300% increased area of effect at maximum range (I suppose that Slower Projectile would make the range smaller). I am pretty sure that with the current version of Fireball the skill would still be trash. lol

edit: omg this new major patch looks more and more incredible, can't wait any longer !
Last edited by Phenixer on Nov 17, 2015, 10:20:54 PM
I love the idea of Threshold jewels.

Spectral throw jewel - lackluster.

Fireball jewel - great concept

Burning arrow jewel - love it - provides both utility and clear speed

Heavy strike jewel - Double damage? Interesting concept - curious about reflect damage.

My thoughts:

I love taking gems that nobody likes to use and making some crazy insane build with it.
That being said.

The spectral throw threshold jewel I find lackluster because it is just a damage boost for a huge sacrifice (the jewel socket). Now if this jewel provided some interesting mechanics or changed the way spectral throw worked, then I would definitely love to try it out.

-Say the spectral throw jewel now makes it so that you could only throw 1 projectile but it has a chance to spawn vaal spectral throw on hit? This is kind of like the way justice was changed for the crusader in D3. A legendary that modified how the base skill worked.

-Or spectral throw now does not return but does the combined damage in 1 hit.

The same thing can be done for any of the other lackluster gems like summon skeletons.

-Summon skeletons now summons skeleton archers.

-Viper strike now applies crippling effect (reduces the enemies attack speed by 30%) or of that sort.

-Glacial hammer has a chance to cause a giant shard of ice to impact the target area (create an aoe effect for it).

I could go on and on but from what I have seen GGG, the people of POE like to see variety. That is what is enticing. Not plain damage increases.

-Babybuffalo

So instead of buffing early-game skills directly (at least their higher level/quality stats) they create new supports for them, which we:
1)must random-find(or are they intended to be quest rewards? didn't see it in the OP)
2)must expend precious skill points to use them.
Hmm... not really impressed, although some of these could be fun. Oh well, at least these new supports don't need a socket...
And worst change is putting almost all bosses in new version of maps into fucking small areas, where you can't kite well or dodge stuff. What a terrible idiot invented that I want say to him: dude flick you, seriously flick you very much.
Last edited by silumit on Nov 17, 2015, 10:19:10 PM
These are very cool, but would like to see some of these jewels (especially the pitch darkness) to have different effects depending on the attribute types that are allocated near them. Such as applying burning ground if you have 50 strength allocated in radius, tar for intelligence, blinding smoke for dex or something like that.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info