Item Development - Threshold Jewels

How about a jewel with "Freezing an enemy with Glacial Hammer will cause an cold explosion dealing cold damage to all nearby enemies." ?
So why did you nerfed heavy strike with changing quality from attack speed do stun? 10% of double dmg? Its same like critical strike, same mechanic...
Playing marauder @ Hardcore leagues

"
Qarl wrote:
"
DaTz_ wrote:
bonerific!

We'll show off the Summon Skeleton one later!

Summoning intensifies!
"
_Amaranth_ wrote:
"
eXecut1on wrote:
Will Fireball + MP "shotgun" with that Jewel?

This.

NickK's statement about the jewel's function ("with one or two of these, the ability to overlap explosions from a safe distance makes Fireball a much more interesting choice.") makes it sound like you're re-enabling the ability to "shotgun" for fireball so long as this jewel is active. So GMP + this jewel + point-blank range = most damage? regardless of the intent to increase blast radius with distance.

Shotgun is different from AoE overlapping

Shotgun is when 2+ projectiles hit the same target. AoE overlapping is when 2+ AoEs explosions from a skill overlap on the same target which takes damage from those 2+ AoEs.

So NickK basically says: Explosions of fireball will overlap on targets. So since fireball has a 8 radius, two of those jewels will boost it to 16 and with 24% increased AoE nodes in templar area it can go up to 18 radius, which is 60% of ice nova's radius (huge, a GMP fireball will literally destroy an entire pack in one click)

Seems very very strong if explosions will really overlap. Else magma orb will still be better that fireball on any aspect

PS: point blank only works with attacks, not spells :<

"
Alabamak wrote:
So why did you nerfed heavy strike with changing quality from attack speed do stun? 10% of double dmg? Its same like critical strike, same mechanic...

Crit can be modified to have high dmg mod value and high chance to occur.
Double damage goes on top.

That means if your damage with Heavy Strike is 6, and you have Crit Multi Mod of 150%, you will do 15 damage with a crit.

If by any chance, Crit and Double damage occur at same time, your 15 damage will be doubled, end result is 30 damage.

Sort of damage roller coaster.

Reminds of Windfury enchant from shamans spellbook in WoW.
i have to agree with many posters in this thread:

the jewels seem very lacklustre for the point investment you need to make. even without the threshold mechanic they would be mediocre to good, but still not as good as a 4 property rare gem. if the spectral throw gem would do more instead of increased damage i could see it as worthwhile.

the ideas behind the gems are nice although why not roll those effects into the skill themselves? This would make the skills much more interesting from the start.
"
WiseGuard wrote:
That means if your damage with Heavy Strike is 6, and you have Crit Multi Mod of 150%, you will do 15 damage with a crit.
If by any chance, Crit and Double damage occur at same time, your 15 damage will be doubled, end result is 30 damage.

Make these numbers 6/9/9/18 instead and I agree.
(The critical strike multiplier is what it says: A multiplier. So 150% crit multi result in 50% more damage over a non-critical hit.)

"
cislacoff wrote:
They need to be worthwhile to at least some specific builds, even if they're niche.
10% to do double damage for heavy strike is not worth! 10% in this game is nothing.Even with 50% its bad.

You're asking for a 50% MORE damage jewel. Even with the required threshold and it being specific to one skill this is certainly not going to happen.
Crit happens.
Last edited by Inarion1986 on Nov 18, 2015, 4:55:12 AM
After reading this post I'm clear that GGG understands that some skills do less damage and are not end game viable and others do much more damage for end game. If this is the case then why don't you guys just balance them? I know this jewel thing is an attempt to do that but it is really not fair that players need to procure these jewels and waste a passive slot just to balance it ourselves. Instead why wouldn't anyone use the other OP skills and use the additional passive slot to make it even more OP?
Honest feedback:

Judging the jewels that are presented here - i would'nt want to build around them (except maybe the burning arrow one for an pure support build, very niche)

I frankly understand that it must be a very hard task to find the right balance to this jewels, to not make them OP or, far worse, even "mandatory" for the specific skill to be vaible. On the other hand make them just so much interesting and impactfull enough so that players want to build arround it.

Jewel sockets are highly competitive spots because of rare jewels already offer a great variety of options and possibilitys - a rare jewel is always consistant, a unique jewel with 10% chance to deal more damage isn't, so it is unattractive to use.

The idea and the concept of the new system is really great, i really like it - looking at the unique jewels currently in the game and there demand i am sceptical of what the DEV-Team can and will produce for the upcomming expansion.
Judging on the past of unique jewels i am not that hopefull that something really amazing will be implemented, sry GGG (sry, but i lost faith since you got rid of some very cool unique jewel concepts from Closed Beta 2.0)

Lets talk about the presented jewels:

- Spectral Throw:
Might be powerfull, especially against single target but can't tell before testing (good)

- Heavy Strike:
10% chance to deal 100% more damage = 10% consistant more damage against single target (you don't use Heavy Strike otherwise) Problem: Cyclone, Reave, Icecrash does the same job but better. 10% more damage is not so relevant in many cases. Inconsistant damage multipliers are not viable for heavy strike. I feel it won't see much use (bad)

- Fireball:

Only works while offscreening mobs or while in greater range to mobs. Fireball damage is already sufficiant to clear trash. Overlaping AO makes the single target better. Unfortunatly Fireball gehts outclassed by many other skills like Incinerate, Flameblast etc. (might be at least ok)

- Pitch Darkness:
The burning ground effekt is cool, but we have to see how much DPS it will do before we can judge if it is good or not. If the damage is low, it is not vaible, if the damge is as high as a fire trap => ranged firetrap :P.
The tar effect is really cool and unique and could fit perfectly in a support build. Problem: Ice Shot does already the same trick for support builds without the jewel (not convinced)
The Spectral Throw jewel is really lackluster. It really is almost pointless. As many others have stated, the one thing ST doesn't need is something slightly increasing pack clearing. It needs a more severe buff, either less mana cost to make it not impossible to sustain on mana or significant base damage increase to make a heavy investment into mana / leech worthwhile or use blood magic without crippling the damage potential. Bring it on a level with cyclone again.
WTB List: - Shrubbery, only the best!; Mirror - wooden frame - 90x50cm

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info