i am really confused about poison arrow with point blank;testing complete

every single time i test it, it looks like point blank works.... this is getting frustrating for me.

please help.

also, saying only "point blank doesn't work with PA" won't help, explanations please.

edit: so my perceptions were wrong, point blank does nothing....i am sad.
Last edited by svnhddbst on Nov 9, 2015, 12:41:04 PM
Damage over Time cannot be Attack Damage - Point Blank explicitly applies to Attack Damage. It will work for the initial Hit just fine, but the part you're actually using is unaffected.
you can make that argument all you like, but the part that matters is that it does appear to work.

ggg have gotten tags wrong, or made arbitrary decisions about what works and what doesn't, before.
Go run trials then. Kill Hillock with and without Point Blank, always making sure to fire at the ground.
May I suggest Koduku, the totem in Ledge as target. That way you are guaranteed he stays in the cloud the entire time.
PoE needs better social features... and more cats!
"
Vipermagi wrote:
Damage over Time cannot be Attack Damage - Point Blank explicitly applies to Attack Damage. It will work for the initial Hit just fine, but the part you're actually using is unaffected.

Point Blank says nothing about atk dmg. It says about projectile atks, to clarify, that it only works projectiles made buy atks. It multiplies the projectile dmg, not atk dmg. Poison arrow is an atk and benefits from projectile dmg, so it works with point blank.
i will now go test on kuduku, since that does indeed seem to be a reliable method.
It's not that complicated, Poison Arrow is a two-part skill.

First, a projectile is shot at whatever you're targeting. This is the part that adds % chaos damage. It's an attack projectile, it can miss, benefits from PPaD, PB, IG, etc.

Second, an AoE DoT is placed wherever the arrow landed. This is the part that deals absolute chaos damage per second. This damage is mentioned separately in an absolute value, it's not scaled off of the initial attack/projectile hit and therefor not influenced by PB. This is backed up by the fact that even if the arrow doesn't hit its intended target (low accuracy, high target evasion/dodge) the poison cloud will still go off when the arrow hits something solid (another mob behind the one targeted, the ground at mouse cursor position, nearest wall etc). Compare with Static Strike, where the AoE relies on the initial hit both in damage (scales off of it) and trigger (attack in place with no mobs in melee range, hit nothing, no AoE).

Yeah I know
PA is actually a three-part skill, but for the sake of simplicity and the topic discussed I only looked at the first two.
http://www.engadget.com/2014/03/03/grinding-gears-wilson-talks-f2p-ethics-in-path-of-exile/

"WE'VE BEEN CAREFUL WHEN DESIGNING THE GAME SO THERE'S NO PAYING FOR GAME CONTENT OR ADVANTAGE IN THE GAME", he explained. "WE'VE PURPOSEFULLY DIVORCED ANY GAME MECHANICS FROM THE MONETIZATION."
The simple facts are: The arrow is an attack. The poison cloud is not an attack. Therefore only the arrow part benefits from the attack damage bonus from point blank.
Guild Leader The Amazon Basin <BASIN>
Play Nice and Show Some Class www.theamazonbasin.com
having now verified how it works, further explanations will be ignored by me, feel free to continue posting for any future readers.

also, presenting reasoning for how it should work, in a game where things frequently are changed or broken, seems not quite good enough, compared to "get the stuff and try it on something that will not change" like kuduku for poison arrow.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info