Think I figured out the skill-gem lore

Just speculation but...

The vaal oversouls is a construct, and the pyramid is clearly some kind of ritualistic site filled with undead. My theory is that they used the ancient pyramid to create the skill-gems by sacrificing people. So the skill-gems are spiritstones/soulstones containing the abilities of the people sacrificed.

EDIT: Forgot to mention the relevance of the vaal construct. I suspect Vaal was the instrument for "extracting people" and that Vaal is infused with the abilities of those slain, hence the spells and abilities he uses.

Piety is a thaumathurgist (spelling? :P) and creates monstrosities, have powerful spells and can transform herself into other creatures. She is clearly some kind of doctor frankenstein. A magical bloodmagic+lightning mage scientist.

So Im guessing Wraeclast is some kind of a research Island/continent where Oriath conducted illegal experiments after the eternal empire fell.

I may be missing out on some lore/stuff... sry for that. Just speculating, and It seems like a good explanation that skill gems are made from people being sacrificed.

Thoughts?
Last edited by Ouroboros226 on Feb 14, 2013, 1:12:56 PM
"
Ouroboros226 wrote:

So Im guessing Wraeclast is some kind of a research Island/continent where Oriath conducted illegal experiments after the eternal empire fell.

The Eternal Empire were the first to conduct those experiments (thus leading to the Undying). Piety's just continuing them under the instructions of Dominus.
The Vaal did create the virtue gems, but exactly how is unknown - it could be just "lol it's magic!". Your idea is as good as any.
It's just materia =)
To be honest i have not payed much attention to the plotline thus far.

However what you describe peaks my intrest a little bit, and seems perfectly possible/plausible.

After all, the current empire sends alot of troops to investigate Wareclast to dig deeper into what is going on. It has to be something powerful thats going on like harvesting and using human souls for power.

I would guess the skillgems are just human souls(alot, see the corpsepiles in act3), contained into crystals. And the crystal itsself dictated what the gem actually does.
I would speculate even further that the usage of gems has some prominent side effect further down the plotline, but thats a cointoss in the end i guess :P.

No matter what turns out to be the case though, i hope the truth is morbid as hell...!
"
redrach wrote:
The Eternal Empire were the first to conduct those experiments (thus leading to the Undying). Piety's just continuing them under the instructions of Dominus.
The Vaal did create the virtue gems, but exactly how is unknown - it could be just "lol it's magic!". Your idea is as good as any.

But while the Vaal (who predated the Eternal Empire) invented virtue gems, the Cataclysm/Undying seem to be something specific to the Eternal Empire. So we can deduce that the Vaal didn't do stupid experiments that ended up dooming an entire continent and thus the Oversoul's appendages having nothing to do with injection. Well, unless it was something Maligaro added to it, seeing as he summoned it up and might have experimented some before he changed his mind and sealed it away?
BTW, is there a synopsis somewhere to be had?
The corpsepiles in Act3 are entirely Piety. For one, she doesn't actually take over an Eternal Empire Lab or something, she ad-hoc takes over a temple to dump her experiments >_>

On the other hand, I keep trying to figure out what the deal with the Gemling Queen is. Specifically when she talks about Malachai, it all seems to hint at something very big there to me, especially with how she talks about gems, death, and her choice? of not being dead? unsure if its hinting at something deeper in to the gem lore or if she's just being herself and speaking in spirals..
If you want to know more about PoE's lore, just watch Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood.
GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.
"
Xavderion wrote:
If you want to know more about PoE's lore, just watch Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood.

Cheapshot :P
The pyramid is actually a large MAKO reactor.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info