Endgame vs. levelling

"
Khoranth wrote:
Totally agree on how Hell in D2 was entirely farmable as end game content. I will never understand why GGG did not want to do this with merc.

It seems that they fell into the blizzard WoW trap of making old content obsolete in a hurry. That works for a MMORPG that releases new content every 6-12 months. Seems like a bad choice for a ARPG though.

About the first part: maps happened. I have written it too many times, but you won't see farmeable areas in Merciless so easily when maps are better almost always. The level difference should drop mostly for that to be solved. Or the rewards should be increasing in a way that complements rather than replace maps (while bumping difficulty somehow to not make it a hamster wheel).

About the second part: marketing. Let's face it, the most popular expansions are the ones with the new toys. There is strong economical incentives to not mantain old features. And that sucks. I'd love more master missions and vaal related content. Act 3X shouldn't have been nerfed that much, and leveling shouldn't have been gutted to make space for three difficulties.
Add a Forsaken Masters questline
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2297942
Last edited by NeroNoah on Apr 28, 2016, 2:44:26 PM
Good article! I would love it if merc was compatible with maps in difficulty and reward.
at lvl 93 everything in Merc is trivialized.
"This is a Buff"
-------------------------------
There is an old almost forgotten prophecy, that hell will freeze over.
But we just recently discovered the true cause of this unlikely event:
By the time GGG manage to balance their game.
I wrote a little extra about Ascendancy, but I may be full of shit. Feel free to destroy it in the comments in you wish.

Recently added
The more things change, the more they stay the same.

The whole expansion was an interesting experiment in two fronts: horizontal/vertical progression and prolonging leveling in the hopes of make it more rich.

The Ascendancy class addition was thought as a way to add more flavor to classes. Thing is, they went against what made things like Keystones more interesting in character building; keystones, ideally, offer power at a cost, so they are neutral, or at least require some thought to make a character more powerful. That's a way of horizontal player progression.

Meanwhile, Ascendancy classes offer straight buffs most of the time. The less broken classes offer "on kill" bonuses while the most broken offer permanent buffs like permafortify. In that sense, you cannot completely categorize the addition as horizontal or vertical. It's not necessarily a bad thing (I mean, a buff to build around EV/ES or Dodge is a great thing actually), but probably requires more balance. The power creep is real, some sobering nerfs are needed to not trivialize existing content.

The labyrinth and trials were less well received for many reasons (there is a ton of threads about that, so no that interested on talking about that), for this thread is interesting to note that it made leveling long.

Now there are reasons to go to Hedge Maze, Catacombs and other areas thanks to trials, thing is that people still want to rush to the endgame, so it's an obstacle in that path annoying them. I particularly don't mind, but I actually enjoy doing all that. For those who not, it's a waste of time.

The labyrinth itself asks you (at least at the apropiate level) to pass a somewhat unforgiving difficulty spike, adding to the overall leveling effort. If you enjoy it, it's one of the best improvements on leveling we've seen in a while, else, it's the biggest obstacle to completing a character and playing the endgame. Ignoring whether the labyrinth should be as mandatory (to be exact: optimal, so shut up grammar nazis), there is so much effort people will want to put playing an unfinished character. Honestly, I still favor adding more effort, non linearity, long levels, and stress to leveling, in exchange for not repeating multiple playthroughs. That means, GGG should make effort preserving changes to leveling.

As an hybrid endgame/leveling activity, it falls short in both fronts. Probably too much for leveling as thing are currently (three playthroughs) and too little for the endgame (you can kill most things easily, beyond some point, so the only threat left are traps, and given how you can cheese them, it's not a well designed grind as maps themselves...it doesn't help that the rewards after getting the AC points are enchants that are distributed very sparsely). A higher level labyrinth, and/or one with better item drops, with harder to trivialize enemies would be nice, modeled as the Apex of Sacrifice aproximately (low level, still challenging...well, maybe it was in the past, power creep is bananas).

In that sense, I still think the same than when I wrote this thread one year ago. People still wonder why GGG hasn't added anything to the endgame, while GGG has added so much stuff to do...while being impossible to put all that stuff only at high levels for economy reasons.
But they didn't make it better. Maps are nothing more then a bunch of recycled tiles. They even made it worse. They gated the endgame content behind wealth or luck. Like roll a dice or pay an IST every time you would like to enter the Throne of Destruction.

In D2 content was never gated and always in lore. And that was imho a much better system.
"This is a Buff"
-------------------------------
There is an old almost forgotten prophecy, that hell will freeze over.
But we just recently discovered the true cause of this unlikely event:
By the time GGG manage to balance their game.
"
But they didn't make it better. Maps are nothing more then a bunch of recycled tiles. They even made it worse. They gated the endgame content behind wealth or luck. Like roll a dice or pay an IST every time you would like to enter the Throne of Destruction.

In D2 content was never gated and always in lore. And that was imho a much better system.

You say recycling, I say remixing, :P And remixing is good.

That being said, the whole thing should be more resource management and less coping with long losing streaks.
Last edited by NeroNoah on Apr 28, 2016, 7:30:05 PM
Oh hey, this thread again.

Rereading the article linked in the OP, I realized that it is a little more sophisticated than the OP; the OP deals with the specific GGG system of mapping, while the article details a more general comparison of "off-the-shelf" modes of play vs endgame-gated modes of play. As far as mapping goes, I already said my piece in this thread, but I'd like to talk about something else...

Unique items.

Unique items enable builds. With many uniques, if you don't have the unique, you don't have the build.

A lot of uniques now have level requirements at least in the high 50s, often in the 60s. It seems that the more uniques are released, the more get this high-level requirement. Particularly the interesting ones (looking at you, Dancing Dervish).

See the problem yet?

You can think what you want about making being gated by "reaching endgame," but we are increasingly in an environment where builds are gated by reaching endgame. Using "leveling builds" and "MF builds" is more of a standard practice than ever, creating a highly divergent gameplay feel, even on the theorycrafting level, between pre-endgame (what a fucking term) and endgame.

That's... pretty troubling. To me, anyway.

Edit: it's worth noting Ascendancy classes kinda make this worse. With the normal passive tree, you get about 46 points in Normal, 24 in Cruel, 18 in Merciless, and up to 32 in maps to define your build with; you can get anywhere within reason with 40 points. With Ascendancy classes it's 2, 2, 2, and a lot of stuff is gated as a 4-pointer. Really should be 3,2,1 if you ask me; wouldn't hurt much but give a nice Normal/Cruel boost.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Apr 28, 2016, 8:56:03 PM
It's early game (or leveling phase), not pre-endgame, :P.

You are on point about builds being gated but I didn't talk too much about it because it's not what I understand best (the other issues are easier to diggest), but yes, it makes problems worse and contributes to the psychological separation the articles talk about.

Leveling builds seem lame and soulkilling, and MF seems more like a specialization so it's neutral for me (I always have a little MF on my characters if I can).

What you say about AC points seems a good suggestion, but it's not that problematic if it doesn't change.
I don't play MMOs, but "endgame" has always been a concept I've thought pretty bizarre.

By far the biggest thing Diablo 3 did right was to drop the tired idea of serial difficulty settings, and instead get more comfortable with letting people play at their own pace, in their own order. Sure, people can play the story through if they're interested, but they don't have to be, and they certainly don't have to be multiple times. If your "endgame" design is actually fun, why would I want to have to play through the same content three times in order to get to it?

Seeing developers treat their own game as an obstacle players have to trudge through to get to the "good bit" is really sad. If you've got fun, varied challenges for players, don't make them the endgame, make them the game.
I red that Diablo 2 had no endgame.

In my opinion there was endgame in sense, that you were able to hunt items for higher dps, collecting sets, make level, change character stats, get torch or talismans etc. and all of this without any restrictions. All efforts for higher dps, to feel more power in your character. With higher dps you was able to get runes drop higher/faster. And with runes you was able to make best items. And use those items and level up with them if you wanted to. Those runes make endgame real as not many people got Jah Ber or Zod to get shiny Runewords items. If somebody got it, he was not able to make few characters with such great items.

In Diablo 1 even on lvl 49 you was still able to get better and better items as drop for items like ring of titans was so low.

In PoE there are no items to hunt, there is rather currency what is mainly everybody focused on, 99.9% of items can be bought. I dont know if it is because most balanced builds are playable around uniques or that all items are rather focused on survival than dps. Reflect in PoE mainly resulting in lowering dps or experience per hour. So in that sense there is no endgame, no need of getting "shiny" items as those items not moves you further for some higher goals. It seems like only thing that can be really considered in PoE as endgame is crafting, because it costs a lot and not everyone can get into this point. But that craft is focused around survival than dps. And if dps, than its lowering exp per hour or stop leveling at all.

Under line: I met one player with bow around 580 phys damage. Crafting costs: 320ex. What amazing item. But he was not able to level up with that. Maybe if he would press Vinktar legacy all time.. maybe.. but to check all time if Vinktar is on? It can be fun in the beginning but during time its rather stressful, not fun...
I think POE is a great experience before end-game, in HC leagues. I cannot just rush through everything, ignore all mechanics, and wear shit gear while leveling up in POE.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info