How Exactly Do Flasks Recharge?

"
tpapp157 wrote:
I think it creates an interesting choice for the player. They can use all their flasks evenly to get the maximum charge refill benefit. Or they can always use their best flask to get the most regen/mod benefit. Not to mention that the current system where all flasks recharge is very simple to understand and it means you don't have to be checking your flasks in the middle of combat to see which flasks did or didn't get charges and how many.

I don't think it's an interesting choice at all. I think it's a burdensome complication that you need to need to keep track of, and that it makes slow regen flasks comparatively weaker than other flasks due to the fact that cycling through flasks gives the highest overall regen. There is literally no advantage to using a single high regen flask twice in a row unless it fills to full in-between. Otherwise you're always better off using one or more other flasks first. I would rather my choice of flask be dictated by the utility of the flask itself, not on my memory of which flasks have yet to fully recharge or some convoluted calculations as to the sequence and types of flasks to use to obtain maximum overall regen.

As for checking flasks in combat to see which did or didn't get charges, I can understand that for the previous system, but for the round robin type system I proposed that problem does not exist as each of the non-empty flasks will fill at the same rate as every other flask and no flask will ever get more than one charge per kill. It's really not something you need to think about.
Last edited by Strill on Dec 9, 2011, 4:51:19 PM
There is a choice the player can make: optimize flask usage based on charges, or use the flask which is most appropriate for the situation. Both options have their pros and cons, but I don't see why the system needs to change any. I use both strategies, and they both work.

Flasks tend to fill before you make a full rotation through all of them, so there's no need to constantly keep track of which flask has the most charges without being full so you can optimize. Just use a flask and keep killing.
Closed Beta/Alpha Tester back after a 10-year hiatus.
Kiwi pets and Spark spam FTW.
Last edited by WhiteBoy on Dec 9, 2011, 6:10:41 PM
"
whiteBoy88 wrote:
There is a choice the player can make: optimize flask usage based on charges, or use the flask which is most appropriate for the situation. Both options have their pros and cons, but I don't see why the system needs to change any. I use both strategies, and they both work.

Flasks tend to fill before you make a full rotation through all of them, so there's no need to constantly keep track of which flask has the most charges without being full so you can optimize. Just use a flask and keep killing.
Optimizing flask usage for charges means getting the greatest amount of overall healing, however that's what flasks with the Saturated prefix are supposed to do. Does this system not make those flasks redundant?
That's just another way to get more out of your flasks. In having that mod, you give up a spot for another mod like defense or knockback on use.
Closed Beta/Alpha Tester back after a 10-year hiatus.
Kiwi pets and Spark spam FTW.
"
whiteBoy88 wrote:
That's just another way to get more out of your flasks. In having that mod, you give up a spot for another mod like defense or knockback on use.
What does that have to do with anything? I asked if this system makes Saturated flasks redundant.
Saturated flasks give good total regen, and also extend the duration of the effect.
So you could have a pair of saturated mana flasks with 100% increased armor suffix, and just alternate between them every 4.5 seconds, for perfect uptime of the 100% armor increasing buff.
A saturated flask is similar to a 50% charge recovery flask, except that a saturated flask gives less control over when the regen/buff takes place (since you have to use it in 4.5 second increments instead of 3 seconds), but it also can store more total healing power (while recovering the same "healing power" on each kill).
IGN: Jerk, Princess

http://orbswap.info - the easy way to trade currency
Last edited by taekvideo on Dec 10, 2011, 3:30:23 PM
While WhiteBoy88 and taekvideo go one way, I'll share my experience going the other.

In all my time playing, I've spent considerably less time thinking about flasks, then the time its taken me to read this thread.

None of the characters require certain flasks, and I'd rather eat a gun then sit through a fight going 1-q-2-q-1-w-2-q-1-q-12345...um no. They're just not that important as of now.

Status effects (save for freezing) can largely be ignored, so those modes are useless, faster run speed can be easily found on boots, ignore that stat, many of the others can be ignored with a good build, even the +charges per crit seems rather useless considering the shear number of enemies you face, your flasks are always full.

I'm not sure I want flasks to be anymore important then they now, a perk at best, but I don't want to build characters around flasks.
So in other words what you're saying is that they'd rather have a system which is simple to understand but which convolutes and skews the choice of which flask to use rather than a system which is convoluted but preserves the default complexity of which flask to use.
Last edited by Strill on Dec 10, 2011, 7:53:59 PM
People and their doubts about flasks... IMO these types of games would only suffer if you really would have to struggle to even keep your flasks going

Man.. I could still play D2 for a couple hours per day.. And you can just buy 1000 pots, play 1% safe and make it to hell on HC no problem and i would be having a blast.. I just love entire screens of monsters expoding. I dont much like the nearly dying moments =p

but oh well thats just me

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info