[2.2 Korago's "Budget" Life based Mjolner - No Voll's required, updated for Ascendancy!]

I chanced my first Mjolner today and found this guide. It was on Standard so I had access to a year's worth of stuff, but no Voll's Devotion or Astramentis. I did have Romira's Banquet, Daresso's Defiance, a Saffel's Frame, and a Lightning Doryani's Invitation. I had to use an Atziri's Foible to get it up and running but I'm working toward either a high stat roll Agate or a Voll's Devotion (something to aim for next league).

I'm a Templar, my bandits are wrong, my tree is pretty gimped trying to get stats and resists without costing 100 regrets, but I got it up and running with some improvements.

-It's easy to run Molten Strike + GMP on Multistrike on mana with a Viridan Jewel with Mana Gained on hit. I only have +1 mana (the only jewel I had in my stash) and it still works.
-Because my main skill is on mana, I can change the Blood Magic support gem to a Life Gained on Hit gem, which is totally amazing with GMP Molten Strike.
-Also because my main skill is on mana, I run Rallying Cry which gives damage and mana regen instead of Enduring Cry.
-I didn't like how the guide puts reserve gems in the weapon slots; I want to be able to weapon swap. My 4link is Herald of Thunder + Curse on Hit + Warlord's Mark + Vengeance. The vengeance gem is pretty hilarious with Mjolner, you can AFK and kill monkeys. It generates mana from the jewel, power charges from romiras, and curses monsters around you with warlord's mark for leech and endurance charges (very small AoE around you, though). I also tried Riposte and it works but worse because it's not in a circle around you, it just hits the one monster that hit you.
-I put Leap Slam + Fortify + Faster Attacks in my shield. Apparently you can't Fortify with a trigger gem like Vengeance.
-Because I have life gain on hit doing my sustain, I dropped Vaal Pact.
-I was feeling more dangerous so my Mjolner has Arc + Discharge + Concentrated Effect instead of Life Leech.
-My mitigation is pretty bad, monsters hit me really hard even though I'm gaining lots of life. They can time their hits perfectly and kill me. I am missing the Rumi's Concoction which I'm guessing prevents tons of incoming damage.
Last edited by NorrYtt on Nov 9, 2015, 3:44:27 AM
"
NorrYtt wrote:
I chanced my first Mjolner today and found this guide. It was on Standard so I had access to a year's worth of stuff, but no Voll's Devotion or Astramentis. I did have Romira's Banquet, Daresso's Defiance, a Saffel's Frame, and a Lightning Doryani's Invitation. I had to use an Atziri's Foible to get it up and running but I'm working toward either a high stat roll Agate or a Voll's Devotion (something to aim for next league).

I'm a Templar, my bandits are wrong, my tree is pretty gimped trying to get stats and resists without costing 100 regrets, but I got it up and running with some improvements.

-It's easy to run Molten Strike + GMP on Multistrike on mana with a Viridan Jewel with Mana Gained on hit. I only have +1 mana (the only jewel I had in my stash) and it still works.
-Because my main skill is on mana, I can change the Blood Magic support gem to a Life Gained on Hit gem, which is totally amazing with GMP Molten Strike.
-Also because my main skill is on mana, I run Rallying Cry which gives damage and mana regen instead of Enduring Cry.
-I didn't like how the guide puts reserve gems in the weapon slots; I want to be able to weapon swap. My 4link is Herald of Thunder + Curse on Hit + Warlord's Mark + Vengeance. The vengeance gem is pretty hilarious with Mjolner, you can AFK and kill monkeys. It generates mana from the jewel, power charges from romiras, and curses monsters around you with warlord's mark for leech and endurance charges (very small AoE around you, though). I also tried Riposte and it works but worse because it's not in a circle around you, it just hits the one monster that hit you.
-I put Leap Slam + Fortify + Faster Attacks in my shield. Apparently you can't Fortify with a trigger gem like Vengeance.
-Because I have life gain on hit doing my sustain, I dropped Vaal Pact.
-I was feeling more dangerous so my Mjolner has Arc + Discharge + Concentrated Effect instead of Life Leech.
-My mitigation is pretty bad, monsters hit me really hard even though I'm gaining lots of life. They can time their hits perfectly and kill me. I am missing the Rumi's Concoction which I'm guessing prevents tons of incoming damage.

Sounds like you're missing a lot of armor on gear if mobs can one shot you with physical damage.

Are you also sure you're running arctic armour as one of your auras? It's important for survivability

Mjolner builds like those are quite tanky and im not sure how you can die easily like that.
Pretty neat build, just got a mjolner so i thought i'd try it out and it's been fun so far.

Here's gear and tree for reference on my level 85 scion.

any/all improvement on my gear choice/tree is welcomed :)

Gear
Spoiler

Tree

2.1 Plans
Spoiler

i plan to drop my current rare boots and fit in Windscreams allowing for dual curse (Conductivity + Warlord's Mark) with Blasphemy.
This means if i take the 14% reduced mana reserved wheel, i can run 2 on blasphemy, purity of lightning and arctic armour which would reserve 97% of my mana.
Aura calculation here

I might have to add in another resistance jewel to compensate for loss of resi on boots

Updated 2.1 Tree!

IGN: Standard League - Dark_Captain
Last edited by lDantonl on Dec 8, 2015, 9:30:34 AM
Hello there !
I'm going to use your build to get what I want with new Mjölner toy, as it's seems to be efficient, even without the pricy amulet I won't have before months :D

My first question is :
How do you level up with this build ? As I won't be able to use the correct equipment before lvl 60/65, what should I use in order to not suffer too much during the leveling ?
Any 2hd physical skill would do ? Any recommendation ?
Thanks in advance for your answers :)

Cheers !
"
Alio wrote:
Hello there !
I'm going to use your build to get what I want with new Mjölner toy, as it's seems to be efficient, even without the pricy amulet I won't have before months :D

My first question is :
How do you level up with this build ? As I won't be able to use the correct equipment before lvl 60/65, what should I use in order to not suffer too much during the leveling ?

Cheers !

You can use any kind of non-chaos spell in a +1 scepter since the damage you get from the tree is elemental. if you have issues with mana you can get the scion mana nodes to the left (up to shaper) and just respec out of them when you can equip mjol. The leveling tree would look something like this:

https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAwAACGeTOr0nGDz56EGHtz6DzP4KPC3Yvcaug181ksT2tfLEFXKpbqr3MqyqSshZ8z8nGjhyDypNkFWUb3GFZp59WycvZlTzEVcpFkCsRzrYsUJG14V9UUzsOMpKgptfsJo7m7Wf38M673w8BcBmBLOiAHzZKjg=

And when you get that far you start going through the scion AS start, respec out of shaper and fill in the rest. This should give a smoother leveling experience.

For skills i recommend freeze pulse, arc, incinerate or other good leveling spells (i don't think flame blast will be optimal because of the low amount of cast speed though).
"
Alio wrote:
Hello there !

My first question is :

Cheers !

Hey Alio, thanks for using my build. Hope you enjoy it when you get there

Dimio already answered most of your questions so I will try to give you some quick advice on top on of it.
Depending on your leveling gear I would like dimio said,I recommend using a skill similar to incinerate. Once you get to around level 40-50 you can start using a melee weapon together with molten / lightning strike, something similar to Rigwald's Charge will transition you nicely towards the early 60. Leveling will be a bit slow the last few levels but once you hit the magical 66 you will breeze through low level maps, just make sure you have enough strength / intelligence to be able to use mjolner as soon as you hit level 66.

If you have any other questions feel free to post them in the thread, message me here or ingame at "Koragrill"
"
Koragodk wrote:

Hey Alio, thanks for using my build. Hope you enjoy it when you get there

Dimio already answered most of your questions so I will try to give you some quick advice on top on of it.
Depending on your leveling gear I would like dimio said,I recommend using a skill similar to incinerate. Once you get to around level 40-50 you can start using a melee weapon together with molten / lightning strike, something similar to Rigwald's Charge will transition you nicely towards the early 60. Leveling will be a bit slow the last few levels but once you hit the magical 66 you will breeze through low level maps, just make sure you have enough strength / intelligence to be able to use mjolner as soon as you hit level 66.

If you have any other questions feel free to post them in the thread, message me here or ingame at "Koragrill"

Hello there !

I'm using it atm, and I'm having a blast ! It's as cool as I hoped it would be !
I'm focusing now on trying to get a Voll's devotion, to put the build to the next stage, but for now, it's already tons of fun !
Here is a video of me today at lvl 70 in Dried lake : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KXe5ytqtDo&feature=youtu.be

My only issue is that I'm low HP (3600hp) and I'm afraid that many things will be able to One shot me in map with this number. I'll make it rise slowly with my few next passive points and jewels, but as we don't have that many spot for rare items and HP on the gear, it won't go really far I guess.
I'm also sticking to the Saffell's frame shield, for the extra resist and spell dmg. I don't really like to play with the Lioneye as I feel more like loosing than winning with it, but I may need to test it more.

Thanks again for your guide, and also to lDantonl who answered my questions and made an update of the build for 2.0 and 2.1 few days ago :)

Edit : I'm now lvl 78 with 4560HP and using the Lioneye's Remorse, and seems more safe ;)
Last edited by Alio on Dec 20, 2015, 6:20:26 PM
I have been trying to build this...I am currently trying to level with Lifesprig Firestorm>FC>Conc and Night's Hold using Flame totem...

What is the proper way to focus on the tree first? I am currently at the intell node Ancestral Knowledge and my damage is so low...

It says to level with spells which is what I would like to do but do I not pick up the attack speed til later?

Also I don't like molten strike that much and Lightning Strike is OK but I am a little lost on how to level...I am leveling up an Arc gem in my offhand and wondering what aura's to use and what nodes to go for first to level fast to try and get to mjolner.

I got Mjolner/Romira's Banquet and just leveling but any info would be awesome on what to do...

thank you. I am playing in HC...I am leveling up cyclone as well...But I think Melee is terrible for leveling so avoiding using them til later.
Last edited by RagnarLoftbrook on Dec 20, 2015, 9:13:41 PM
Hey korag any tips on working in MF ive added le heup of all manageing to keep Rez capped and gain 20% dmg dont know what else

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/cheechong123/characters what i got atm dont know what to upgrade lol
Last edited by cheechong123 on Dec 21, 2015, 4:38:41 PM
@Ragnar this build is a pain to level i agree but i used fire storm with fen coil flame totem and bladefalll it sucks but once u get the items on ur dps sky rockets to 1 shotting

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info