New Zealand - you suck at making flags

We may suck at map designing, but you'd have to travel a long way to find a better explanation of why our local rivers are running high:

https://www.facebook.com/WaikatoCivilDefence/photos/a.587197814689531.1073741826.102235759852408/872736792802297/?type=1&theater

Large Image
== Officially Retired 27/02/2019 ==

Massive thanks to GGG for producing such a fun and engaging game, it has taken up faaaaaaar too much of my life over the last 5 years.

Best of luck in the future!
Last edited by CaptainWaffleIron on Sep 2, 2015, 9:55:22 PM
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
A guy from my old university has assigned grades to the flags of the world's countries. It's worth a poke at if you've got time.

I suspect some of these ones would rate higher than the current NZ flag by his scoring methodology, although that doesn't mean his system is correct.

I quite like the second one, and could live with the fourth or maybe the third. The straght silver fern in black and white is too heavily associated with sport and particular sporting teams that I don't like the idea of it being used to represent the country.

I don't think there's inherently anything wrong with finding out whether NZ as a whole wants to change the flag, and if we do, we could do worse that these ones (see some of the lower ratings on the above link). I do, however, disapprove of the way this seems to be being used as an attention-grabber to keep the public eye distracted from things like the TPPA, and away for John Key to leave a legacy behind after we get him out of office.

He gave the American flag a C grade? LOL no.

To OP, apparently they stink at grading them too :p

Spoiler
Don't forget to drink your milk 👌
Last edited by TheWretch on Sep 2, 2015, 2:14:28 PM
No offense but those flags are pretty terrible. Looks like they were designed on deviantart.

New Zealand just go with the Hail Hydra! flag. You do belong to 5 eyes you know?
I'm not a fan of the finalists, they just remind me too much of Sports League logos. I would be more partial to something like The National Maori Flag.

Halloween just isn't complete without pumpkin spiced pumpkin.
Last edited by RobbieL_GGG on Sep 2, 2015, 9:34:19 PM
I like Tino Rangatiratanga as well, but its never going to fly with a lot of "white" New Zealand due to its association with Maori sovereignty. We like to to pretend we ain't racist, but I'm thinking that particular prejudice is going to run pretty deep for a lot of folks.

Shame really, it would have been a good choice. Can you imagine it winning out in a vote though?
== Officially Retired 27/02/2019 ==

Massive thanks to GGG for producing such a fun and engaging game, it has taken up faaaaaaar too much of my life over the last 5 years.

Best of luck in the future!
I'm a fan of crests, a lot of Africa's country's flags are sick
Don't forget to drink your milk 👌
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
... The straght silver fern in black and white is too heavily associated with sport and particular sporting teams that I don't like the idea of it being used to represent the country...

What's wrong with Sportsballing?
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
100% Ethical, most of the time.
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Last edited by Vaydra on Sep 2, 2015, 11:43:25 PM
Politicians tried to change the Australian flag, we just told them to fuck off and they stopped with that nonsense (Our flag is FINE dammit!). Also the choices they came up with sucked ass.
Computer specifications:
Windows 10 Pro x64 | AMD Ryzen 5800X3D | ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero (WiFi) Motherboard | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti Gamer | Corsair AX 760watt PSU | Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD & WD Black FZEX HDD
Last edited by Nicholas_Steel on Sep 6, 2015, 10:23:42 AM
Thanks for bringing this up, didn't notice.

As an independent state, I would hate to carry the symbols of former colonial superpowers, especially if they are so obvious/prominent as in NZ and AUS. (and hard to distinguish as a foreigner)

I like the second design, but I can understand worries about the branch beeing a sports symbol. Don't know it very well myself but probably looks misplaced on a national flag.

Dynamit,
Architekturkritik, die man tatsächlich sieht!

Farin Urlaub
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2nz5q9

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info