New Zealand - you suck at making flags

"
Raycheetah wrote:
"
i dont post much these days, but this little tit bit is too juicy not to share.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-34111928

this is my countries flag - Wales - yes i know its super badass.
http://imgur.com/tIZKpX2

Hey, at least you got a dragon for yours!

I kinda like the black, white, and blue candidate of the Kiwi flags, but a pic of the current one for comparison would've been useful to the article, not to mention an explanation of why they're so hot to change. =^[.]^=

This is the current NZ flag:

Spoiler

I haven't been following the debate, but I think the main arguments for changing the flag are that the current design is too similar to Australia's, and that while it acknowledges New Zealand's British heritage, it ignores New Zealand's Māori heritage.
Need some help? Contact us at support@grindinggear.com

Queen of Padlocks
A guy from my old university has assigned grades to the flags of the world's countries. It's worth a poke at if you've got time.

I suspect some of these ones would rate higher than the current NZ flag by his scoring methodology, although that doesn't mean his system is correct.

I quite like the second one, and could live with the fourth or maybe the third. The straght silver fern in black and white is too heavily associated with sport and particular sporting teams that I don't like the idea of it being used to represent the country.

I don't think there's inherently anything wrong with finding out whether NZ as a whole wants to change the flag, and if we do, we could do worse that these ones (see some of the lower ratings on the above link). I do, however, disapprove of the way this seems to be being used as an attention-grabber to keep the public eye distracted from things like the TPPA, and away for John Key to leave a legacy behind after we get him out of office.
I'm not a fan of the finalists, they just remind me too much of Sports League logos. I would be more partial to something like The National Maori Flag.

Halloween just isn't complete without pumpkin spiced pumpkin.
Last edited by RobbieL_GGG on Sep 2, 2015, 9:34:19 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info