At what point can you no longer play self found?

I play mostly self found, though I do some trading, depending on league.
In warbands, I've made all of two trades so far (once for Rigvald's charge, once for WoE).
My original character is level 85, and my second char is already level 79.
I've already found the uniques I'm going to use to power my 3rd character for the challenge.

Basically, unless you have your heart set on a specific unique, you can play self found the whole game as long as you have good planning and game knowledge.

Current uniques used on my characters, labeled as bought or found:
Duelist, lvl 85

Bought

Found

Mara, lvl 79

Found

Gear for 3rd char

Found

I don't play with any MF stats. But you find a fair amount of usuable uniques you can build off of if you know what you're doing.
Theorycrafter/Build Creator for PORTAL guild
@BlightScourge -> guide @ view-thread/1382667 (Retired till Mjolner is fixed)
Lvl 94 Crit Mjolner Marauder
twitch.tv/savagewolves
I always play solo/self-found. My current char is a level 92 summoner witch in Warbands, doing maps in the range of 77-80. I'm certain that I could take her to level 100 if I wanted to, the question is whether I really want to invest the time, as the game gets exponentially more grindy from level 90 onwards. But that's a dilemma that all high-end characters face, self-found or not.

Playing self-found is basically a self-maintained handicap that makes the game more enjoyable for players like me. To make it work well, there are a few things to consider:
- You need good knowledge of the vendor recipe system, and use those constantly.
- You need to be aware that many popular builds require specific gear which you won't have, so you either need to be creative with your build, or limit yourself to the 'starter' builds which do well without hard-to-find gear.
- You will generally be poorer than other players, because a lot of stuff that they can easily sell for a chaos orb or two, you can just vendor for alteration shards.
- You will really benefit (moreso than other players) from having more stash tabs. Increased stash space makes it easier to keep good gear for other characters, and to optimize your recipe usage.

Also, you have to be prepared to throw some well-known "best practices" overboard because they don't work well in a self-found environment. For example, I currently want to get at least 12 chaos per day so that I can buy chisels from Zana. I get those chaos orbs through the chaos recipe. However, at the map levels I'm playing, the recipe would give me regal orbs instead of chaos. So I occasionally do Voll runs or a low-level map, to get low-level rares, which I then use to voluntarily 'spoil' the regal recipe so that it gives me chaos orbs. For a usual player this would be a horrible waste, since he could just take the regals and trade them for a higher amount of chaos. But in self-found play, it's necessary to do such things. Stockpiling regals when you actually need chaos simply makes no sense, no matter what the "market value" might be.
Last edited by Psyringe on Aug 28, 2015, 2:08:07 AM
The above post is great but I wouldn't reccomend buying chisels with chaos. You should be able to maintain chisels with the chisel recipe fairly well (map+20%Q hammer). Instead of running low maps for chaos recipe I would run alched low maps to find a bunch of maps and hammers. I would, of course, complete the chaos recipe as well ;)
"
BackwoodsS wrote:
The above post is great but I wouldn't reccomend buying chisels with chaos. You should be able to maintain chisels with the chisel recipe fairly well (map+20%Q hammer). Instead of running low maps for chaos recipe I would run alched low maps to find a bunch of maps and hammers. I would, of course, complete the chaos recipe as well ;)

It may just be me, but I'm not finding enough hammers to sustain full chiseling on my high level maps. (Getting low level maps for the recipe is not a problem, it's the hammers.)

I currently have no trouble getting the 12 chaos per day for the chisel recipe. What I do is this:
- While running my lvl 75+ maps, I put full sets of rares into my stash instead of vendoring them.
- Those sets would yield regal orbs (recipe result), but I have little use for those at the moment.
- So I do a quick Voll run, or a single low level map that I'd do anyway (like corrupted Museum for sacrifices, or Vaal Pyramid for the Inventor card), and collect low-level rares from there.
- Then I sell my sets, and put exactly one low-level rare into each set, so that I get chaos orbs from the recipe
- I also collect special sets of rares with quality, since those give an additional chaos after getting the quality to 20% with some surplus whetstones/armor scraps
- This gives me enough chaos per day to buy 20 chisels and have some to spare

This seems more efficient to me than trying to specifically farm more hammers, because most of it can be done alongside stuff that I'd do anyway. However, I _could_ of course use all those chaos orbs to get the "Ambush" mod on one map per day, instead of buying chisels. I'm wondering whether that would be worth it, but it seems very expensive to put so much currency on a single map. Might very well be the better option though, I'm not sure. :)
I play mostly self found, till the release of Awakening when I bought +3 staff for my new SRS build, but it's only thing I bought, the rest its self found.

The problem it's there is a huge gap between my good gear and great gear or end game gear.
i'm at level 92 and improve my boots, gloves or any other piece of gear cost a lot of exalted, so keep self found or crafting, i have some high level bases to craft and with the masters i know now how to craft them, I think this way counts like self found... I don't know.

I don't find any better at this moment...
"This Is A Buff" (Bex_GGG august 30, 2016)
Nevah, SF for life rawr!

J/k, if I want something I buy it, i don't sell anything. I have played SF into mid maps without any issue with self cast spells and 2h melee.
I love self-found and yet also love trading. I also like to run a bunch of build experiments, so having leveling gear from trading is super nice. When I am playing one specific character build into higher levels, I have found that the point I choose to buy is based on when I feel I want to push the build harder or further. With sub-optimal gear you are limited in how hard you can push and you might struggle to see the build potential to it's fullest. That is what often drives me to seek out traded gear.

In terms of whether there is a hard gear cap that requires the best gear, not in totality, but in general, there are gear check points in the game mechanics that will certainly drive upgrades, whether traded or self found. You can self find forever, but you might hit a brick wall at much higher game levels until you self find the right gear.

Cheers 0/

Cheers 0/

Sibcoe
-------------
Last edited by Sibcoe on Aug 28, 2015, 10:39:09 AM
Self-found is a limiter you put on yourself. As soon as you start trading the strength of your character will skyrocket, but it's far from necessary. You can self-find your way all the way up to level 100 and run 82 maps with your cahracter. It will take an obscene amount of time (significantly longer than if you were to use trading) but it's very possible.
Every Saturday = National Booze n Poe Day
"
Psyringe wrote:
"
BackwoodsS wrote:

It may just be me, but I'm not finding enough hammers to sustain full chiseling on my high level maps. (Getting low level maps for the recipe is not a problem, it's the hammers.)

Hrrmm, do you have all three versions highlighted on your filter (stone hammer, rock breaker, gavel)? For the zana mod, i have had abysmal luck with cartos. I would rather have the 40% iiq from onslaught for 8c. More maps, chisels, and hammers!
"
Psyringe wrote:
I always play solo/self-found. My current char is a level 92 summoner witch in Warbands, doing maps in the range of 77-80. I'm certain that I could take her to level 100 if I wanted to, the question is whether I really want to invest the time, as the game gets exponentially more grindy from level 90 onwards. But that's a dilemma that all high-end characters face, self-found or not.

Playing self-found is basically a self-maintained handicap that makes the game more enjoyable for players like me. To make it work well, there are a few things to consider:
- You need good knowledge of the vendor recipe system, and use those constantly.
- You need to be aware that many popular builds require specific gear which you won't have, so you either need to be creative with your build, or limit yourself to the 'starter' builds which do well without hard-to-find gear.
- You will generally be poorer than other players, because a lot of stuff that they can easily sell for a chaos orb or two, you can just vendor for alteration shards.
- You will really benefit (moreso than other players) from having more stash tabs. Increased stash space makes it easier to keep good gear for other characters, and to optimize your recipe usage.

Also, you have to be prepared to throw some well-known "best practices" overboard because they don't work well in a self-found environment. For example, I currently want to get at least 12 chaos per day so that I can buy chisels from Zana. I get those chaos orbs through the chaos recipe. However, at the map levels I'm playing, the recipe would give me regal orbs instead of chaos. So I occasionally do Voll runs or a low-level map, to get low-level rares, which I then use to voluntarily 'spoil' the regal recipe so that it gives me chaos orbs. For a usual player this would be a horrible waste, since he could just take the regals and trade them for a higher amount of chaos. But in self-found play, it's necessary to do such things. Stockpiling regals when you actually need chaos simply makes no sense, no matter what the "market value" might be.

Very informative. Thank you. No, i don't use a cookie cutter build, after playing for 4 months and trying diff builds and skill gems, I think I have a good plan. Yes I know the recipes, and use them religiously, I have 10 stash tabs and will buy more when needed. I had a 46 Ranger which I deleted cause I got ticked off one night (yes I'm stoopid) and she was doing quite well so I'll duplicate that. I may start buying off poe.trade when/if the need arises. There's just something about saying " I did it all self-found" that appeals to me. Heck I played D2 Hell to completion and never bought/traded for a single item. Hoping to do that with PoE.

Cioa and thanks again.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info