[2.0] Lvl 93 Tempest [HC] Templar - Shock Nova/Call of the Brotherhood

Howdy,

I'm running a crit/hybrid version of your build.

First Question:

Why put Storm Call in a spell totem? I've been self casting and it seems to do great. Using that for single target and Shock Nova for AOE. I'm assuming it was an anti-reflect move because with a four link (Storm Call, Spell Echo, Conc Effect, Increased Multi) I can still feel the reflect on single reflect ele mobs.

Second Question:

In a Crit version what curses would you run? Assassins Mark and Temp Chains? I freeze a pretty respectable amount as is but I feel like Temp Chains would be both offensive and defensive in this case.

Anyway +1 for the guide. Helped me actually point my current toon in a direction. Thanks.
IGN : Jackyboy_Trade
c00L_Dabu:
"
Will you create a new Tempest character? It will be the same as the last one?

EDIT: How's your DPS in party? Is it low, normal or high?

I probably won't be making another Tempest character because school is starting in a week or so and that takes priority. If GGG makes a two-week league for Tempest like they did last season for Bloodlines I'll probably play that.

I played a lot in parties of 2 and the DPS was still pretty strong (somewhere between normal and high).
In parties of 3+ I'm not really sure because I didn't really play in large parties.

Jackyboy:
"
Howdy,

I'm running a crit/hybrid version of your build.

First Question:

Why put Storm Call in a spell totem? I've been self casting and it seems to do great. Using that for single target and Shock Nova for AOE. I'm assuming it was an anti-reflect move because with a four link (Storm Call, Spell Echo, Conc Effect, Increased Multi) I can still feel the reflect on single reflect ele mobs.

Second Question:

In a Crit version what curses would you run? Assassins Mark and Temp Chains? I freeze a pretty respectable amount as is but I feel like Temp Chains would be both offensive and defensive in this case.

Anyway +1 for the guide. Helped me actually point my current toon in a direction. Thanks.

That is a good idea actually Jacky, using a single target spell and an aoe spell, and I can see the benefits that offers. I think it comes down to play style. The reason I like Storm Call on a totem is because it allows for you to simultaneously cast nova and storm call at the same time, essentially offering you even higher single target dps. Also I've been in situations where I can drop a totem in a doorway and allow it to clear a room by itself while I walk in another direction and clear a different pack. Also it's very good vs high health reflect/corrupting blood monsters (some corrupting blood monsters I would have never had a chance against without the totem soaking the charges). I think it comes down to this: the totem offers a less damage storm call at the bonus of having greater utility. It comes down to play style that only the individual player can make.

As for crit curses, assassin's mark/temp chains all day. Yes sir! I was running that setup when I had the first iteration of this build (crit based until I nearly killed myself multiple times to the recently removed Thorn Flesh haha). Also assassin's mark is so good in minus regeneration maps.
Last edited by SleepThieff on Aug 13, 2015, 9:13:50 AM
If you're not going to make another one, can you sell me your Brotherhood gear? :D
Hey i'm playing this build and am currently around level 50 and will be choosing my 2nd bandit reward, and just clarifying that a passive is stronger than the recent buffed 5% cast speed. I plan on picking up nimbleness and a few other small cast speed nodes past the level 80 tree you linked. let me know what you think!

Konane
Pattyd:
"
Hey i'm playing this build and am currently around level 50 and will be choosing my 2nd bandit reward, and just clarifying that a passive is stronger than the recent buffed 5% cast speed. I plan on picking up nimbleness and a few other small cast speed nodes past the level 80 tree you linked. let me know what you think!

Konane

How's it going Pattyd

The great thing about PoE is the amount of choices and customization it offers to every individual. The 5% cast speed is potentially very powerful considering most cast speed nodes on the tree are only 3%; therefore it holds quite a bit of value.

That being said, I personally wouldn't pick it in this build because the build is based on freezing and freeze duration. Freeze duration is a function of damage, not cast speed - i.e. it's more practical to hit harder and slower than much faster and weaker. That extra point could be used to get another jewel socket which are extremely powerful. Again, it's not that 5% cast speed is bad; it's actually very strong. But in this build, cast speed isn't as important as potential survival points, utility, or flat increased damage.

For example, if I had to make a list of stats to look for on a weapon, then I would probably pick them in this order (for this particular build):

1) +2 to Lightning Gems (only look for this mod if you want your Shock Nova on the weapon. If you don't want your Shock Nova on your weapon, just look for the absolute highest spell damage + lightning damage sceptre you can find)
2) High Spell Damage [50+]
3) Lightning Damage
4) Elemental Damage [i.e. use a sceptre if possible and not a wand for this implicit. Remember "spell damage" does NOT affect heralds; only elemental damage/lightning damage does]
5) Cast Speed

As you can see, I would pick a slew of other stats before I would ever pick cast speed. Again, this comes down to play style. Perhaps I undervalue it, but that's just me. I'd rather just hit harder than cast faster.
Last edited by SleepThieff on Aug 14, 2015, 7:02:39 PM
Thanks for the in depth reply. I haven't really gotten to the higher levels yet so I tend to get tunnel vision over offensive nodes and cast speed in particular because who doesn't love hitting super fast. But yeah that makes sense that it's not an absolute priority for the build and I'll choose the passive from the bandits then for probably cruel and merciless then.
Thanks!
Hey !

What about a +3 socket wand ? (+2 lightning / +1 all gem), too much of a loss with spell power and cast speed ?

Ty for the guide !
Alio:
"
Hey !

What about a +3 socket wand ? (+2 lightning / +1 all gem), too much of a loss with spell power and cast speed ?

Ty for the guide !

+3 Wand is great! +3 Sceptre is even better! Remember, the implicit on a sceptre [% increased ELEMENTAL damage] is better than the implicit on a wand [% increased SPELL damage] because spell damage does NOT affect heralds [heralds are not spells].

Also, cast speed is a suffix whereas the +1 is a prefix, so they don't take up the same slot.

Here is an example of a perfect +3 sceptre/wand [try to get a sceptre if possible]:

Prefix: +1 to gems
Prefix: +2 to lightning gems
Prefix: % increased spell damage

Suffix: % increased lightning damage
Suffix: % increased cast speed
Suffix: whatever you want, crit, mana regen, a resist, strength, etc.

If you aren't completely sure about prefixes and suffixes, this is a great site that shows them for all pieces of gear:

http://poeaffix.net/
Last edited by SleepThieff on Aug 16, 2015, 1:53:57 PM
Thanks for the quick answer !
I'm still trying to figure how to make my character safe when mobs are not freezing (rares and boss essentially), I may invest points in block to try to mitigate incoming damage.

Also, do you have any recommendation for potions ? I'm using 2 instant life, 1 granite, 1 quicksilver, and I have now 1 free pot as I don't need anymore my old mana pot. Maybe a cool unique pot that would do nice in the build ? :)
Alio:
"
Also, do you have any recommendation for potions ? I'm using 2 instant life, 1 granite, 1 quicksilver, and I have now 1 free pot as I don't need anymore my old mana pot. Maybe a cool unique pot that would do nice in the build ? :)

I used the same setup as you did. Two health pots, 1 granite, 1 quicksilver.

If you would like a unique potion Atziri's Promise is quite good, especially since it offers you a way to leech life [something this build lacks]. Also they are rather inexpensive, about 5 chaos. I highly recommend this flask if you are comfortable using it.

Obviously there are extremely expensive flasks too like Rumi's, Divination Distillate, and Taste of Hate.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info