Cold to Fire

I nominate Cold to Fire for the worst support gem award. I've been trying to think of good ways to use it, but you will always be better off with another support gem.
Brutus. Do you even sync?
coldsnap + con effect + ele proliferation + this
ice spear + crit damage + this
glacial hammer + this + anything, but preferably weapon elemental damage

more elements you're doing the less you have to worry about resistanced foes. or if you have 50/50, then you can both burn and freeze nicely.
I personally find IIQ/R worse because they don't make numbers happen and I find grinding boring, so there.

But really, what Soul mentioned. For any Cold damage build running Crits, Cold to Fire allows you to trade some excess defense (ten-second Freeze in three-second fights!) for damage (Ignite). Elemental Weakness makes both elements work just fine and dandy. Split damage works well against resistances.

It's not The Best (TM) and it's not likely to be used much, but it's far from useless.
I can see cold to fire being useful for elemental melee builds that happen to pick up the 30% increased weapon fire damage node in Marauder area and have a lot of +cold damage from gear, possibly running hatred, and they have a item with almost perfect sockets, but stuck with a blue one, and rerolling to exactly what you need being nigh on impossible. So it might have a place with like that one guy.
Hey...is this thing on?
I've been using this gem for my shadow fire summoner. I link it with FP for crowd control and with elemental proliferation; works great before minions explode. At least in my case, it's definitely a preferred gem as it can chill or freeze enemies while doing increased burn and fire damage.
this gem should really work in blue and red gem slots
Thought this gem might finally see it's day with the new Infernal Mantle, but the Fire to Chaos conversion occurs before the Cold to Fire conversion, meaning you can even lose damage by using it :/
BreakingHearts/RhoaHood/BackAndVeryLate (Standard) | HushtailSweep/HushtailWeeps (Ancestor)
"
Thought this gem might finally see it's day with the new Infernal Mantle, but the Fire to Chaos conversion occurs before the Cold to Fire conversion, meaning you can even lose damage by using it :/
you sure about that? did someone try yet? it'll still be somewhat low due to convert "chain" (.72 *.25 = .18 chaos damage from cold). but mind you, due to converting, the chaos damage gets benefits from cold and fire and elemental passives that it couldn't before.
"
soul4hdwn wrote:
"
you sure about that? did someone try yet? it'll still be somewhat low due to convert "chain" (.72 *.25 = .18 chaos damage from cold). but mind you, due to converting, the chaos damage gets benefits from cold and fire and elemental passives that it couldn't before.
It's a bug with the Mantle that takes the 25% Fire damage out but doesn't always add the Chaos damage in, but Mark said this should be fixed soon. Looks like it can do some damage after all.
BreakingHearts/RhoaHood/BackAndVeryLate (Standard) | HushtailSweep/HushtailWeeps (Ancestor)
This would be much more useful, if 20 lvl converted 95-100% of cold damage to fire, (instead of 72%).

Why would anyone use this gem, if he can use another gem, that provides much more DPS bonus?
Resistant foes can be dealt with Cold penetration gem, for example.
IGN: MortalKombat
Molten Strike build guide: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1346504

There is no knowledge
That is not power

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info