[2.2]10K EHP FIRESTORM BATTLE MAGE[updated Feb 29th]

I'm using this build but swapping Kaom's out for Cloak of Flame cause I'm broke, as well as adding two Mokou's Embrace rings. I'm having a buddy run Purity of Fire and it seems to be doing well so far.
Thanks for posting this build, been having great fun with it for the past few days. This is my first time following a guide and I wanted to let you know you did a great job explaining it all.

I was hesitant to put a point into MOM but now that I've done it at 70 the difference in survivability is insane.
"
bx9141 wrote:
I see you got to lv79 in tempest already! how's the build working out in HC? just curious.. hc is too stressful for me =)

It's been pretty good. I got insanely lucky and 6s+6l in less than a stack of jewelers+fusings. Damage itself not exactly insane, but I dont have level 20-21 gems yet, which should help a lot. Having so much survivability is a very nice change of pace (I'm used to running ~4800 hp eva crit builds).

Still not sure if running Arctic Armour is worth it. It's fine in most cases, but it might reduce the one-shot damage threshold you're able to take.

Let's say you had 7000 hp and 3000 mana, which means it takes a 10000 hit to kill you. I'm not completely sure if MoM factors before AA. But with AA, that should mean u take a 8700 hit = 6090 hp + 2610 mana. However with the current build, you only get roughly ~3200 mana at best, so thats 3200 - 800 (AA) - 279 (clarity) = 2121 mana, which means you take .. a 6579 hit.

Assuming previous math was right, then you need at least 1700 unreserved to break even with not using AA.

Alright I guess it might be actually better.. but I'll have to recheck that math in a bit. Either way, you need a good chunk of mana to offset the 25% reserved, especially if MoM gets calculated first. I've got mana rolls on all my gear, but only at 2740 (1800 unreserved). Should be able to break 3k with more levels.

edit: MoM comes last in calculations (makes more sense too).

I'm also testing if it's worth running blood rage (need two unset rings, 1 for AA, 1 for blood rage). You can somewhat sustain it with passive regen + end cry regen + leech, but you still degen a bit. While the skill itself doesn't offer much, frenzy charges give 4% cast speed + 4% more damage. I went from 1507 tooltip to 1689 with 3 charges.

edit: It's too much of a pita to get two good unset rings with the right stats. The trade-off isn't really that worth the trouble.

Got a Doryani's Invitation finally. Have mixed feelings about trading 406 hp for damage+leech. Both are very nice to have.

How important do you think a Ruby Flask is for non-reflect maps later on? I haven't really taken much damage from reflect mobs yet, so I'm tempted to switch it out for a granite/taste of hate/atziri's promise.

Last edited by Linfei on Aug 10, 2015, 9:40:57 PM
"

How important do you think a Ruby Flask is for non-reflect maps later on? I haven't really taken much damage from reflect mobs yet, so I'm tempted to switch it out for a granite/taste of hate/atziri's promise.

I think ruby flask is very important even if you are not going to attempt any ele-reflect maps. Once your firestorm avg. dmg goes above 2k, reflect damage will be higher than what you can leech back. ele-reflect mobs in curse immune/-max resis/low regen maps requires ruby flask as well. From my experience with this build, elemental damage from mobs are more dangerous than phys damage, since most of the heavy-hitting phys damage mobs are very slow, usually you can just actively dodge them. I have been hit 6-8k by orchard boss, pack of firetrap throwers in a -max dry peninsula map, pack of fire alchemist in -max maps, crit from temple/residence boss etc.

IGN:darude__firestorm
i really liked your way of doing mana MoM fire dmg caster but i never liked firestorm
so i took your gear, links and build and adjusted it a little for incinerate
im lvl 85 at the moment in warbands and i just LOVE the character
it has so much clearspeed
this is it

passive tree
Spoiler
https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAwAAAZEEBwSzCGcI9BBYFm8YPBhWGjgabBzcHwIfxyHDJKok2CcvKPopTyqNK3gsnC2LLagt0jI0NsU22DbpOlg62DrhQYdDyEWdRtdJG1NSVcZX4VugXypj_WZUaPJqQ20ZcYVyD3rmfA58S4KbgseDCYPbhTKFbYV7h2WPGpBVkNaTOpRvlnSa4Jtdna6iAKZXpwinVayYr7exkLaGtz631riTvOq9J76AwFTAZtWB1abYJNi921njauQi6-Tr7uw47FXtIPAf8WzyRfKX-WX56P4K?accountName=abdhulla&characterName=O__ITI_o

gear
Spoiler

thx for sharing !
Could i use a searing touch until i get a pledge?
"
Could i use a searing touch until i get a pledge?

ofcourse. searing touch will have similar if not better damage than a pledge, it's just your mana pool will not be as effective for MOM
IGN:darude__firestorm
Great build! I like the combination of kaom's and pledge to make your charecter super tanky!!! I do tanky builds even in standard - means I can play much more recklessly :D
How do you reckon this build would do on other types of skills? I dont like firestorm so much - it can block vision and cause lag.

The reason is I'm concerned that I wont be able to pull off enough damage since you have to invest alot of nodes in life+mana! However I must say with the hybrid life/mana nodes etc. this tree is really efficient!

I really like EK or shock nova, but this also means going heavily into crit. I actually like EK more since you dont have to invest in the area nodes in addition to crit, oh and the alternative effect for EK looks cool as hell. I play witch so thats what Im going for!

Here is a template I made for EK:
Spoiler
https://www.poebuilder.com/character/AAAAAgMARKuPpoIQ37BVriycQZYFQtD1TLOus9teUDAgbu_r0B8EB4PbVcZfKuvk6-58gxEtuJMc3Cj6jxr56ILHQYe9Jxg8GFa3Pti9_gqmVzrh8kVN4_6PNZJTUkWdmuBFRzLRwGaiAASz8B9o8pZ0fEuPRqcIWK5epRNxHRS2-vemjmT60uNqFm826SSqZp6FfRZAlSAtH8HzoqO4yjt8D8R_xhGWBx6VLvDVSVGP-uv18h0OSF3ycFKJ03DVY0MN0bzqaxdqQ8BUCPRyD5RvZlRZ8xo4kFUnL4Uywwm5k_PqKgu1SB9BBiMDHha_YeImlVVL

note that I took 2x10% critical multiplier at doomcast over having 20% crit chance and 12% phsical damage(path of the warrior) down at the scion life wheel. It seems better.

Template for shock nova:
Spoiler
https://www.poebuilder.com/character/AAAAAgMARKuPpoIQ37BVriycQZYFQtD1TLOus9teUDAgbu_r0B8EB4PbVcY6WF8q6-Tr7nyDES24kxzcKPqPGvnogsdBh70nGDwYVrc-2L3-CqZXOuHyRU3j_o81klNSRZ2a4EVHMtHAZqIABLPwH2jylnR8S49GpwhYrl6lE3EdFLb696aOZPrS42oWbzbpJKpmnoV9FkCVIC0fwfOio7jKO3wPxH_GEZYHHpUu8NVJUY_66_XyHQ5IXfJwUonTcNVjQw3RvOprF2pDwFQI9HIPlG9mVFnzGjiQVScvhTIdg5WHrJcwW1JTl5U9X-98PAXDCbmT

This build gets the area nodes and crackling speed cluster. This is however at the cost of some crit and life in shadow.

The lack of strength and dexterity in these builds is because I intend to use a headhunter+onyx amulet = 70str and dex, maybe the shock nova build will have to equip 1 additional item with strength.
Last edited by Harmster on Aug 12, 2015, 7:54:39 PM
Thank you for showcasing this build!

I was looking for something different to play this league and Im loving this setup! Im just about to equip my Pledge and in the process of saving for Kaoms. Im wondering what 5/6 link setup you would use until Kaoms? Ive been using a dual curse setup with temp chains and flammability. Im thinking of keeping that setup in my chest and using that to engage mobs and then dps with the Pledge firestorm. Its made kiting a lot safer and I can swap out flammability for ele weak or enfeeble depending on if I run in a grp. Oh and I do already have enough dex in my gear to use a max lvl temp chains. Im also wondering if you would consider any vaal skills in your setup. Thanks for taking the time to read this and I look forward to your response!
Thanks for posting this build which gave me some new insights. At the moment I'm running a Firestorm Scion as well though I'm going for more migitation via Lightning Coil instead of more life with Kaom's and also use dual curse (Warlord's + Flammability). Most elements are the same though - largely similar tree, MoM, Pledge of Hands etc. I have some dexterity though (about 100) so I'm going to try Arctic Armour.

A question: is Increased Duration linked to Firestorm really better than either Added Chaos Damage or Iron Will? I realize the power of a longer Firestorm but it doesn't really help you kill things faster, only with less casts. Obviously good in high-level boss fights where you have to run in circles for some time to not be killed but seems less effective at clearing maps fast.

Also, I would value Molten Shell (+ Conc Effect + Fire Pen + Increased Duration/Life Leech) higher than putting Flame Dash + Flame Golem in there. Like Flame Golem, it has to be recast every fifteen seconds or so, but unlike Golem, it provides some protection and actually kills things. At level 14 my Molten Shell does an average of 13k damage which should easily go up to more than 20k with your build. Of course, against melee bosses Vaal Molten Shell is even better.
scroogetemplar / scroogewitch / scroogemarauder

Freezing Pulser (safe + affordable): https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1529856
Last edited by scrooge999 on Sep 21, 2015, 4:01:39 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info