Does Melee Kind of or Totally Suck?

"
"
SamChowders wrote:
Cyclone.

In my experience, gets hella blown up. However, none of my characters have had 50,000 defence + 10,000 hp + max all res + 30,000 dps so maybe I was just doing it wrong.

Etup got to 100 in tempest without a shield doing cyclone. He never really struggled with anything but vuln+poison zombies+82 map in that case he had to get a poison arrow friend to help him clear that map.
This dual claw build works quite well. My guy's only level 36 at the moment but I have watched a friend use it and it was going really well.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Dr Who (Tom Baker, 1976).
Last edited by Elcardil on Aug 4, 2015, 12:26:20 AM
So, is it just me or is this a "git gud" thread?

Seriously, if you're finding melee weak, in this patch, you're doing it wrong. Melee has so many defenses, if you stack them properly you should be impossible to kill even with stupidly cheap gear.
Still waiting for GGG to admit that they made mistakes and actually work on fixing them.

You'll find me when pigs start flying.
I think Melee is in a better spot, compared to where it was before The Awakening.

however, there's one basic truth about playing melee: you're only as good as your weapon.

Ranged can live with lesser gear, because they can kite stuff around.
for Melee, every hit counts. and if you don't hit hard enough - the monsters surely will.
which also explains the popularity of "semi-ranged" skills like Reave, Ground Slam etc' - they allow you to not necessarily be in things' faces while attacking, so you can get out more easily when things hit back.

and just to be clear, Facebreaker counts as "weapon" too. and the stuff needed to support it are definitely "gear".
sure, I have little issue running around with a Legacy 953 version and a bunch of exceptional farmed-over-two-years flat physical jewellery and gear, but I'd really like to see someone with the utterly pitiful 600 Facebreaker (why the hell did they nerf it so hard?) and self-found support gear, survive in a Temp League. especially Act 4 where every damned thing has a billion DPS, and a quadrillion HP.
Alva: I'm sweating like a hog in heat
Shadow: That was fun
"
"
RogueMage wrote:
Ice Crash Facebreaker, check out my level-73 Scion.
I must admit, I'm somewhat incredulous that this build with this gear would not get chewed up in even some of the lower maps. What's the def/res/dps and stuff?

My Scion ended up at Merciless Black Core at level-72 with 4K HP, 400 life regen/sec, 6 Endu Charges, max resists, 30K dps with Ice Crash, and 10K dps Cyclone. That was enough to slaughter Maligaro, Doedre, and Shavronne without any deaths.
Last edited by RogueMage on Aug 4, 2015, 1:48:34 AM
you can choose.. 2hand rt cyclone or facebreaker cyclone
"
So, is it just me or is this a "git gud" thread?

Seriously, if you're finding melee weak, in this patch, you're doing it wrong. Melee has so many defenses, if you stack them properly you should be impossible to kill even with stupidly cheap gear.

Git gud is something people who use the phrase "git gud" need to do with regard to language skills.

I've retooled a bit and found a better setup which gives me more armor, hp, res, and surprisingly, dps. Lost a little bit on the LL and ML but seems to be inconsequential.

@RogueMage that's pretty cool, maybe I'll roll one of my full respecs that way and play around a bit.

@johnKeys this current character I have is definitely the best, though I'm kind of annoyed that some stuff just seems required. And not just one thing, having multiple must or bust elements makes me feel like there is not as much build freedom as there appears to be on the surface.

PS I don't know why I have immortal call in the boots. Will swap that out for abyssal cry.
Last edited by YariChinMaiNichi on Aug 4, 2015, 2:36:03 AM
Movement skill + faster attacks + fortify + endurance charge on melee stun every 5 seconds. Don't use fortify in your main 5 or 6 link. Fortify is godly. High level (18-20) CwDT + Immortal call + increased duration. You don't want it procing constantly, you want it to save you from death. Manually cast enduring cry before jumping into packs.

Life rolls on your jewelry is kinda low. You have ~ 80hp between the 3. I don't understand why romiras, but there is probably something I'm missing there.
Anarchy/Onslaught T shirt
Domination/Nemesis T shirt
Tempest/War Bands T shirt
Last edited by reboticon on Aug 4, 2015, 2:57:37 AM
Melee are really strong in 2.0, cyclone, ice crash, reave , ground slam ....
Locksep+fortify=op

"
Swords36 wrote:
"
"
SamChowders wrote:
Cyclone.

In my experience, gets hella blown up. However, none of my characters have had 50,000 defence + 10,000 hp + max all res + 30,000 dps so maybe I was just doing it wrong.

Etup got to 100 in tempest without a shield doing cyclone. He never really struggled with anything but vuln+poison zombies+82 map in that case he had to get a poison arrow friend to help him clear that map.

That not true even him said he cant do most of boss in high lvl map... unless he have in the party a QUAD Curseur
"
JahIthBer89 wrote:
Considering the first 100 in this round of leagues (with no real competition) was 2h cyclone in HC, melee isn't in such a bad spot.

Melee doesn't have to mean that you can expect to eat every single chunk of damage ever thrown at you either. Sometimes you have to know when to back off.

Weird that no one else picked this up, it's an important point really. Especially the underlined part is true.

Just because you play melee doesn't mean you can always stay in melee. Telegraphed attacks and spells still need to be dodged.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info