Does Melee Kind of or Totally Suck?

@reboticon I was going to remove Romira's but it's weirdly good. For some reason, it adds a healthy chunk of dps and also I need the mana leech and mana. The power charges are nice too. I know the life is low on the jewelry, but some of the other stats make them better than another 80 hp imo.

@grughal That a strong defense for melee characters is implied is no big deal, but strong defenses seem to be necessary for every build (not necessarily a bad thing, it's a feature of this game). Because every character needs strong defenses, it seems like ones that don't get hit as often have an out-sized advantage. That's ultimately the issue I have experienced/observed.
Not every character requires high defenses, especially those on the right side of the tree. If you're playing phys spectral throw/reave/flicker, for example, you will never get hit, as you will never be in a single spot, ever. Also, these builds are likely to clear the entire screen in a second or two, and dead mobs can't kill you. That also means that these builds end up being rather glass cannons a lot of the time, but they can achieve high levels just fine.
For try, for see, and for know.

This is a buff
My two melee toons do well enough. Cyclone with poachers mark regens faster than most npcs can dish out. My ice crash is a farm toon that's also stable.

Only my cyclone toon runs fortify.
There comes a time thief when jewels cease to sparkle, gold loses it's luster, throne room becomes a prison, and all that's left is a father's love for his child. - King Osric
cyclone is braindead option in the 'normal' budget bracket. when one has mirrored/high-ex gear then other options open up (like frost blades). these builds are created differently as they do not need to care about raw stats and can focus on stuff that is normally omitted (additional layers of defense)

however i find claw builds very powerful in 2.0, my reave dw claw can clear anything i had available and only stuff that got him was volatile fireblood that simply did a sad 'plop' death

gear for reference:
Spoiler

4040hp, enough damage to one shot stuff in 76 vorici/tora dailes

that 100%+31% inc leech rate is.. worth it in practice

melee is in the best spot ever imho. id just tone down cyclone (in the low-mid end spectrum) synergy between movement/sustain/stun immunity/cheapness. it is just too good, to versatile and yet safe and works with pretty much anything.
Last edited by sidtherat on Aug 4, 2015, 1:00:17 PM
If you think flame totems is the only map viable build without getting blown up then you're just inexperienced.
Every Saturday = National Booze n Poe Day
TC, just stay away from Vaal Cyclone melee... I heard it really really really really sucks ;)
"
Nasreth wrote:
If you think flame totems is the only map viable build without getting blown up then you're just inexperienced.

I thought I made it clear that what I have to say on the matter is anecdotal but I guess I didn't.

In any case, I'll have to check out some of these other builds. I get to level 85ish and then the leveling gets super slow because even a death every 20 low level maps really sets the clock back.

I was looking for videos on the dual claw builds that claim you never die, and rave seems like it has some potential. Anything that gets the insta-death when encountering a certain mod is automatically trash-pal. Not even having a chance is not my idea of entertaining.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AK3MmVL9Kc

have only that uploaded, got cut short as i've forgotten to restart recording after wading trough loot

if you want me try harder maps - i accept donations :)
"
sidtherat wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AK3MmVL9Kc

have only that uploaded, got cut short as i've forgotten to restart recording after wading trough loot

if you want me try harder maps - i accept donations :)

your video isn't an answer to OP's claim.
it's more of an illustration of the problem:

1) with Reave reaching half-way across the screen, this can barely be called "melee" to be honest.

2) judging by the way you 2-shot monsters, you have some pretty awesome claws.
which proves my earlier point, that melee is basically as good as the gear you put on it.

@YariChinMaiNichi, that is some sweet gear.
but I agree with Reboticon's suggestion about going for a Leap Slam + faster attacks + fortify + endurance charge on Melee Stun 4-link on the gloves, or a LS + FA + Fortify 3-link and an Enduring Cry single.
this will also put the Immortal Call in the boots to good use when you need it.
Alva: I'm sweating like a hog in heat
Shadow: That was fun
my gear is linked few posts above in its entirety and if anyone calls it 'very good' im gonna laugh and hard. the only good part of that setup is the chest that gives 100% inc leech rate. stat that is pretty damn awesome in 2.0

people like to move the 'goal post', reave in my case is as melee as it can be (i do NOT use shift-attack to keep the range!) and i did not even bother with enduring cry and slipped few flask rounds

i have also lvl85+ cleaver (2*axe) and lvl 85+ molten strike (with 7link thousand ribbons so i'm playing without chest armor). all do just fine (feel free to rummage trough my char rooster)

one has to simply decide when nodes 'are worth it' because each time i read complaints these contain that sacred phrase 'but id have to sacrifice too much dps' or its sister 'these nodes are not worth the travel'. i see it that way: one can clear bit slower but not die and outpace xp-wise someone with huuuuge paper dps that dies each 5 maps. choice is up to the player.
Last edited by sidtherat on Aug 4, 2015, 3:30:20 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info