Warlord's Mark

"
soul4hdwn wrote:
"
NancyNM wrote:
texts of confusion
how much hp does your character have? and how much damage are you taking? you're obviously being in large groups of mobs. int and dex classes who have low hp, can get stunned more easily because of thier lower hp compared to the damage they are taking (when they do). this also applies to str classes too if they didn't pump up thier hp/armor.

i've had tons of witches and rangers "flinch" a lot and unable to cast a skill or spell, or a skill or spell was canceled out. due to such short duration (350ms base time atm), it doesn't block movement unless you are surrounded or there is excessive amount of ranged on your butt =p.

I don't have access to exact details (I'm traveling and can't play again until Saturday :-( But the character is a Marauder who has a "normal" build, HP-wise. I do tend to try to trigger it while I'm surrounded by mobs -- with my play style I am always wading in and surrounded by mobs! So I will try to pay more attention and see if I might be stunned when it's not working.
Does the leech effect work on physical damage spells like ethereal knives?
"
RaffoBaffo wrote:
Does the leech effect work on physical damage spells like ethereal knives?
extremely unlikely, "when attacked" sounds pretty specific to non spell hits.
i just tested it and it doesn't seem to work
Playing a Ele Templar.

Stuck this curse on a support totem. Awesome combination, I just pop it behind me and whole mobs are cursed letting me sit in the fight to focus on damage output.

Lvl 44 on Ruthless. Using 2 handed sword with Heavy Strike, Cleave, and Lightning strike.
The new mana/cast of this curse is a bit too high, it's unmodified 38 mana per cast at level 4. That's a whole freaking lot of mana for a str and/or dex class (~level 28), actually that's about 30% of the manapool you have at that level. Even worse with the rampant desyncs that make you miss half of the time.

Not leveling it isn't much of an option, since the AoE and leech is diminiutive at single digit levels.
Last edited by Unhold on Nov 3, 2012, 3:57:17 PM
Got this gem last night when starting Cruel Mode for the first time as a Ranger and after playing around with it for a bit here are my early evaluation remarks:

1. Too high a mana cost for its short duration. This would seem like a huge boon to a ranged class since we tend to have lower HP and want to stay at range to kill. However, we also tend to have low mana pools as well and not enough ways to get mana back to keep this curse going, especially at lower level. Maybe at higher levels it's better, but would be nice if the initial costs at lower curse levels would be a bit lower.

2. Like other curses you want to get multiple targets hit by it for extra benefit, but that can be extremely bad for a Ranger since often times getting enemies grouped up means they will also be in your melee range. That's never a good thing and by the time you get the curse off you may have taken a lot of damage and are scrambling for health potion hotkeys. Now, I know this is a bit of a L2P issue, but it leads into my next point.

3. The radius is a bit too small. Again, for such a high mana cost as well as being a potential positioning annoyance the skill starts to lose its luster a bit when you need multiple casts of it. By that time you could've either killed the group and saved yourself the mana or spent it on better AOE abilities that get the job done.

4. Ok...this one will probably be debated a bit but for me the physical damage aspect of the leeches doesn't help as a Ranger. I do have Split Arrow and use it frequently, but it's not the only skill I use. Burning Arrow, Poison Arrow, and Lightning Arrow also see plenty of use, but since most of their damage is elemental and they can hit a lot harder than Split Arrow (and better for single target) I don't get good returns on the curse so it seems a bit of a waste for me to cast it. Plus, the elemental arrows just do so much more damage and I would be silly not to use them...yeah. Perhaps allowing some elemental damage to leech might would be nice, or maybe let elemental damage work on the mana leech portion and keep the physical for the life leech? I dunno...just a suggestion. :)

5. Love the flask charges but the endurance charges seem a bit weak, even at 20%. Might be a little OP but maybe it would be better if it was 'Has a 20% to grant Endurance Charges on hit' especially since at lower levels not everyone kills things in 1 hit most of the time?

I'll continue to play around with it, but so far I'm sorta on the fence about it. It seems like a great idea, but I think it needs a few tweaks to make it better.
"
Tanakeah wrote:
4. Ok...this one will probably be debated a bit but for me the physical damage aspect of the leeches doesn't help as a Ranger.

So don't use it on a Ranger. If you're not building Physical damage, Leech isn't going to work. That... Makes perfect sense to me, and I don't see why this should change.

The Leech support gems work off all damage, and this made them extremely powerful. Not sure it'd be a good idea to make more Leech available to all damage types...
"
Tanakeah wrote:

5. Love the flask charges but the endurance charges seem a bit weak, even at 20%. Might be a little OP but maybe it would be better if it was 'Has a 20% to grant Endurance Charges on hit' especially since at lower levels not everyone kills things in 1 hit most of the time?

This would make it not only a little, but completely overpowered. You would be at max endurance charges pretty much all the time, even as a ranged spec. The endurance charges are a nice bonus, since you don't have to cast enduring cry that much.
"
Vipermagi wrote:
So don't use it on a Ranger. If you're not building Physical damage, Leech isn't going to work. That... Makes perfect sense to me, and I don't see why this should change.

The Leech support gems work off all damage, and this made them extremely powerful. Not sure it'd be a good idea to make more Leech available to all damage types...

Doesn't make perfect sense to me at all. Considering the main draw of the skill is to use it for 'on demand leech' and you really can't spam it due to high mana costs I really don't see the problem with allowing it to allow other forms of damage to benefit from the leech effect. Outside of Rain of Arrows and potentially Split Arrow (and to really get max benefit from RoA you would want to be a more tanky Ranger) those are really the only two physical ranged skills that can put out any sort of damage to gain from the LL. Also, considering most people probably won't see the LL gems until higher difficulties (I have yet to see one drop in Cruel, though I know this is only anecdotal evidence) and armor with LL doesn't exactly fall from the sky, having a skill like this earlier on helps and continues to benefit later on.

"
Unhold wrote:
This would make it not only a little, but completely overpowered. You would be at max endurance charges pretty much all the time, even as a ranged spec. The endurance charges are a nice bonus, since you don't have to cast enduring cry that much.

I barely get any charges on kills, and that's even with killing large amounts of mobs like the monkey packs at the start of Act II. I have never gone above two charges even with running around trying to herd enemies together to kill them in packs. I really think you're overestimating the 20%...it's not that good at all and I believe that if it was moved to 'on hit' it would be a bit better. Not to mention the mark doesn't last forever and you can't really spam it to keep the charges up.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info