Viper Strike

You can apply VS in ~a second and then switch to a different skill, if you want to. It lasts effectively forever anyways. That 2k DPS is also without Shock, which I also mentioned as a source of DPS improvement. It's not hard to land one crit in the four hits, which improves the damage by 40% again.

EDIT: WhoopsIforgotsomething. Level 18 is super easy to get due to those +Gem level affixes. At level 20 (also pretty easy to get!) it ticks for 2759.12 DPS at four Charges and Vuln.
Last edited by Vipermagi on May 23, 2013, 10:53:05 AM
"
lightning strike hits at most 4 foes...

Quality Lightning strike pierces. Anyway, contrast with Lightning Arrow on LMP, if you prefer. This has a built in 'splash' of its own. Plus, as you say, shock. I have a shadow who has LA on LMP with 3K DPS. You can kiss entire packs goodbye when I start hitting them with volleys; and I can do it from off-screen. So... needless to say... I'm not convinced.

"
You can apply VS in ~a second and then switch to a different skill, if you want to.

Fair enough. But now melee requires two skills where ranged only requires one. Hummm.

Last edited by Courageous on May 21, 2013, 10:22:51 PM
I still hold onto the hope that Viper Strike will be re-enabled in the future, when they've fixed/balanced it with Splash.

Then I can make a Dual-wield Redbeaks Low-Life Pain Attune build, maybe even throw in Phase Acrobatics for sh1ts and giggles.. :P
IGN: Golem_Antsy, Harvest
I'm not sure how that build really benefits from Viper Strike/Splash though? Aside from Viper Strike dealing its damage anyways, which is nice I guess. Neither PA nor Redbeaks apply to Damage over Time (PA doesn't apply to Attacks in general, even).
I wish Viper Strike did higher damage per second over a shorter period.

What I'm finding now, using it as my primary attack (with multistrike) is that my play style involves applying a pile of charges then Whirling Blades out and wait around for a while for things to die. It isn't a very intense manner of fighting, short frenzy with a bunch of wandering around.

Another solution that would be exciting was that if attacks against targets with max charges would apply a bonus chaos/poison direct damage proc. Add incentive to continue fighting. Greater risk, greater reward.
The name stops making sense when spiders and other monsters use "Viper Strike." Why does a spider know what vipers do?

Perhaps you can rename the skill to something like, "Venom Strike" to eliminate flavor issues while still retaining the functionality and expectations for it.
Last edited by Mistform on Jun 27, 2013, 2:14:40 PM
It's funny... Do any of the snakes in the game even use Viper Strike? I mean, Some breath fire and some shoot projectiles, but not a single one uses Viper Strike.

The spiders also even hiss, which is based off a video of a single species of spider that rubs its legs together to make a somewhat similar sound.

Anyways, I totally agree with the name change suggestion.
same name in-game
i dont know if that was answered before, but at least the tooltip doesnt show so.

so: does the dot dmg scale with
? it doesnt seem so.
anybody knows? (+100% dmg on low life)
Last edited by gloobonious on Jul 26, 2013, 1:52:24 AM
Damage over Time does not benefit from Increased Damage.
This skill should definitely see more love.
right now it falls back as a dmg dealer skill, no passive to make it stronger, not many support gems that can acctually make it better.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info