Sweep

Feedback after this point is for 0.9.7
Balance & Design
"
I would like to confirm with the developers: sweep's speed is independent of base weapon speed, correct?
Correct

"
Assuming this is true, I suppose that damage is based on weapon damage, rather than damage per second, correct?
Assuming I understand what you mean, then yes. All attack damage is based on weapon damage. Nothing is ever based on DPS, DPS is just calculated form damage/attack speed/hit chance/crit chance to be displayed as an average to the user. That value isn't (and couldn't reasonably) be actually used for anything. It's also wrong for sweep because it doesn't know about this behavior, so will be using weapon base attack time.

"
Sweep's speed, however, is affected by ias on items. Assuming it is also properly affected by skill ias, its base speed appears to be something like 0.87 attacks/sec.
1.15 seconds base attack time, which works out at 0.869ish attacks per second.

"
Could I suggest that on skills that do not use weapon seed (sweep, and I believe ground slam?), the skill descriptions reflect this? Say, "Sweep attacks 0.87 times per second, independent of base weapon speed but affected by increased attack speed."
This may be added in future, I'm not sure. We will fix the displayed attack time on the popup in future to account for this behavior.

"
Could I also ask what the design decision is for making sweep and other skills have their own (hidden) attack rate?
Leap slam is the most obvious example. There's no way to make an animation of a guy quickly crouching, leaping into the air, coming down again and crashing his weapon into the ground, which looks even vaguely decent if that entire animation takes the same time as it takes said guy to make a single quick strike with his weapon on something in front of him.
The same is true of swinging a two-handed weapon in a full circle, to a lesser extent. I don't know why it's that way on ground slam, that was before my time - I suspect it's the same consideration, because ground slam has it's own animation, but I think (but haven't tested) we could make ground slam use the base weapon attack time without it looking too silly.

There are also balance reason, especially with leap slam (if the entire leap took the time it takes to make a melee attack, it would be completely broken and a great way to get around).
"
Finally, I believe attacks may be ~1% slower than they appear on the character screen. More careful tests may confirm this.
Could you please provide the reasoning and evidence that leads you to this conclusion?
I'm not going to pretend to understand everything you've done there, but the discrepancy looks small enough that I suspect it's not really a problem, and is probably and artifact of how timing works in the game engine. There's always going to be a little bit of processing happening before an attack actually starts playing an animation, etc.
Thank you for putting so much effort into this.
Thanks for the heads-up, I've updated this.
"
Silty wrote:
For example, leap slam could be based on weapon attack speed, but have the "70% less attack speed modifier" built into the gem. This would allow leap slam to scale as usual without looking silly.
This would make a huge range of speeds as which leap slam could be used, many of which would look silly.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info