Leap Slam

Well, personally, it feels outright ridiculously floaty with such a long duration.

Perhaps it could be modified so that the actual jump is very fast so it feels right, with a long impact animation?
We have plans in future to split the animation into the leap, the air time, and the land, so the air time can scale based on distance - This will stop the skill feeling so slow if you're only jumping small distances. It means a lot of work for our animators though!
Balance & Design
I'd settle for a floating pink box if it meant a more functionally pleasing skill.
Id like a faster jumping animation atleast.. the airtime is not important for me, and the way it is, it actually feels like a jump

On the exit, since the skill has a damage component, the delay shouldnt be to long, and being able to cast a skill almost as soon as you land would really help to keep combat fluid
"
Rory wrote:
We have plans in future to split the animation into the leap, the air time, and the land, so the air time can scale based on distance - This will stop the skill feeling so slow if you're only jumping small distances. It means a lot of work for our animators though!

From my use of the skill so far this seems like the perfect solution for the skill. Using it on longer distances it feels just fine in it's current state but on shorter distances it feels like you're on the moon.

On another note I really never saw the spell as a damage spell except versus small enemies that group up in huge groups (read:monkeys) otherwise I only use it as a gap-closer versus Ranged mobs and it is very pleasing to Dodge goatmen leap strikes by leap striking yourself. As long as the airtime gets the mentioned scaling this will be a must have skill for any 2-Hander build I'll run. If not for the damage then definately for the Utility.
I don t know if leap slam was adjusted,but it now feels pretty balanced and radius seems ok too. So maybe i was imagining things.Very very slightly weak maybe if anything but i think it is good overall.Accept for animation issues previously mentioned and how sometimes it does not activate but i think all the skills in general have problems activating sometimes.I suspect GGG is working to fix skill activation and make the combat more fluid.

I agree though with others leap slam activation should be faster a little.That is why i suggested a cooldown.You could lower cast time and add a cooldown to limit use.To me cast time has a different effect then a cooldown,but i am not certain of this.Maybe they both serve the same purpose?

cast time = amount of time it takes for skill to activate?

cooldown = amount of time in between casting a skill which it cannot be cast again?

Maybe it is already planned but you could scale damage radius of leap slam with gem level. Slightly (10-15%max) less radius then now would be a good start for level 1 to moderately(50-60%) larger at max level. If it does scale i have not noticed it very much.
Last edited by IDeAdOneI on Dec 9, 2011, 6:16:52 AM
i have lvl 61 marauder 2handed axe using leap slam as primary attack. maybe not the best but thats just the style i play. this skill gives more suravavibility on chaos maps then cleave besause its like half range attack. something like hit and run tactic.
the problem i encountered on chaos maps are the stuns. there is something strange going on, let me explain:
it occurs when you hit the skill button, characters starts the animation and then stun takes place. And now i dunno how is this possible but i can have 2 endings:
- the skill is stopped, im stunned, no damage or
- the animation is stopped, im stunned, damage is deal to the area i clicked.
As the first option could be more ok (but still would be better if i will be unstunnable after casting this skill becouse it is slow enough) the second option brings synchronization problems (the game think im in the place where i landed but screen shows different).

once i was even stunned (but only once) in the middle of air. dont ask me how... and im not talking about freeze.

as a feedback to the skill itself - it should do more dmg and hit a lil bit faster. especially the start of the animation is very slow. as knockback itself isnt bad its just not working at all. i mean it gives nothing. the skill should have some longer stun, like 2 seconds.
i got my beta key from Icoblablubb - vielen danke !!!

the first (and only?) 6 linked blue sox on magic armor in beta :P
0.9.5 feedback below this post

Regardless of whether you apply base weapon speed to it and instead add a modifier to weapon speed (around -47%), or just keep it so that it doesn't account for base duration, it needs a buff.

Applying a base weapon speed would buff it a bit, but not really at all for most 2-handers if the modifier is -47%. It could definitely use some extra damage as well.

If ground slam keeps it's "cast" time, it should be reduced and/or the attack damage should be increased.

Without a buff, the skill will still remain as a seldom-to-never used attack, only used for wall/cliff jumping, or in rarer scenarios, locomotion.

I could care less about the air time, but it does look unrealistic (particularly at short distances). The biggest issue I experience/notice is that it has 1-2 discrete problems, and fixing one generally just worsens the other:
1. If most of the attack's delay is before the jump, it makes it slower for getting out of hot situations, plus it becomes more easily interruptable (which makes it hard to get out of hot situations)
2. If most of the attack's delay is after the jump, it makes it terrible for making combo attacks, because they can either attack after getting hit, or run away after getting hit (if they even get hit at all).

I guess this skill somewhat overlaps with shield charge or flicker strike, but there are obviously differences. I think they should be worked on to be yet more distinct though.

I also agree that it should have a stun or something. My ideal vision for this skill would be an expensive mana cost (or a cooldown), and then both a substantially reduced "cast" time, and reduced "aftercast" delay. This way it can be effectively used as a quick escape skill, or quick ambush skill to execute a combo with, without having to worry about it being exploited for really high DPS.
Requiring endurance charges to use it is another option (or maybe generating endurance charges instead —although sweep would be a good candidate for that too if it wasn't made to be a DPS AoE skill).
Fresh cakes for all occasions.
Delivery in 30 eons or less
Call 1-800-DOMINUS
Remember - 'Dominus Delivers'
Last edited by Xapti on Jan 5, 2012, 9:22:47 PM
I think it would be a good idea if leap slam did more damage the further you jumped. Different levels of sound effects for smashing the ground would make that feel pretty amazing too!

I understand there are plans to change the animation, but even as the animations stand now, it APPEARS as if a further leap should do more damage just because the character moves so much faster, so it kinda naturally feels like it does more damage right now anyway.

This would also mean that better control, as in walking away to leap rather than hopping up and down in the spot would be more rewarding.

It would also better diversify the spells so that AoE skills like cleave would be a far better choice in a close up situation. Like right now I'm using a 2 handed mace and leap slam is my main AoE attack. So with a mace cleave is not possible, but it doesn't even matter to me because I can just hop on the spot with leap slam and do massive aoe anyway without having to play any differently than I would if I took a sword and went cleave. Complimenting leap + cleave would feel better too.

It could also add to that feeling of "oh so many baddies! I'm gonna lure them into a big group and get a huuuge leap on their faces"
Last edited by Shase on Jan 26, 2012, 5:11:41 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info