Ice Spear

The transformation is distance-based, not time-based. Faster Projectiles does not have any effect on when it transforms.
There's nothing to change the distance either.
"
Zoen wrote:
I'm beginning to think this is +600% of the base crit (7%), which means it's just an additional 42% chance for a critical hit.

Why do I think this?

If 95% is the critical cap, it certainly doesn't feel like 95% of my Ice Spears are landing a critical. That or I'm just having some very odd streaks of bad luck to miss a critical 5 times in a row.

can anyone confirm how this works?

Lets say your character has 100% increased critical strike chance from passives and items combined

For Ice Spear's first form, it is fairly obvious, that it's chance to crit will be 14%.

For the second form, is it

7 * (1 + (6 + 1)) = 56% chance to crit
or
(7 * (1 +6)) * (1 + 1) = 88% chance to crit

based on my experience, it seems to be like the first case. I also tested the Increased Critical Strikes Support, and it follows the formula of the first case (not increasing the base critical strike chance).
https://www.youtube.com/@esvbanARPGs
it is additive to other increases and multiplicative to base.
so the first example you gave: 7 *(1+(1+6)) = 56%

what i think the person in quote means (and didn't math correctly) is:
7 *(1+6) + 7 *(1+1) = 63% [using your example to assist the explanation]
which is blandly wrong.
The base form has a 7% crit chance, with each additional 100% from gear adding 7%.
The second form has 49% crit chance, with each additional 100% from gear adding 7%.
The best way to think about it is to add 42 to your crit chance after all modifiers.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
has anybody combined ICE SPEAR(S) with PIERCE support?
Does it make it go trough ALL the monsters untill it has reached maximum distance?so makes shape manipulation cancel the ethereal thingy?
What i mean , without Pierce,it just passes trough 1 mob and hits the second,right?with pierce chance from the support gem Pierce- it passes trough all untill it meets max distance & fades??
Normal behaviour is that it changes shape after a fixed distance. In its first form, it can hit any number of targets. When you add Pierce, the second form (with increased Crit Chance) gains a chance to Pierce as well. The first form is unchanged, since 100% Pierce is the effective cap.
So what would linking Pierce to frost spears achieve?what beneficial effect?:D
Last edited by thegamingkage on Jan 30, 2013, 10:34:33 AM
I haven't even beaten Act 1 yet but I am loving this spell! Not sure if the people complaining about it being OP have valid points or not since I haven't gotten a chance to dabble in any support gems yet but I would hate to see this skill become obsolete after a nerf.

If it really IS too powerful at higher levels what about decreasing the crit chance of the 2nd form but giving it some buff proportional to the number of targets that get pierced during phase 1? (Maybe X% crit damage per target pierced? Or granting phase 2 splash damage and increasing the radius of effect X% per target pierced?) This would give more incentive to reposition yourself to get enemies in a nice line and provide a greater reward for the increased risk of having enemies within that Phase 1 range as opposed to just sniping them from across the screen.
If it is OP in endgame- and I can see the potential even playing with it in normal -the best way to balance IMO would be to reduce the crit multiplier for it. Anything else will change the gameplay of it too much.
i have a question.

Let me presume I have a weapon. Lets say a stave with 6.68 base crit chance.

Lets say it has local + crit chance of 30%.

Meaning it has 8.684% crit chance.

an additional 600% would make this: 60.788 (7 times greater)

Now its been said in this thread that any +% crit would add onto this at this stage.

eg if i had +100% chance to crit i would get 60.788 + 8.684 = 69.472% crit chance.

So with this in mind I am thinking about how i could make 95% crit chance with this skill.

95-60.788 = 34.212 (the amount of crit chance i need)

34.212/8.684 = 3.93 (the decimal amount of crit chance needed)

Therefore to get a 95% crit chance (the maximum) with this spell you would need 393% increased crit chance from gear and passives.

If so would any passives and gear have to be + critical strike chance % or would it be ok to have +spell critical strike chance for example.

Is my thinking correct on this ?

And if my theory is correct, what about the question on the type of crit id be looking for?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info