Critical Weakness

Thanks. Really prompt reply too, lol. In fact I had something else to add that I would have just edited in if you hadn't already answered the original post.

"
I'm not at all sure how you concluded that people with higher crit chance benefit less from this - it's increasing the damage you deal on each crit, and thus will always be better with higher crit chance than lower. Similarly, since it's a percentage increase to the multiplier, it will always be better with a higher multiplier than a lower one.

Not always.
The most extreme example is if a character had 91% critical chance, and 150% critical multiplier, compared to a character who had 5% critical chance and 1100% critical multiplier.
While the curse always helps someone, whether they have a low or high critical chance or multiplier or both, it does not always help them by the same amount.

In the example, almost tripling the chance of a critical trumps out the fact that it's increasing the critical multiplier by a huge amount. The gains from the multiplier is a certain percent, but the gains from the critical chance increase is a much larger amount.

I concluded this based off math — it's just the way the cookie crumbles when an absolute additive mod is used instead of a multiplier.
Taekvideo's spreadsheet even shows this phenomenon
Fresh cakes for all occasions.
Delivery in 30 eons or less
Call 1-800-DOMINUS
Remember - 'Dominus Delivers'
"
Xapti wrote:
Thanks. Really prompt reply too, lol. In fact I had something else to add that I would have just edited in if you hadn't already answered the original post.

"
I'm not at all sure how you concluded that people with higher crit chance benefit less from this - it's increasing the damage you deal on each crit, and thus will always be better with higher crit chance than lower. Similarly, since it's a percentage increase to the multiplier, it will always be better with a higher multiplier than a lower one.

Not always.
The most extreme example is if a character had 91% critical chance, and 150% critical multiplier, compared to a character who had 5% critical chance and 1100% critical multiplier.
While the curse always helps someone, whether they have a low or high critical chance or multiplier or both, it does not always help them by the same amount.

In the example, almost tripling the chance of a critical trumps out the fact that it's increasing the critical multiplier by a huge amount. The gains from the multiplier is a certain percent, but the gains from the critical chance increase is a much larger amount.

I concluded this based off math — it's just the way the cookie crumbles when an absolute additive mod is used instead of a multiplier.
Taekvideo's spreadsheet even shows this phenomenon
I'm aware that multiplier and chance affect it differently, I meant changing one independant of the other. I was referring to this part:
"
Xapti wrote:
For someone who specializes in critical attacks, they would have a much much higher critical chance, let's say 33.8% chance, and hence get REDUCED benefit of using this curse compared to if they had a lower critical chance.
Where it appeared to me you were claiming that regardless of multiplier, increasing critical chance was reducing the benefit. That confused me.
All feedback after this point is for 0.9.6.
Balance & Design
Would it be overpowered if this allow players to gain power charges in some way with this curse?

It seems to me the only skill baised towards something like that at the moment.

Based on the information in this thread, it makes this combined with the increased critical strike multiplier support on a skill crazy good.

Not too many support gems have synergy with curses as of yet so this is very welcome.
-Meteoric Destiny!
Last edited by MDragoon on Feb 21, 2012, 5:35:33 AM
Feedback after this point is for 0.9.7
Balance & Design
It seems to me that the visual effect is a lot bigger than the actual radius of targets hit. For one, I believe it hits targets in a circle and it shows a square (which is a little confusing).

Also the general radius of targets hit is not really big.

If a group of not-packed, but not-spread mobs come towards me, and I cast it in the middle, I will only affect 3 or 4, compared to the ~8 the visual seems to cover.

This makes it feel underwhelming, even though it isn't.
ign:mptyspace
As a new player I found it not clear in the description if it affects the spells or not. Generally in these kind of games physical and magical crit are seperated so it creates doubts while picking it

Lvl 30 Witch: Summon-Cold-Curse
"
Zalek wrote:
As a new player I found it not clear in the description if it affects the spells or not. Generally in these kind of games physical and magical crit are seperated so it creates doubts while picking it

Lvl 30 Witch: Summon-Cold-Curse

Really? I'm a RPG veteran myself, and found it very clear that it increases critical strike chance across the board. If physical and magical criticals were separate, then it would state which it applies to.
"
Juoppo wrote:
"
Zalek wrote:
As a new player I found it not clear
Really? I'm a RPG veteran myself, and found it very clear
He said he was new, and that it was confusing to a new player. Understanding it because you are a veteran doesn't somehow make it clearer for newbies.

I will never understand why people come out of the woodwork to thumb down good suggestions. What's the harm in making it clearer to understand?
PoE is Diablo 3
Diablo 3 is Torchlight 2
Torchlight 2 is Fate 5
can someone explain how to use skills im new here
I own diablo 1,2 and 3 on battle.net and i own world of warcraft and path of exile is alot better i would apriciate a beta key cause i want to help developing the game

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info