Cold Snap

"
Incompetent wrote:
Is it practical to hard-cast this as a main skill if you don't have Romira's Banquet? The low crit chance is kind of annoying for sustaining charges. Honestly, any spell with a long cooldown now makes me think 'turn back hard casters, this is a skill reserved for the CoC master race'.

If you just want to freeze everything, the skill is competing with Freeze Mine, which is not as game-breaking as it used to be, but still potentially quite cheesy. The main advantage Cold Snap has is that it's an instant hit anywhere on the screen, no setup required.
Cold snap is not meant to be a main skill imo. Pre buff (also pre all those juicy elemental nodes in witch and templar areas) I tried using it on a leveling character for a while with romira, while it did offer good utility, it had poor clear speed. At the time it wasn't worth it to build for it.

My favorite selfcast use for coldsnap was cold snap+elemental proliferation+curse on hit+curse(s) on my rampage ice spear freezing witch, very good utility and safe since it works from a large distance + it's instant. Lead with cold snap when entering a room/opening a box/..., follow up with lmp ice spear and ice nova spell totem. If cold snap critted, most of the trash mobs in the room were dead as well.

Late edit: I did never actually answer the actual question: in my testing on the leveling concept character (about level 70), cold snap as main skill did not work without romira+RT. But I've never actually tested it on a high crit+power charge character. The only way I could see it work, is with a lot of charges as buffer, voll's protector (power charge on crit isn't reliable enough + is less good with echo) and lots of spell crit on tree+items to get a high base. Even then you probably have to carry an ice spear to be able to build up charges when needed (after they ran out or after crit rng was against you). I might test it on one of my standard characters, could be fun.
Last edited by RunawayFixer on Jan 13, 2015, 6:22:29 AM
If you want it as your main skill, consider traps (like older builds used to) instead of that unique.

Grab Elemental+Fire nodes and Avatar of Fire, then socket Trap+Cold Snap+Cold to Fire (+Fire Pen) to get both freeze and ignite.
Mobs that don't instantly die receive 25% bonus damage thanks to Templar's new nodes.

You could also argue that Arctic Breath+LMP used in the same way would do more damage, but you'd need a 5L for that setup.
Last edited by Darkwings83 on Jan 25, 2015, 8:40:47 PM
Even if it's not supposed to be used as a main skill, cold snap received no balance changes pertaining to its damage and AoE, as most all AoE spells did. So now, the tree has less AoE, it gets outranked by Ice Nova for damage, AoE, clear speed, and ease of use. with the nerf to Ele Prolif it's useless as a main skill, and useless as a utility skill because of it's terrible AoE.

Where's the cold snap love GGG?
Not sure if it's a bug or a fearure, so I've decided to post it here.
So here is what I found: Cold Snap does not work properly with Cast on Critical Strike Support gem. Though my char has enough Power Charges up, Cold Snap not consumes them and not being cast by CoCs gem until end of cooldown.
Thus Cold Snap works far worse then it could have been working with my CoCS build, because I have plenty of Power charges and I want to utilise them somehow.
It would be great if someone could look into that issue and confirm or disprove it.
Yeah it seems to me that Cold Snap needs a buff.
I remember about a year ago it having fairly high damage despite being a little awkward to use.
But now as other skills have been buffed it loses out to Ice Nova and Vortex for raw damage and ease of usage.

It just doesn't do enough to justify it's usage.
Why havent this spell gotten a update???
A triple curse Coldsnapper works ok'ish for lower end maps. AoE is you main issue, where ne need to carefully place your "snaps" to be able to get whole packs.

I always wonder why GGG can not at least bring back some AoE on this skill..

CMON!
Don't Touch my Sweep please GGG!
This gem is filled with bugs or it's made this way by GGG on purpose ...

I tried both setup linked it with cast on critical support gem.... gem bugged.... didn't consumed power charges to bypass it's cooldown...and I also place it in Cospri Malice sword ...same behavior...was casted one then it entered cooldown and didn't consumed power charges...

I have like 8 power charges and I'm able to generate them quite fast...but this unable to make a grasping hands coc build :((

What's wrong with this gem ? it seems it will only consume a power charges if the player cast it normally ....

Is there any chance to get this gem fixed ?!

Planed to make a coc freezing puild around this gem but it doesn't work !!! :(

Regards, Infinity !
Long Live the Templars !!!!
I find cold snap to be very under par compared to pretty much every other skill in the game. It has an awful cast time, a 4 second cooldown, small area of effect, and does mediocre damage at best. Frankly speaking, I find it easier to make a frost bomb witch over using cold snap.
Main characters: Deep_water - AnomaIy - Artica
Build guides: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1602863
"
DreamScythe wrote:
I find cold snap to be very under par compared to pretty much every other skill in the game. It has an awful cast time, a 4 second cooldown, small area of effect, and does mediocre damage at best. Frankly speaking, I find it easier to make a frost bomb witch over using cold snap.

Its just awful,and the usual Romira's + Resolute Technique combo means you cant even use Elemental Overload to boost that mediocre damage even a little.
The AEO nerfs makes it even more bad.
Last edited by dualestl on Mar 16, 2017, 4:04:53 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info