[FIX] Windows 10 "Unable to initialize"

Symptoms
Upon launching PathOfExile you receive a message box containing the string Unable to initialise followed by application termination.

Applies to
Windows 10

Cause
Cursory analysis suggests a compatibility issue with PathOfExile's particular TTF font encoding.

Solution
- Download FixPoeFont
- Extract to directory containing PathOfExile.exe (likely: C:\Program Files (x86)\Grinding Gear Games\Path of Exile)
- Launch PathOfExile

Remarks
FixPoeFont substitutes PathOfExile's custom fonts with system standard fonts; Verdana is default however can be configured via FixFont.txt

Source to FixPoEFont is also here: http://laserblue.org/FixPoEFont.cpp
"The problem is there ARE secure netcodes" -- Pewzor
Last edited by Emjayen on Jul 31, 2015, 2:02:57 PM
Last bumped on Jan 5, 2018, 1:02:21 PM
Im getting the error: "The application was unable to start correctly (0x0000142)" after trying your fix.
Also, this was in the file called FixPoEFont.txt

31-07-2015 17:03:37 | ------------------------------------- FixPoeFont Loaded -------------------------------------
31-07-2015 17:03:37 | ERROR: Failed to hook AddFontMemResourceEx | (126) The specified module could not be found.
That's interesting; I'll look into it.
Okay so, your fix works if I launch the game from PathOfExile.exe, gives me the mentioned error above from PathOfExileSteam.exe, and when launching from steam, it doesnt seem to be doing anything.
WORK for me !!! Ty dude !!! Windows 10 and i play.
Last edited by blue2000 on Jul 31, 2015, 11:19:01 AM
"

Okay so, your fix works if I launch the game from PathOfExile.exe, gives me the mentioned error above from PathOfExileSteam.exe, and when launching from steam, it doesnt seem to be doing anything.

Fixed; updated.
Last edited by Emjayen on Jul 31, 2015, 11:27:26 AM
wow, thx a lot for this quick fix!
works perfectly on the steamversion now.
Nice work Emjayen... Is there a way to fix this without a 3rd party process injecting/replacing things?

Is there a font that needs to be installed, or something GGG should package/fix to make this just work normally?
"

Nice work Emjayen... Is there a way to fix this without a 3rd party process injecting/replacing things?

Is there a font that needs to be installed, or something GGG should package/fix to make this just work normally?

Unfortunately not as, regardless if the font is already installed, the game will continue to attempt to register it (and fail doing so). Thus, the only real way around it is to 1) Patch the game image 2) Replace the font (which is from the GGPK.

I've ofcourse opt'd to just patch it at runtime for obvious reasons.

The real issue appears to be with Win10; whatever TTF encoding GGG are using is being rejected even when attempting to manually install and I don't have a dev. machine with Win10 at the moment to look into it further.
Last edited by Emjayen on Jul 31, 2015, 12:50:22 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info