Display driver stopped responding and has recovered

game ran fine for days at the awakening launch but since a few days (2.0.0f ?) the game blackscreens/crashes my gpu drivers every ~5minutes after starting the game. updated drivers, problem still persists. gpu is not overheating, i only get the crashes in poe (no problems running csgo/lol/hs/gta5 for hours)

specs:
- gtx670 (353.30 drivers)
- i5-3570k
- 16GB RAM
- win7 64

- windowed fullscreen
- vsync off
Last bumped on Sep 16, 2016, 3:03:31 PM
Are you using any MSI Afterburner or EVGA Precision X type of software that controls the GPU and adjusts settings?

Have you over-clocked or messed with your GPU settings at all?
im using no other tools than the basic nvidia control panel and have not overclocked/messed with my gpu in any way
I ask because often times, those video cards come with "driver" installation disks which install "tuner" applications and other things.

These can cause issues and you might not even realize they're running.
yeah i've read about a similar issue with precisionx on the forums but that doesnt seem to be the problem in my case since i try to avoid those "tuner" applications as you rightfully called them.

thanks anyway ;)
Only thing I can think of is power issues.

If the card is somehow not responding properly because it is being under-volted, that can also cause the card to crash and recover.

You might want to download the latest drivers directly from the nvidia website, then download Driver Sweeper.

Boot into safe mode and run driver sweeper to clean remove the current drivers, then reboot and reinstall the latest drivers again.
Op you are not the only having this issue. I having same issue as well as others.
Started after 2.0, i have updated drivers, did not change any settings have been playing poe for awhile now and never happened excpet after 2.0
Other games it does not happen on.

Usually for the first 10-15 min of gaming ill get it every 5sec up to a minute and then i can play for another 3 hours and it is fine.

Something is fucked up and it is not our hardware or software.

"
Drakier wrote:
Only thing I can think of is power issues.

If the card is somehow not responding properly because it is being under-volted, that can also cause the card to crash and recover.

You might want to download the latest drivers directly from the nvidia website, then download Driver Sweeper.

Boot into safe mode and run driver sweeper to clean remove the current drivers, then reboot and reinstall the latest drivers again.

as i said before i dont have any problems running other (more demanding) applications for multiple hours so i highly doubt its a voltage/overheating problem.

the drivers i downloaded are directly from the nvidia page (http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us)
other games are not PoE so you cannot compare them, and your take on "more demanding" is subjective.

What most people don't understand is how demanding PoE really is on your hardware.

Part of the problem is how PoE is designed and optimized, but it is one of the most demanding games I've seen.

It doesn't have to have to top of the line realistic graphics to be demanding.

PoE is demanding because it uses almost every component in your PC simultaneously. It has extended and high utilization for almost everything... CPU, GPU, HDD, RAM, etc.. they're all being constantly used at very high utilization for extended periods of time. This causes heat which causes fans to run higher which pulls even more power.

A lot of PSUs aren't designed for that type of continual load from every rail simultaneously. It's not uncommon for the GPU to become power-starved and crash. In a lot of cases, this actually causes the PC to spontaneously reboot rather than just crash the card.
I have this problem with Drivers stopped working and bla bla bla, game freezes for like 20 seconds and the come back. I am unable to kill the process during that time so i am just waiting to die on tempest with this error, but anyway...

I have noticed that this error occures more likely when i am running other 2d application

- so primary this happend when running in windowed mode (even full screen windowed)
- when i am running video on background - including flash/HTML5 player in browser - youtube playlists? no no no!

Some drivers are better than others - as AMD, 15.4 (?)(beta) drivers were fcked and it crashed the driver every time i entered a zone. So it might be driver version specific error.

And then the overclocking - i am running my AMD R9 280x with slight OC (1100Hz on chip, memory intact) with increased powerlimit - it is stable, have no effect on crashes. I tried to pull to 1200 and then i crashed like 3 times in 5 minutes - so , OC is a possibility.

Clean install of drivers - there is possible that some components after installing new drivers remains in the PC, so best is to use some cleaning utility and reintalling drivers on clean system.

And regarding how PoE is demanding - it is funny, but the optimization is very very poor, yet it is demanding as hell. CPU/GPU usage won't exceed 40% of usage in PoE and my system has no obvious bottlenecks, other games can use easily up to 100% of GPU, even crappy F2P asian mmo's i play some times for fun.
I represent only myself, my own thought and believes. I am individual, not a representative of the community.
I am not speaking on behalf of someone else and I don't get offended by things that have nothing to do with me.

3.13 was the golden age.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info