Ranger dialogue is terrible - she hates animals

"
coatofarms wrote:
"I've done for you what I would do for any wounded animal, Brutus"

Ok. Starting a new toon and just realized the ranger is really fucked up.

A normal person would nurse a wounded animal back to life. Not shoot the wounded animal with an arrow. Animal cruelty, hello?

Why would GGG add this kind of dialogue into the game?

This kind of dialogue is NOT OK. It makes you hate playing as the ranger.

I'm going to disagree with what a "normal" person would do, since altruism studies don't really show most people making big efforts to help others. A few will go out of their way to help, even if it takes personal sacrifice (personal risk). A few will make big efforts as long as there's no risk to their own situation. Many will make small efforts, and many will make no efforts whatsoever.

In the "kinder and gentler" world we live in today, a large percentage of people wouldn't stop to help a wounded animal. They would take some pictures or video, and post it somewhere. They might be troubled to make a phone call for someone else to help. There would be plenty that would just walk on by and let the animal die slowly and in agony.

"Putting it out of it's misery" - is considered an act of mercy.

This misericorde may not look like an implement of kindness, but that was one of its major functions:

"Euthanasia was administered by thrusting below the neck down into the heart."

There is even a term for this practice - Coup de Grâce
(/ˌkuː də ˈɡrɑːs/; French for "blow of mercy") is a death blow to end the suffering of a severely wounded person or animal

PoE Origins - Piety's story http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2081910
"
coatofarms wrote:
But there's a huge difference between the following sentences, "Putting wounded animals out of there misery is an act of kindness." and "Putting MORTALLY wounded animals out of there misery is an act of kindness."

I understand you better now. And can agree with you in some cases. But you should have put the word "mortally" in front of the word "wounded" to make yourself clear.

Because what if an animal hit it's head and suffered a concussion? Then it would be just wounded. Perhaps a little confused. It would not be OK to euthanize the animal or straight up kill the animal.

Brutus is in a cursed state. Imprisoned and mad for countless years (problably in pain, too). You kill him. All the NPC lines talk about how it was like an act of mercy. The ranger line about comparing brutus to a wounded animal matches perfectly the cliche of hunters ending the misery of these when mortally wounded.
You jumped into conclusions without actually reading into the context. I think you should work on that.

Also about the topic on animal cruelty, if you really consider yourself and animal lover then I want you to ask yourself these questions: if you were a hungry castaway in an island full of bunnies and without any reliable food source, would you eat some? how many times have you crushed bugs? Do you find them appealing? What about plants (life forms too)? Do you care about their well being because they are alive like you?

Knowing the answers to these questions may give you a better idea about what means to love animals and nature. Wraeclast may be an terrifying continent, but our world is just as cruel.
As animals, we have no choice but to consume other lifeforms to survive. We cannot do photosynthesis like plants, it wouldn't be efficient with our faster metabolism.
So we must kill to live. That we cannot change.

But we can choose *how* we kill our prey, and which prey we take (non-endangered species for example).
We can also choose to favour free-ranged animals rather than jam-packed-in-a-barn.

~Back to Wraeclast
I see corruption as creatures changing, suffering, but unable to die. Like suffering from a cancer that also makes you immortal. Not a fun life. Thus killing the corrupted is probably what they would wish for themselves as well.
"
nonhuman wrote:
As animals, we have no choice but to consume other lifeforms to survive. We cannot do photosynthesis like plants, it wouldn't be efficient with our faster metabolism.
So we must kill to live. That we cannot change.

But we can choose *how* we kill our prey, and which prey we take (non-endangered species for example).
We can also choose to favour free-ranged animals rather than jam-packed-in-a-barn.

~Back to Wraeclast
I see corruption as creatures changing, suffering, but unable to die. Like suffering from a cancer that also makes you immortal. Not a fun life. Thus killing the corrupted is probably what they would wish for themselves as well.

Unfortunately "free range animals" usually just means they have about 1 foot to turn around, instead of standing still in your own shit until its your time to get pulled through a vat of electrified water.

Too many people nowadays, not enough room or time for less fucked up farming.
Hi

cheers
Conan: Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.
Never dance with the Devil because a dance with the Devil could last you forever...
-I thought what I'd do was,I'd Pretend I was one of those deaf mutes-
Nullus Anxietas:)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info