Why bother with pure ES?

"
randrew wrote:
ES is much better suited for hit and run tactics, something you're forced to do as ranged spellcaster. It also gives you no movement speed penalty like armor does and it isn't rolling dices like Evasion.

Nearly all torsos and shields give you a movement speed penalty. It's just that on tower shields, pure Armour torsos, and Armour/ES torsos, the penalty is doubled.

The basic effect of Evasion is not 'rolling dice'. Actually, Evasion combines very well with ES because fewer hits -> easier to get your shields to recharge.
Last edited by Incompetent on Feb 17, 2013, 5:18:10 PM
I personally have no problems with Energy Shield overall. It's a great damage buffer that can be increased and make even more awesome with the right gear and passives. While I only have 800 ES, it's more than enough buffer to soak in most hits without it even touching my health pool. Coupled with my 2.2K HP pool, I can take hits from most things even in LVL 70+ Maps as a summoner.

What I really don't get is Chaos Innoculation and people's desire to sacrifice their HP and ability to use pots to survive, especially when you take into account the fact stuns and elementail ailments are calculated on your health. Chaos damage is kinda rare and it's usually only a couple monsters in a map, and with very few HP nodes and some basic HP on gear you'll have enough HP to mitigate it, especially if you go for the 16% Chaos Resist Passive and the other two Passive Nodes. In the end , seems way more logical in most case to go with HP + Energy Shield than go Exclusively Energy Shield.
Was I Dreaming ? - Harry Mason
"
Mortiferius wrote:
I personally have no problems with Energy Shield overall. It's a great damage buffer that can be increased and make even more awesome with the right gear and passives. While I only have 800 ES, it's more than enough buffer to soak in most hits without it even touching my health pool. Coupled with my 2.2K HP pool, I can take hits from most things even in LVL 70+ Maps as a summoner.

What I really don't get is Chaos Innoculation and people's desire to sacrifice their HP and ability to use pots to survive, especially when you take into account the fact stuns and elementail ailments are calculated on your health. Chaos damage is kinda rare and it's usually only a couple monsters in a map, and with very few HP nodes and some basic HP on gear you'll have enough HP to mitigate it, especially if you go for the 16% Chaos Resist Passive and the other two Passive Nodes. In the end , seems way more logical in most case to go with HP + Energy Shield than go Exclusively Energy Shield.

Wait till good chaos resist items found. some people already run with 75% (practicaly CI).
The only reason to go pure ES is in a CI build. Otherwise you simply need health, if only to survive areas heavy on chaos damage which ES doesn't absorb. CI builds are mostly used by Witches: who rely on spell damage rather than attack damage, so they don't care about strength and whatnot, only spell and elemental damage boosts which they get plenty of and Shadows: who either rely on spells and work similar to Witches, like Ethereal Knives builds, or on daggers, in which case they get plenty of damage and crit nodes around the Shadow's starting area and not too far away from it, to handle the lack of strength.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info