2.1 Mjolner-Coil Game Destroyer: Uber/Core vids included (Core deathless!)

Note: PLEASE READ THE WHOLE GUIDE BEFORE ASKING QUESTIONS. I try to be pretty thorough, getting asked questions that I already covered makes me sigh.

This build is an homage to Havoc's lifebased Mjolner character that took Vaal Pact and got 98-100% all res for all purpose map runs. Every build I see drops purity of ice, making added cold mods and maps a nightmare to deal with. The build is also extremely malleable, you can take jewel sockets all over, you can start as a Witch, Shadow, Templar, or even Marauder. You can grab accuracy nodes if you really want, or more life, or more spell crit. You can swap out herald of thunder and arctic armour for wrath or anger. Whatever suits your playstyle!

Pros:
-still insane damage
-lightning coil, good to know its still OP
-runs purity of ice so you can cap out 98% cold res as well as fire/lightning and do added cold maps (ignore that pesky 100%+ added cold in the high tier maps)
-reflect proof
-face tanks almost anything.
-don't need acuity, but obviously it's OP if you can attain one

Cons:
-don't stand in chaos stuff, it is the only weakness (my gear sucks and I only have positive 10 chaos res), good thing chaos is mostly avoidable
-still expensive, uses legacy items.
-don't facetank without flasks up, you will die

Good thing to note is you can still run it with non legacy mjolner, saffells, lightning coil. You'll just do less damage and be less tanky. I'll bet they are still face roll though.

Videos
Spoiler
Entire Core map run with Malachai deathless.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ihdQX0PdO4
Spoiler
The Core map is done with the alternative Kingsguard build running Purity of Fire/Light and Grace. The Kingsguard build is LESS tanky than the Coil one. This is because armour gets crushed by high physical damage attacks. Coil and Arctic armour give flat physical reduction so the granite is far more effective because you are only taking 50% physical damage into your armour. The granite in the Kingsguard build has diminishing returns because of the armour you already stack. Both builds have comparable dps because Kingsguard runs Iron Will and has more charges. Coil build has insane dps because of access to more jewels and herald of thunder. I like both builds as they can do high maps, but the Coil build is my favorite because of its versatility and more durability. Kingsguard build runs bloodrage to get attack speed. Coil has Vaal Pact so doesn't run bloodrage, but with more jewel sockets and the passive tree it winds up with the same attacks ~5.5 a second. Coil build also runs purity of ice to get 5% more max cold res, making it even safer against cold damage.

First Uber Atziri run. Died twice to stupid mistakes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojgwVoW6b3o

Facetank Palace (81) Dominus.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGabkC-S9H0

Facetank Wasteland (80) Voll with 35% boss damage.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GU3TMHzFF8M

decided to post a quick malachai test.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kt2VJFV1Mh0

Normal Atziri deathless sorry for bad quality
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpGZ4B7yf7Y

Passives
Spoiler
The key is to grab all the reduced mana reserve so you can run three purities and a herald+arctic armour. It totals 30% reduced mana reserved and alpha's is an additional 8. From preliminary testing anger and wrath do similar damage, wrath edges it a bit but if you put anger in alpha's howl that +2 goes a long way. If you can get jewels that have at least two good affixes it is worth getting. Jewels are OP.

The reason this build goes crit is to quickly regain flasks charges so they never fall off in combat. Molten strike hits so many times and procs discharge/arc that with only a few crit nodes your flasks will always be up when you need them. Allows you to face tank most anything in the game.

Intuitive leap on the left side of Templar grants easy charges and those juicy life nodes. Great investment.

https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAwUAAdwEBwSzBUIJqgthDlwPqxEtFVAWbxa_Fy8Ziho4Go8dFB2qJIskqiaVJy8qOCpNLJwt0jLRNZI26TpYPC0_J0GWRUdFfkZxR35KyEyzUEdRTFVLVcZV1l-wYeJk52VNZlRnm2jyavpuqm87b55wUnfjeA18g31bgKSCm4MJg1-DzIPbhMWE2YV7hX2J04uMjDaPRpBVmjubtaIApwipbqxHrj6us69stfK3Pr02vqfAGsBmwJrDOsauykrQH9D12L3Z_OFz4YjjauRR6-7sOO8O7-vwH_ba-d360vsJ_go=?accountName=hellfurian&characterName=Bilityhog

My Molten Strike is at 5.52 attacks per second.

Defensively I actually have a 21 purity of fire. Because it is in alpha's howl it is now +5% all res instead of 4.

Stats
Spoiler

offensive stats Molten Strike at 5.52 aps and arc at ~3100 tooltip

defensive stats all res without flasks up

res's with flasks up and armour with granite

Gear
Spoiler

The auras I run are the three purities, herald of thunder, and arctic armour. Lightning coil and 98% lightning res goes a long way, arctic armour is another layer to that defense. You throw in a granite, you are safe from the most dangerous physical monsters in the game. If you are doing easy maps, swap the herald and AA for wrath or anger. You can swap saffells with a divinarius for the dual wield attack speed bonus, inc aoe on discharge, and big damage.

6 linked Lightning Coil: Molten Strike, Fortify, Multistrike, LMP, GMP, Faster Attacks

You sustain without blood magic by using enlighten lvl 3 with the three purities in Alpha's Howl. I use two jewels with +2 mana gained on hit for a total of +4. With over 5 attacks per second the second mana on hit jewel makes the attack smoother.

I still use CWDT even though immortal call is heavily nerfed. However with endurance charges constantly cycling if you happen to take spike damage it will proc a 2 second immortal call. I still think it is worth using. Enfeeble just ensures an even extra layer of security. The golem will die a lot but it is bonus damage. You can use any golem you like.

Vaal Haste is incredibly amazing for anything and I use two for up to 19 seconds of Vaal haste. OP.

The Magnate is still the best belt. The charge gain is insanely good. You will never run out of flask charges before your buffs run out, ever ever ever. Considering how keeping up your flasks is the lynchpin of your defenses, the belt cannot be ignored.

Flasks
Spoiler

Flasks are also interchangeable. My general set up is topaz, ruby, granite. If I see some cold going on I can swap out granite or ruby as needed. If you are playing a really rippy map you can take out the quicksilver (groans) and run topaz sapph ruby and granite. I have not had to do that ever.

Aura talk- adding this section for people who have questions about auras.
Spoiler
First and foremost use this link to plan your auras https://poe.mikelat.com/
So with the removal of inner force and general buff effect removal, we are left to stack a lot more aura increase nodes. This tree does that very well and attains 25%. The purities at level 20 provide a 4% increase to max res. In order to get another 1% you need at least 25%. However, this build uses an alpha's howl, and if you put level 21 purities in an alpha's howl they become level 23. At this stage they provide 5% max resists. So if you only have 25% inc effect you still only get an additional 1% max res. If you reach at least 40% additional effect then that will provide 2% max res instead of just the 1%. This means your purities will provide 7% max resistances.

The benefit of this is that with a legacy saffell's you reach 100% max res
ex: 75 base max + 5(legacy saffells) + 7(23 purities and at least 40% aura effect)+ 13(resistance flasks with the flask nodes)= 100
conversely if your purities are below level 23 you only get 5% max res so it goes down to 98%

Without legacy saffells you will reach 99% max res. without 21 purities/alpha's howl this goes down to 97%. I would say that 97-8% max res is good enough to mitigate anything the game throws at you. But hey, if you can reach 100% why not?! Also, alpha's howl provides freeze immunity. In a game with nerfed aura reservation, alpha's howl is king.

Last edited by hellfurian on Jan 2, 2016, 1:06:56 AM
I have smiliar build except it's non-crit. Just want to ask how is your build going in uber atziri. I have difficulty passing the trios.

Here's my gear

If I go first, I'll wait for you in the other side of the dark water.
"
Ukanta wrote:
I have smiliar build except it's non-crit. Just want to ask how is your build going in uber atziri. I have difficulty passing the trios.
[/spoiler]

I suggest you try crit, you have the gear. Even with only 6 crit nodes on the tree it is worth using because you get so many hits off of molten strike. The idea is to crit so much that your surgeon's flask refill and never fall off during a fight. With the flask nodes north of witch you gain 13% increased max resists, making lightning and fire (and cold if you use sapphire+purity of ice) trivial.

The trio is a bit of a race, you can do them with righteous fire quite quickly. With a perma ruby flask you don't degen from RF. You kill the rain one first, that physical rain is ridiculous damage. Stay out of the degen clouds and you should kill them quickly enough.
Thanks for the tips, Is legacy coil a must? I am at 51% without any flask or aura. With endurence charge and flask it reach 85+%.
Last edited by Ukanta on Jul 20, 2015, 10:20:30 AM
"
Ukanta wrote:
Thanks for the tips, Is legacy coil a must? I am at 51% without any flask or aura. With endurence charge and flask it reach 85+%.

You have a six link so you can run molten strike-blood magic-fortify-faster attacks-multistrike-gmp

A regular lightning coil is still incredibly strong. But with your 6th link being fortify it would be like my 5 link lightning coil.
This is my passive tree, armor based, non crit, reduced crit damage, 4 power charger and 4 endurence charge. Level 93.

Passive skill tree build
Last edited by Ukanta on Jul 20, 2015, 9:03:05 PM
"
hellfurian wrote:
"
Ukanta wrote:

You have a six link so you can run molten strike-blood magic-fortify-faster attacks-multistrike-gmp

A regular lightning coil is still incredibly strong. But with your 6th link being fortify it would be like my 5 link lightning coil.

With nerf of reduce mana, my molten strike mana is an issue, perhaps best to move it to 6L with blood magic as you suggest and use CWDT for curse.
Just check, I can actually get to +85% resist cold, fire lightining without alphas, in an expensive way :)

Get +1 socket gem, +1 gem level rainbowstride, 3 element resist + level 2 or higher empower gem. That's free up many passive point for reduce mana reserve.
"
Ukanta wrote:
Just check, I can actually get to +85% resist cold, fire lightining without alphas, in an expensive way :)

Get +1 socket gem, +1 gem level rainbowstride, 3 element resist + level 2 or higher empower gem. That's free up many passive point for reduce mana reserve.

that may actually work. but my tree is just so...convenient. only level 87 and already have most things covered. gonna save up for a 6 link lightning coil and put on a fortify for yet another layer of defense.

not to mention with alpha's howl and 21 purities alone you can achieve 100% all res with a legacy saffells using my passive tree.
Can I adapt this build to work with non-legacy items in Warbands? I have a Mjolner and can't figure out what to do with it o.O
bye bye PoE

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info