[2.4 Video Guide] Doomfletch Tornado Shot, Blast Rain Raider [HC/SC]

Spoiler
"
MasterBLB wrote:
I'm following this guide,so far (lv 45 ranger) it preforms very well though my gear is purely self-found (but pretty good I think).Thanks for the guide LiftingNerdBro!
Spoiler

I'd like to give some leveling advices and mention with what I had problems,as well as other findings:
1) Mana issues at early levels.Spirit Void node simply can't sustain 4 linked skills,even with lv 2-3 Clarity.I strongly suggest to use Eleron's Ring/Amulet with -8 mana cost of skills ,and jewel Survival Secrets.The jewel is easily obtainable as a Golden Hand quest reward in Act 2,and works as free Clarity;elemental damage bonus is also welcomed.Eleron's jewelery is easy to get,just have him in your hideout,leveled to at least lv 4,then check his stockpile after each daily mission for him;succeeded of failed,he will have new goods to sell,and always one piece of mana cost reducing jewelery.

2) At level 16 it's good to pick Herald of Ash,you can run it along with lv 2-3 Clarity and still have enough mana pool.Adding the Eleron's ring to that makes act 1 a breeze in skill costs management.

3) Once you get level 24,+3 mana regen jewel and Eleron's Ring drop Clarity and Herald of Ash,then pick up Hatred and Arctic Armour.At this point however you should have nice survivability,so you can use herald instead of armour,though it's advisable to have it in equipment to level up.

4) Though not using yet try to fit Blood Rage in your equipment asap,just to level it up.

5) Puncture >> Frenzy at early stages.Even having -8 mana ring,Spirit Void,12.4 mana regeneration and 76 mana pool I can't afford cost of Frenzy while shooting at single target;17 is simply too much.Puncture costs me only 11 mana,and those 6 makes a huge difference.
Besides,Puncture works better against creatures those run away from me - mainly Tormented Spirits.Also it seems it is better for boss fights,I can puncture then kite watching for opportunity to make another shoot,and during that time bleeding eats boss's life without my further assistance.While using Frenzy I have to keep shooting in order to deal damage,and risk a retaliation.

6) I've picked Ice Golem as quest reward,used it in act 4,and finally dropped it.I've found mobility provided by Blink Arrow or Phase Run far more useful.

7) Auto curse setup - Split Arrow + Fork/Chain + Curse on Hit + Assassins Mark works well,but last very short and uses 4 links.On the other character I'm using Spell Totem + Curse + Increased Duration,with excellent results.
1st,this setup saves one socket in which a skill profiting from Increased Duration can be put in - like Blink Arrow or Blood Rage.
2nd,both the totem and curse are gaining from extended duration.
3rd,totem placed at the edge of screen works excellent as a decoy and early warning system.It also excels during boss fights,just pop it few seconds before ex Malachai finish speech.Due to that,using totem is much safer than Split Arrow.

Split Arrow cursing has its own advantages though:
1st,more dynamic play and therefore map clearing speed
2nd,it can easily strike off-screen targets.When I fought that pesky unique totems pack at Kaom's Dream it was Split Arrow which allowed me to defeat them without dying.All attempts to close distance and use Tornado Shot failed,and I was forced to flee.
3rd,it can serve as a kind of panic attack,wide strike distance makes it easy to hit fast targets,or make a snap shot at a boss when we're forced to kite heavily.
4th,it's much easier and cheaper to obtain GGBB than RRB(G) on purely evasion-based gear.

8) I very strongly advise to add Pierce gem into Tornado Shot setup,especially if Greater Multiple Projectiles are used.Why?It works miracles with those Life on Hit and Mana on Hit features when fighting against packs of monsters.

9) I suggest to slightly change leveling in tree:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=A6HCy2W1BWE#t=499
after picking Primal Spirit go up through +8% mana node to Ballistic Mastery.Extra mana at this stage is helpful,and the mastery gives boost to damage at so early level.They can be respected later,after taking Heavy Draw,Deadly Draw and Spirit Void.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=A6HCy2W1BWE#t=561
Instead of going long way for Spirit Void I suggest go for jewel socket near Golem's Blood,and put Survival Secrets here.Once this goal is done go pick the Spirit Void.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=A6HCy2W1BWE#t=614
It is better to go for Golem's Blood and two +5% life nodes near it instead of picking Herbalism.Golem Blood along with Heart of Oak gives 2,6% life regeneration which finally allows Blood Rage to be used.And this skill helps a lot,so it's better to start using it earlier than later.

I put the post in a spoiler cuz it's huge...

I am at level 68 and this is great advice that I cannot wait for Lifting to respond to. I am learning a lot following the guide, despite playing over two years I never processed the tree strategy until now.

As for my observances, I noticed this build (so far) is very offense dependent. It DOES need some defense buff - but I haven't got to the Charges yet so take that with a grain of salt. I played a Marauder using the same sort of Blood Rage setup, so I am familiar with it - only thing is (going with gems) it sucks up slots. I just have to see how that goes.

Tornado shot is strong, but I have been playing around with the other elemental shots in the same spot and it seems like the T Shot setup is good for more than just T Shot/ I especially like Thunder Shot in that slot, it wipes out whole packs and goes off-screen as well (as a matter of fact, only Tornado Shot does not fling shots off screen, ending them at your mouse position instead).

I have had a number of enemies one-shot me (like one of those Vaal Dungeon Serpents) and also - how do you deal with "bubble" enemies? As a Maurauder, I just stepped in the bubble and beat them to death - but I don't feel this Ranger having success with that...

I am at the Bandits quest in Merciless right now, and thus far only loosely following your guide things have been much easier, except for a couple of unique bosses and Cruel Malachai, whom I died to about a million times. I'm hoping I do much better with Merciless Malachai, due to better defense setup by the time I challenge him.

I hope you (Lifting) will, or have adjusted your advice depending on the feedback here. I would love to face Atziri with this build and get to the point where I feel very little danger. Thanks!
"
magusat999 wrote:

As for my observances, I noticed this build (so far) is very offense dependent. It DOES need some defense buff - but I haven't got to the Charges yet so take that with a grain of salt. I played a Marauder using the same sort of Blood Rage setup, so I am familiar with it - only thing is (going with gems) it sucks up slots. I just have to see how that goes.(...)

Well,I didn't managed to Merciless yet,but so far (act 2 Cruel) I have no issues with defense.
The setup CWDT + Immortal Call + Inc Duration + Enduring Cry (selfcast),Arctic Armour,high offense with crit and cold damage factor leading to freezing enemies,and appropriate playstyle are the keys to survivability.
The most important,don't be afraid to let monster come close enough to refill your endurance charges.Pay attention to always have those at max number.Also,it may also be profitable to deviate a bit from LiftingNerdBro's leveling path and take +1 Endurance Charge near Golem's Blood amd respect those later on.
This way you'll always have charges when Immortal Call kicks in in time of needs,saving your butt from being oneshotted.How useful is this?Enough to say I managed do flawlessly defeat all bosses so far (except Piety,but that's only because of my mistake not because it was impossible to survive her beam).
Also I advise to take all remaining acrobatic nodes,including Phase Acrobatic.40% attacks dodge and 30% spell dodge are just too good to leave them,especially when armor damage mitigation is halved.
Another defense worth to mention is Blink Arrow - that clone works nice as a decoy,and gives few precious seconds to start barrage of Tornado Shots from safer position.It also can inflict some meaningful damage,as it uses your bow and quiver against enemies cursed by Assassin's Mark ;]
I started playing this class on the 1 month event. Now, I am level 71, starting mapping, already found some let's say 'okay' gear, but until now I didn't even optimize my jewel sockets (don't want to waste jewellers', chromatics, fusings on gear that I will replace in a moment) and I have not had any trouble progressing through the game.

Let's start: I levelled as bow character with split arrow + puncture, but it was pretty slow until tornado shot was 4 linked with a decent bow, next time I would totally recommend levelling as a caster or meele character and respecing later unless you have levelling archer gear to start with.

On merciless, around level 65 I bought these two items (I have found tabula, so I had around 20c, bought the bow for 2c, white 5l armour for 5c and alched + 3x chaosed it)

Right now, even with all the bosses, bloodlines, beyond etc, I have very little issues with farming level 68-71 maps, but I have modified (or in some cases - will modify) your tree and skill gem setups for softcore. I will pick a little bit more damage in the tree and now the skill setups:

- TS is the same
- Frenzy / puncture with physical projectile damage, faster attacks, slower projectiles, point blank, trap (to be tested in the future)
- Assassin's mark + CoH + lightning arrow + greater multiple projectiles <- it curses many mobs just as split arrow with chain does, but also shocks enemies
- as this is softcore I use hatred + herald of ash (nice boost to dps)
- CWDT will be used with molten shell and ice golem (I am tired of recasting golem, and I like to have these 3-4 endurance charges up all the time)

Now for the questions:
- herald of ash or ice? If ash, then maybe I should use hatred+HoA+increased aoe+increased burning damage until I get myself a vaal haste?
- puncture / frenzy trap <- worth it?
- starkonja's head? If i can't afford rat's nest yet.
- which one is more important: getting maligaro's / rat's nest or a decent bow (for 1-2 exalts should be a nice one)
Great Guide thanks for all the hard work you do for us :)
Last edited by Pachacuti on Oct 8, 2015, 7:32:33 AM
I want to say that this guide IS excellent, but if LiftingNerdBro or anyone else can advise on a long range bow build I would appreciate (I also asked in the threads). Is it possible to have a Bow user that doesn't need Blood Magic or CWDT? I am looking for a build that uses the Bow to kill off the enemy before it can get close, and CWDT would be just in case an enemy got through - not a necessary component of survival. Is there such a build? I appreciate this build, it is excellent - but I just would like a pure bow user if that exists...
hey m8 i am new in the game and i read ur ranger build and i am very excited to begin with! one question though m8, i am free player and i am not going to invest any money so far! i just like to play the game! is this build still valiable for a free player? thnx for ur time :D
Hey LiftingNerdBro,

I see that this build is supposed to be Uber Atziri capable. But I cannot find any information of you explaining how to get there.

Could you update the thread with a Atziri/Uber Atziri section ?

Greetz
Thank you for a great guide , i ve been following it since start as i m a fairly new player.

I got a question for you in case you ve tested it

HoA + HoI vs Hatred + HoA

I m using Herald of Ash + Elemental Proliferation + Increased Burning Damage + Item Rarity (switching to Increased AoE if not farming for items)

with Herald of Ice + Curse on Hit + Assassins Mark + Incrased AoE

Basically seems every hit applies Mark automatically leaving more room to focus on actuall survival

Worth it or Hatred + HoA outshines it ?

Did you ever consider using phys to lightning for better reflect handling?
Last edited by Cycleklos on Oct 27, 2015, 1:46:39 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info