[2.1 Medium budget] Life-Based Dual Claw Non-Vaal Pact - BoR, 100-130k dps, 5-5.5k HP, Atziri Viable

grindst0ne,
thanks for taking the time to reply. I actually broke down and went shopping and let me tell you, it was worth it.

I'm now level 45 and my main issue was links/colors as is probably typical.
I linked Multistrike - dual strike - melee dmg on full life - and faster attacks and it jumped my DPS significantly, I believe the jump was from 1700 to barely over 3k.

I further removed reave and linked herald of ash - elemental proliferation - blind, so i've cut reave out of my "play" and my AOE is pretty astounding.

I still have some surv issues, just getting into cruel i presume this is partly due to resistances but honestly it's probably also a skill thing. I dont whirling blades through enemies enough and i dont yet have the proposed defensive gems setup (still lacking gems/such)

I'm running herald of ash instead of hatred, 1) mana problems 2) proliferation is awesome. I'm not high enough level for the increased burning damage yet.

The whirling blades with fortify rather than added lightning sounds like a promising option that should buff my livability a bit. Of course like anything, an evasion character with so many red slots is always an issue so i'm working to find a home for fortify - whirling blades! (i also lack the str requirement for fortify, my gem is level 4 which may be a contributing factor)

thanks again!

current gear (when i previewed this, it worked now i just see some crazy rings...)
Spoiler

Last edited by drizuid on Aug 7, 2015, 11:55:30 AM
Hey, im following this build and freaking loving it. I have wanted to use my legacy BoR for something and now i am! Just wanted to let you know that at least at this moment, the closed beta skill tree link is down. Didnt know if you could relink with another page?
"
drizuid wrote:
grindst0ne,
thanks for taking the time to reply. I actually broke down and went shopping and let me tell you, it was worth it.

I'm now level 45 and my main issue was links/colors as is probably typical.
I linked Multistrike - dual strike - melee dmg on full life - and faster attacks and it jumped my DPS significantly, I believe the jump was from 1700 to barely over 3k.

I further removed reave and linked herald of ash - elemental proliferation - blind, so i've cut reave out of my "play" and my AOE is pretty astounding.

I still have some surv issues, just getting into cruel i presume this is partly due to resistances but honestly it's probably also a skill thing. I dont whirling blades through enemies enough and i dont yet have the proposed defensive gems setup (still lacking gems/such)

I'm running herald of ash instead of hatred, 1) mana problems 2) proliferation is awesome. I'm not high enough level for the increased burning damage yet.

The whirling blades with fortify rather than added lightning sounds like a promising option that should buff my livability a bit. Of course like anything, an evasion character with so many red slots is always an issue so i'm working to find a home for fortify - whirling blades! (i also lack the str requirement for fortify, my gem is level 4 which may be a contributing factor)

thanks again!

current gear (when i previewed this, it worked now i just see some crazy rings...)
Spoiler

Links and sockets are a huge deal when leveling. Some inferior gear might be superior simply because it has the right socket colours and links. Cool to see you switched to proliferate & herald of ash!

For survivability issues: remember that for an evade-based build, you should also invest in life on gear (I only see the crazy rings!). Your dps made a huge bump, so it's probably good to see if you really need that much dps and instead focus on more life increases (of course, resistances are also a good addition). Don't get caught up in the 'big numbers = better' stuff (it's not how PoE works except for endgame). Some mobs in particular are kind of dreadful:

Devourers & Undying Grapplers - they hit like a truck, and with no enduring cry / immortal call combo, it's pretty easy to get unlucky and die from a series of hits.
Voidbearer - tricky to deal with when your resistances are low. I always approached these guys with some caution during leveling.
Snakes & Undying Alchemists - High chaos damage. Be extremely careful around large packs!

The general strategy for these guys is to kill them as quickly as possible and avoid getting ganged (be on the lookout during fights for where these guys are located). Whirling around and luring them away helps a lot.

For bosses, it helps to get to know some of the 'tells' for when big hits will occur. It's generally better to play safe - get in a few hits, run away, rinse & repeat. Don't try to facetank unless you're 100% sure!

And yeah - whirling + fortify is a nice goal you can set yourself. It makes a huge difference for me even at endgame, so it's worth investing into.
"
SlashaLO wrote:
Hey, im following this build and freaking loving it. I have wanted to use my legacy BoR for something and now i am! Just wanted to let you know that at least at this moment, the closed beta skill tree link is down. Didnt know if you could relink with another page?

Thanks!! Glad to hear you're having a good time.
I just loaded up the skill tree and it worked for me! here is the link (I'll put it in as a copy & paste just to make sure):
http://cb.poedb.tw/us/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgYAAAYB3ASxBS0FZgW1C8ENjRQgFfAV9hX9Fr8byCFgI9Mj9iaVMHE1kjXvNj06QjrtQKBDMUX0R35KfUt4TGBM_02STeNOKlBHUdlVS1eXW69eRV8_YEFh4mJ5YqxjcGSvZU1ngGyMbWxttG5pbydvO29XdO1343gNeBl5aHrvgUGE2Yd2ijiMNo2_j2CS85VmmmqdqqLZo4qmf6c0qAepbrCSsNixs7TFtUi18r02vqfAGsCcwQTBi8GgwuzUI9X41gfYvdrB3ajgn-OE45_kUe1B7g7vDvlj-uv8xf6P_5M=

Hope it works!
It's pretty good although definitely more difficult to play than my dual totem witch, but honestly, its much more fun. I definitely need to work on whirling more, the fortify+curse is pretty great. My evasion is probably a little lacking still when i do get hit, it HURTS. I struggle to maintain full life for the melee dmg on full life aswell, but it's much easier in a group where someone else taunts :)

Here's my current skill tree at 59
https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAwYAsNii2VHZsJL_kxa_sbMmle1BYeKmf1VLtUiMNm1sNj2dqhvIYqxsjOOEtMXAnBX9wuynNIo4BbVkr42_RfTUI_rrb1cwcZLzeBndqBXwXkXBoEt4-WPWBzpCo4oj9u4OTGBNkvzFBLENjZVmW6-HdhX2Tio6s5AK459ieUz_I9NKfQAGQzGPYG8n2sHgn5pqBWY=

I'll try linking items again and see what happens...

Spoiler
Last edited by drizuid on Aug 10, 2015, 10:14:55 PM
I want to try this build, but the skill trees that you've linked arent working for me.
"
cfelrez wrote:
I want to try this build, but the skill trees that you've linked arent working for me.

i copied his original to a site that stays up:

https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAwYAsNii2VHZsJL_kxa_sbPtQaZ_tUhtbDY9naobyGKsbIzjhLTFwJwV_cLspzSKOAW1ZK-Nv0X01CP6629XMHGS83gZ3agV8F5FwaBLePlj1gc6QqOKI_buDkxgTZL8xQSxDY2VZluvh3YV9k4q459ieUz_I9NKfQAGQzGPYG8nV5faweCfmmoLwXTtBWZgQQUtY3C-p3rvZU1uaUCgvTbV-CFgR37Bi4TZgUE17zrtAdx346lueWjBBF8_FCDvDlBH5FHAGm87eA218m20qAdngDWS2L3-j03jJpVh4lVLjDY=

pretty sure its exact!
"
drizuid wrote:
It's pretty good although definitely more difficult to play than my dual totem witch, but honestly, its much more fun. I definitely need to work on whirling more, the fortify+curse is pretty great. My evasion is probably a little lacking still when i do get hit, it HURTS. I struggle to maintain full life for the melee dmg on full life aswell, but it's much easier in a group where someone else taunts :)

Here's my current skill tree at 59
https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAwYAsNii2VHZsJL_kxa_sbMmle1BYeKmf1VLtUiMNm1sNj2dqhvIYqxsjOOEtMXAnBX9wuynNIo4BbVkr42_RfTUI_rrb1cwcZLzeBndqBXwXkXBoEt4-WPWBzpCo4oj9u4OTGBNkvzFBLENjZVmW6-HdhX2Tio6s5AK459ieUz_I9NKfQAGQzGPYG8n2sHgn5pqBWY=

I'll try linking items again and see what happens...

Spoiler

Skill tree looks pretty solid! Not too sure about the lack of evade - you've got the acrobatics nodes so it should be OK.

I think for gems the melee on full life one might be a bit ineffective with the Mokou's Embrace ring. I've been meaning to experiment with Blood Rage - that might also be a better option for you in this case. Your whirling blades setup is very solid too.

In general I think you could try and get some more +life and +resistances on gear ;-). I'd experiment with replacing some of the jewels for jewels with those attributes, as your dps seems to be fine with this setup! Like you said, big hits are an issue - this is common for any evade-based build. The only thing you can really do is increase life (or energy shield, but that's a poor choice for this build because we are taking +life% nodes). If you increase evade, you are only delaying the inevitable (getting a bit hit!).

So far, great job! Glad you are enjoying the build. It's indeed pretty hectic and exciting to play.

"
i copied his original to a site that stays up:

https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAwYAsNii2VHZsJL_kxa_sbPtQaZ_tUhtbDY9naobyGKsbIzjhLTFwJwV_cLspzSKOAW1ZK-Nv0X01CP6629XMHGS83gZ3agV8F5FwaBLePlj1gc6QqOKI_buDkxgTZL8xQSxDY2VZluvh3YV9k4q459ieUz_I9NKfQAGQzGPYG8nV5faweCfmmoLwXTtBWZgQQUtY3C-p3rvZU1uaUCgvTbV-CFgR37Bi4TZgUE17zrtAdx346lueWjBBF8_FCDvDlBH5FHAGm87eA218m20qAdngDWS2L3-j03jJpVh4lVLjDY=

pretty sure its exact!

NICE! Adding this to the build guide. Thanks!
Last edited by grindst0ne on Aug 12, 2015, 12:24:48 AM
Hey. Back again haha. Ive been playing this still, casually leveling cuz I have some friends that are running maps, so I've been on another character. It seems that when leveling with this, the damage is great; leveling with reave and using dual strike on single target; but he seems squishy. I'm not used to evasion characters still, is this normal? I'm thinking of running the setup where you get endurance charges and leech...warlords mark i think it is. I hope that helps a little for when we do get hit. I dont know much else to layer with. Maybe a good CwDT, i dont have a good one set up yet. Any opinions?
"
SlashaLO wrote:
Hey. Back again haha. Ive been playing this still, casually leveling cuz I have some friends that are running maps, so I've been on another character. It seems that when leveling with this, the damage is great; leveling with reave and using dual strike on single target; but he seems squishy. I'm not used to evasion characters still, is this normal? I'm thinking of running the setup where you get endurance charges and leech...warlords mark i think it is. I hope that helps a little for when we do get hit. I dont know much else to layer with. Maybe a good CwDT, i dont have a good one set up yet. Any opinions?

Cool to see you are still playing the char!
In general, if you find that you have great dps, but lack survivability, it makes sense to focus on +life (flat increases and nodes on the passive tree) for evasion-based characters. Because evasion / dodge / block are all about chances not to get hit, there will be a time when you get unlucky and something big hits you. Also, things like huge chaos damage hits are a real pain. So my advice would be to focus on increasing your life total via your gear and via nodes (i.e. take a few more life nodes when leveling; check which ones I've taken).

Warlord's Mark is a great idea - I've been using it as well every now and then. Works well, also with Immortal Call and Cast when Damage Taken. Some people have also suggested Molten Shell with CwDT. Oh, and the combo of Whirling Blades + Fortify + Curse on Hit + Enfeeble is also amazing at reducing the damage you receive.

I hope this helps!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info