time trigger skill gem.

"
I had this discussion today already, but I've always found EC+IC+CWDT to be an ineffective crutch for ranged builds. I can only imagine that it's a placebo of some kind, since at levels of zero investment, your EC doesn't tag enough enemies to generate charges and your IC lacks duration. It's a waste of slots compared to things you could be taking.

Some of the more sensible players took Temporal Chains, Frostwall or Arctic Breath w/ CWDT. At least that way you'd get something more than a half-second of physical immunity, which you weren't using anyway sitting at a range about 99% of the time.

CWDT is just a sad skill that never worked as intended.

Tangentially, I clicked on this thread hoping the OP was going to talk about putting skills on a time bomb fuse. Probably silly, but at least that'd be novel.

Largely, I do agree with that; hence it's why my ranged build actually never bothered with wasting slots on that. I'd considered some form of potential defensive skill, but in the end have just gone with careful play... And as it happens, in spite of the build having NO direct physical mitigation ability (they use a tri-resist +life chest, rather than, say, a lightning coil or such) they STILL die far less often than most people who ARE using those things.

But yeah, sadly, CWDT isn't working as it was envisioned. Granted, utility/defensive skills ARE rather hard to balance right; too often they'll either be outright useless... Or mandatory.
Rufalius, hybrid Aura/Arc/Mana Guardian | Hemorae, TS Raider | Wuru, Ele Hit Wand Trickster
"
ACGIFT wrote:
"
SuperMotte wrote:
Dafuq is wrong with you?

That I bother to actually think before typing?

Read what Exialis said, for example: having Molten shell up half the time, (or more, given that the OP said "time span shortens as it levels") or any other temporary thing auto-refreshing like that for FREE would be horrifically broken to the state of "mandatory."

Having it up half the time and having NOTHING half the time, besides Molten Shell armour bonus can be lost earlier when taking too much damage. When you take not enough damage than it most likely wasn't needed. And we know nothing about the level progression for now, it coult be 0,01 second less cooldown or 0,9 per level, so the argument is invalid.
Besides it's timed so you basically wait like 5 seconds before every mob waiting for the gem triggering. I could activate it myself and easily get faster clear speed without the gem.

"
ACGIFT wrote:
You should bother to actually think a little before attacking someone. Just because you simply imagined "casting Arc" or some other droll attack spell doesn't mean that more enterprising and creative players couldn't find more powerful uses.

*slow clap* [sarcarsm]Yeah, I totally thought about casting Arc once every 20 seconds, sure. How can I not be as clever as you?[/sarcasm]

"
ACGIFT wrote:
Here are just a few that pop to mind, that ALL severely sidestep major limitations of the game, giving results like being able to arbitrarily 8L:

- Discharge. Probably the only direct-attack spell worth using this with. If the rest of the build is capable of generating charges, this could add a LOT of extra damage without actually requiring the extra links in your main attacks like a CoC build would. (It'd proc less often, but would make up for it by certainly having max charges when it did)

First: how would this be a 8L? You do know what an 8 linked spell would be? But OH MY GOD YOU CAST DISCHARGE AFTER 20 SECONDS... THAT'S... THAT'S... INSANE... You do know you could also cast it manually and have one more socket for supports? Without it you would save a whole socket, it's actually crap here. Everything else but not overpowered.

"
ACGIFT wrote:
Curses. Congrats, you just stacked on free curses WITHOUT having to use up precious slots in your 5L/6L for a "curse on hit" gem. Think the power of Mjölner, but for curses.

Duration for a level 20 skill is 9 to 12 seconds, 9,8 seconds for Assassin's Mark which seems for me the skill most used with Curse on Hit. So the curse will be active half the time AND INACTIVE half the time. Since it's time triggered there will probably no aiming at enemy which leads it to cursing at the players position. You probably won't even curse half the mob and have to wait and time the entrance perfectly to get curses applied to enemies. That's a shitty support for your curses. Better cast them manually.
If your main attack needs really those curses to deal any damage you should considering using 2 or 3 other supports instead of Curse on Hit and the curses itself.

"
ACGIFT wrote:
Spell Totems. Congrats, you now can get totems for free, even ones that previously would've been too expensive to use.

"
ACGIFT wrote:
A "Cast when time passed" bypasses both of those concerns: the player can tell when the timer is coming about again even without indicators, simply by telling when it last proc'd. This lets them plan a placement manually, simply by moving to the desired spot. And of course, it doesn't require any risk on the player's side whatsoever, so no risk of being subjected to spike damage. (and quite possible death)

Congratulations, you shot yourself in the foot. The time planing and walking to the desired position to place the totem where you want it could be used to cast it yourself. An automatic use of a skill that has a one second cast time every 20 seconds is equivalent to having 5% more cast speed. Better use faster casting. Place it whenever and whereever you want it. This will be a lot more useful.

"
ACGIFT wrote:
AURA TOTEMS. This is probably the most egregious reason why such a gem should never be allowed to exist: CWDT requires you be hit and thus not only incurs risk, but also dictates you must be right next to enemies. With this, you can place an aura totem for free. (when normally the summon cost makes them near-impossible for the majority of builds) Throw this in a 4L, and Congrats, you've just gained 2 extra auras for absolutely free. With this even a non-LL build could run Hatred, Anger, and Wrath all simultaneously.

Or cast them manually. The time it takes to wait in the front of the mob for the gem to trigger can be used to regen the needed mana or what costs are you refering too?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info