getting destroyed in LLD

You know a lot of the people that LLD got shit gear too, and if you can't win vs them it's more likely you and not the gear. If you want to compete among the best in tournaments you need practise, gear, tree and not just throw some unqiues together and expect wonder just because they're well, orange
It's hard to remember what you have forgotten
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Why are police looking for missing people? None of them were missing last time I saw them
"
You know a lot of the people that LLD got shit gear too, and if you can't win vs them it's more likely you and not the gear. If you want to compete among the best in tournaments you need practise, gear, tree and not just throw some unqiues together and expect wonder just because they're well, orange

that's the thing, Tommie - I'm not here to compete.
I'm here to maybe win a match or two, maybe gain some Leo points, and go on with my PvE "career".
and even if I don't win, I want a good match because good matches are fun.
as opposed to fkn being one-shot with a character, that probably has enough life and mitigation to take down Normal Dominus, if I could get to him without leveling past 28.

and I'd really like you to define "shit gear". most of the people I lost to - hell "lost" is a weak word. got fkn slaughtered by - presented multi-modded crazy gear, with an occasional 5-link when I asked them what they are using.
can't be that many PvP pros, correct?

as for Uniques well, you'll surely agree at least in PvE at this level range, Uniques are mostly superior to rares. especially if you can get a good synergy among their properties.
the rares I saw people wield in LLD nowadays, are anything but being at this level range.
they are pure insanity, and something I'd gladly finish Merciless or do 66 maps with, if I could get my hands on one.
which makes me wonder, how the bloody hell do these require level 28 in the first place?

so in conclusion:

do I consider myself a good PvP player? hell no. I do have some experience, but that's about it.
would I stand a chance, with this or similar gear, against someone rocking "The Thousand DPS, Hundred APS Bow Of One-Shotting", even if my name was LordSidro? not likely.

because when it's crazy gear vs. causal gear - skill becomes irrelevant.

it's only relevant when gear levels are somewhat similar, and I can't "compete" with people who Exalt the shit out of their already-too-good-to-be-true stuff, nor can I find any real similarly-geared opponents besides a handful of level 17-20 people with likely self-found items, which aren't fun to fight, because one-shots are bullshit even if you're the one doing the one-shotting.
Alva: I'm sweating like a hog in heat
Shadow: That was fun
Last edited by johnKeys on Jul 5, 2015, 6:56:17 PM
"
johnKeys wrote:
"

that's the thing, Tommie - I'm not here to compete.
I'm here to maybe win a match or two, maybe gain some Leo points, and go on with my PvE "career".
and even if I don't win, I want a good match because good matches are fun.
as opposed to fkn being one-shot with a character, that probably has enough life and mitigation to take down Normal Dominus, if I could get to him without leveling past 28.

and I'd really like you to define "shit gear". most of the people I lost to - hell "lost" is a weak word. got fkn slaughtered by - presented multi-modded crazy gear, with an occasional 5-link when I asked them what they are using.
can't be that many PvP pros, correct?

as for Uniques well, you'll surely agree at least in PvE at this level range, Uniques are mostly superior to rares. especially if you can get a good synergy among their properties.
the rares I saw people wield in LLD nowadays, are anything but being at this level range.
they are pure insanity, and something I'd gladly finish Merciless or do 66 maps with, if I could get my hands on one.
which makes me wonder, how the bloody hell do these require level 28 in the first place?

so in conclusion:

do I consider myself a good PvP player? hell no. I do have some experience, but that's about it.
would I stand a chance, with this or similar gear, against someone rocking "The Thousand DPS, Hundred APS Bow Of One-Shotting", even if my name was LordSidro? not likely.

because when it's crazy gear vs. causal gear - skill becomes irrelevant.

it's only relevant when gear levels are somewhat similar, and I can't "compete" with people who Exalt the shit out of their already-too-good-to-be-true stuff, nor can I find any real similarly-geared opponents besides a handful of level 17-20 people with likely self-found items, which aren't fun to fight, because one-shots are bullshit even if you're the one doing the one-shotting.

Even if gear was universally the same between every player it wont change who's winning and who's going to lose. That's just a lazy approach to balance. Where you really went wrong was trying to play Facebreaker when you have limited experience with PvP. It's really not a pick up and win build. You have to understand your limited options, how to bear trap to manipulate the arena. Have good flask understanding,resistence,match up experience and pretty much know your stuff to win against the otherwise easier...far easier builds i.e bow,caster. Weapon based melee isn't that much easier to play with but it is hell of a lot more efficient then FB when facing people that know how to PvP. You'll be abused for lack of movement skills and options, usually lack of range, attack speed...for the exchange of cheap gear and big damage. I suggest you build a trapper, a bow build or pick up a weapon if you want to just bash some fools every once and a while and feel like you're not getting shat on instantly with no hope.
GGG, the ADA of gaming....huuuur i gotz mai skilz.
IGN: MullaXul
"
MullaXul wrote:

Even if gear was universally the same between every player it wont change who's winning and who's going to lose.

true. but it will make matches a lot more interesting and fun for both sides, when neither side can 1/2-shot or face-tank the other. I believe that's what GGG was aiming at when they rebalanced PvP, but they could not possibly foresee people would throw a crap-ton of currency and craft/buy ridiculous stuff, which override this balance.

the fact of the matter is, you can currently just "buy" your way into competing in LLD.
those guys who manhandled my character, can't possibly all be the top-tier names I saw while watching the Invitational Tournaments - but I bet at least some of them can stand toe to toe with the likes of Sidro and co, by virtue of gear alone, even if they'll eventually lose.

(*) therefore as I said, skill only becomes relevant when the "gear threshold" is met, and that threshold has by now become completely unattainable to players like me.

"
You have to understand your limited options, how to bear trap to manipulate the arena. Have good flask understanding, resistance, match up experience and pretty much know your stuff

true as well, but let me give you an example of one match where I faced an Ele Wander, with an insane multi-modded Wand, who was just spamming the hell out of me with utterly ridiculous damage. Kinetic Blast off screen. Barrage when I managed to get close. seemingly never truly running out of mana.
so yeah locking him in place with a Bear Trap would achieve nothing, and flasks wouldn't really be relevant even if I did know the queue would put me up against him, and came in with resistance flasks.
my only hope was to one-shot him on the rare occasion I got within melee or Shield-Charge range - and that wasn't a possibility because he had good defence as well.
hence (*) again.

play a Trapper or an Archer? not likely.
I picked Facebreaker because I like playing melee, and because I want to try out a build I'll play (PvE) when The Awakening launches.
also, both of the above are gear-demanding. be it a bow for the archer, or high-quality gems for the Trapper.
Gear Threshold man. it's just constantly there.
The main flaw about your point of view, in my opinion, is that you don't want to compete. PvP is by definition a competitive feature.
Even if you want to try it casually, that doesn't mean other players have to do the same; and again, since the players' base is so small in LLD, it's obvious that 90% of the time you will meet llders with top gear.
When I started getting interested in LLD, I lost almost every match cause I went completely unprepared about it, bad gear, bad tree, zero experience.
The difference is that, instead of whining about it, I started farming for better gear, getting experience, learning how to play, so that I could meet the requirements needed to compete and have fun (and also avoiding getting oneshotted).
Au contraire, you blame other players and the system itself simply because you consider the requirements set too high and, even though you have all the means to meet them by farming and asking tips to more experienced players, you're too lazy or not enough interested in LLD to do so.
A PvE comparison of that way of thinking would be "man, I tried uber atziri with a bunch of random uniques and failed :O... of course, the difficulty is set for those crazy rich no lifer with insane dps mirrored gear, why they don't set it for people who wanna kill her casually?".
You might say that it's a feature that you have to right to try, and it's not really enjoyable since you're getting oneshotted, but once again (and for the last time), since the players base in LLD is so small, you should consider it as the niche feature it is, where the requirements to fully enjoy it are set by the people who actually play it (and that's really a good thing).
Btw I'm saying that as probably one the poorest players ever, but I managed to get really good LLD gear over the time.
To make it short: don't expect the game to fit all your wishes, instead get better to fit its requirement ;)
"

You might say that it's a feature that you have to right to try, and it's not really enjoyable since you're getting oneshotted, but once again (and for the last time), since the players base in LLD is so small, you should consider it as the niche feature it is, where the requirements to fully enjoy it are set by the people who actually play it (and that's really a good thing).

cannot argue with the above statement.
however I still find it ironic that Low Level PvP - meaning Dueling with characters up to level 28 - has been set a gear requirement for entry, similar (or even exceeding) early Maps.
you actually compared it to Uber Atziri, in your post, which is locked to over 99% of the players.

the LLD I remember - back in Beta - wasn't like this.
it was one where the best - "professional", 100% investment - of players always had the best toys, but also one where entry was low enough to even allow level 28- PvE characters, to have their fun.

seems like the small, competitive player base, has finally managed to close the gates to everyone else.
you all should take some time to think, if that's what you wanted to happen.

"

Btw I'm saying that as probably one the poorest players ever, but I managed to get really good LLD gear over the time.
To make it short: don't expect the game to fit all your wishes, instead get better to fit its requirement ;)

it's not about "farming". it's about highly target-oriented trading.
and I'm very bad at trading. extremely bad.
which means I'll never get the "competitive" level of gear to enter your closed club.

I can however improve my playing skills, which won't matter one bit because I'll still get obliterated until I'll obtain the necessary-quality gear (meaning, never).
as opposed to someone who maybe is less skilled in the game than me, but has the necessary "wealth" to enter the gate and become one of you.
and you will all welcome him with open arms, and train him in the secret arts of PvP, only because he comes bearing Exalts.

again, think about that. is it what you want?
From my point of view is not the "small competitive player base" that have closed the gates for casual players in LLD. The (awful) truth is that, since PoE is mainly a PvE-oriented game, most players are not interested in trying PvP features at all.
Of course I would really like to see the players' base grow, and I understand that the few who give it a try get discouraged by getting oneshotted, but I rather base my gear choices on the one of the other frequent llders, in order to have fun competing with them, than on the one of the casual player that gives it a try just once, gets killed, rages and then disappears.
It might sound short sighted to you, since you find the cause of the lack of interest in the difficulty of gathering the gear required to compete, but I think that the cause of the small interest in LLD is simply that people in PoE are focused on PvE and don't mind at all about PvP (without mentioning that most of the ones who do care about it, play HLD).
Summarizing, the small players base (composed by the ones who genuinely wanna compete in LLD, so naturally they will try to get the best possible gear) is a consequence, not the cause, of the low interest in LLD.
Ah, 99% of the LLD gear I collected, is farmed and crafted by myself (sometimes with RNG on my side, sometimes, most of them, without it :P)... so you don't really need trading to get good LLD gear.
"
From my point of view is not the "small competitive player base" that have closed the gates for casual players in LLD. The (awful) truth is that, since PoE is mainly a PvE-oriented game, most players are not interested in trying PvP features at all.
Of course I would really like to see the players' base grow, and I understand that the few who give it a try get discouraged by getting oneshotted, but I rather base my gear choices on the one of the other frequent llders, in order to have fun competing with them, than on the one of the casual player that gives it a try just once, gets killed, rages and then disappears.
It might sound short sighted to you, since you find the cause of the lack of interest in the difficulty of gathering the gear required to compete, but I think that the cause of the small interest in LLD is simply that people in PoE are focused on PvE and don't mind at all about PvP (without mentioning that most of the ones who do care about it, play HLD).
Summarizing, the small players base (composed by the ones who genuinely wanna compete in LLD, so naturally they will try to get the best possible gear) is a consequence, not the cause, of the low interest in LLD.
Ah, 99% of the LLD gear I collected, is farmed and crafted by myself (sometimes with RNG on my side, sometimes, most of them, without it :P)... so you don't really need trading to get good LLD gear.

the bold part, is absolute truth. however it is not the only cause.
the small, "elite", very well-geared LLD player base, is both a cause and a consequence.
play a Trapper or an Archer? not likely.
I picked Facebreaker because I like playing melee, and because I want to try out a build I'll play (PvE) when The Awakening launches.
also, both of the above are gear-demanding. be it a bow for the archer, or high-quality gems for the Trapper.
Gear Threshold man. it's just constantly there.

Well I did also mention you'd likely be better off with a weapon as melee compared to FB. I know you want to play FB but it just has a lot of short comings against experienced players or even ones that just wont let you get near them. FB is cheap enough, where even if you did pick up some better item choices i.e fox shade, better amulet you could PvE with it and compete more efficiently. That or consider offhand bow (to pester people from afar and set up opportunities to get into melee range) or melee set up to leap/whirl with so you have better movement options. You're not absolutely hopeless as FB, so if you're dead set on that instead of a melee weapon just work on getting a bit more experience and considering the options I mentioned above so you can close gaps better then shield charge. Bear traps, chilling, temporal chains, puncture, are all great ways to get people to stop moving or slow them down enough so you can get to work.

You can 5link a fox shade yourself easily, pick up a rare amulet that blows carnage heart out of the water and use a better pair of boots so you have 30%frw. A better amulet will cover the ring swap option to dream fragment to handle freeze in certain match ups. In others you can still wear a rare ring anyways. All super cheap but a big upgrade for you currently.
GGG, the ADA of gaming....huuuur i gotz mai skilz.
IGN: MullaXul
Last edited by MullaXul on Jul 6, 2015, 3:54:42 PM
@MullaXul, that's some extremely solid gameplay advice.
thanks man. I appreciate it a lot.

as for gearing, "super-cheap" is relative :)
especially since we are talking about level 28 crazy rares, as opposed to "just" crazy rares (which are easier to obtain).
even if I have to trade, I can't really afford most of what you suggested right now, and the only reason I actually have a Dream Fragments ring, is because I dropped it in the 1-month Flashback League.
it, and a Tabula Rasa.
both currently in use by a character in Maps.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info