Apparently New Zealand is governed by morons

"

This is the longest "Oh snap, you were right, sorry about that" I've ever seen.

Sorry, but that isn't the correct interpretation of what I wrote. My post was a polite way of saying that I disagree with much of what I was responding to, and some suggestions on how others can check for themselves on the positions made.
PoE Origins - Piety's story http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2081910
"
"
Raycheetah wrote:
[Removed by Support]

[Removed by Support]

That's not what Raycheetah posted.

What he posted was:

"I'd say more about the disproportionate demographics of violent crime rates in the US, but I'd prolly be probated for racism. ='[.]'="

There is a very real concern in the US at the political, judicial and legislative level as to how and why crime affects various populations. People are taking a look at all aspects trying to find solutions. A lot of sentencing processes are being reexamined because of the very real dichotomy. Different parts of the country are trying different solutions, both in the criminal system and in the schools to see if they can curtail the crime rates.

The underlying causes are complex, multitudinous and changing, and there is no consensus.

The raw statistics don't tell you anything but the data they do collect. That aggregate data doesn't have hidden variables and it certainly doesn't have anything about the possible motives or situation that led up to a crime.

As an example: If you collect data on how many people use a landline, cellphone, neither or both, then the database will only tell you those four things. It won't tell you whether people who use both have more money, or people who have only a cell phone travel more or anything else. If you are a phone company trying to gauge whether investing in upgrading landlines is a good idea, then it helps enormously.

The sole purpose of the FBI database is to give an accurate picture of crime.

From the site:

"The Uniform Crime Reporting (UCR) Program has been the starting place for law enforcement executives, students of criminal justice, researchers, members of the media, and the public at large seeking information on crime in the nation. The program was conceived in 1929 by the International Association of Chiefs of Police to meet the need for reliable uniform crime statistics for the nation. In 1930, the FBI was tasked with collecting, publishing, and archiving those statistics."

https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/ucr

Over the years, they have added to, deleted and changed what data they collect so that the database is more useful and relevant. Hate crimes, for instance were relatively recently added.

PoE Origins - Piety's story http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2081910
Last edited by Rachel on Jul 14, 2015, 6:09:33 AM
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
ScrotieNet, an organization consisting exclusively of my 5-year-old son and me, made a fact checking of Politifact's fact checking comparing cable news networks. We found that 100% of claims made by Politifact are "potentially biased" and "can I watch Spongebob?" (which I guess means boring).

I'm the sort of guy who gets moderately concerned about currency now that the gold standard has gone the way of the dodo. But I get seriously concerned that the gold standard for knowledge - primary sources - is an increasingly forgotten concept. If everyone does nothing but read Cliff notes, then everything is subject to the spin doctors writing biased Cliff notes.

When I first visited the site I "fact-checked" about 10-15 of their assessments on whether something is "true", "mostly true", etc., by checking their sources, other sources, and my own knowledge, and I found them all to be correct, as far as I could tell. They might have a bias in that they seem more motivated to prove Fox News wrong than they are with any other outlet, but this might be due to Fox News simply being more often wrong and more biased, and consistently so, than any other outlet.

"
DalaiLama wrote:
"

Sorry, but that isn't the correct interpretation of what I wrote. My post was a polite way of saying that I disagree with much of what I was responding to, and some suggestions on how others can check for themselves on the positions made.

That is how I understood it as well. The reason why I cited Poltifact is that they have a slew of assessments all bundled up. Picking out individual cases in which this outlet or that was misrepresenting things seemed pointless because it happens way too often, and for every case on the left one can find another on the right, and vice versa.
Last edited by Jojas on Jul 14, 2015, 6:08:59 AM
"
Jojas wrote:
That is how I understood it as well. The reason why I cited Poltifact is that they have a slew of assessments all bundled up.

You were right to cite them. They are very often on the mark, and while there might be an occasional mistake, I really don't recall them fudging or massaging their message to get a particular result.

"
Jojas wrote:
Picking out individual cases in which this outlet or that was misrepresenting things seemed pointless because it happens way too often, and for every case on the left one can find another on the right, and vice versa.

You are right on that. By news outlet its tough to gauge, since the people researching or investigating aren't the ones making the analysis, and none of them might be the ones delivering the report.

With the dearth of people paying for news, the various agencies rely more and more on sharing information. They just can't afford to have eyes on the ground in most cases. If the data they get is partial, or the people they are interviewing etc are intentionally misleading then the news agency looks foolish, or outright manipulative.

Journalism is not an easy field. Those that are dedicated to reporting with integrity are doing a huge service for everyone else. Once you get outside the range of verifiable facts and start talking about policy, impacts, theories etc, than it is much harder to substantiate or falsify what's being said. I don't think either side of political bodies issues is intentionally trying to lie about what they are claiming, so much as they fundamentally disagree on how things will turn out in the bigger picture.

The answers aren't easy to see, and if the different sides could sit down and discuss without fear of being castigated for working with the other party, then we'd be better off, I think. If we didn't have the intentional polarizing, the chance to see things from someone else's perspective would arise, and I suspect we'd see some very good insights into the issues, and better solutions.

Last edited by DalaiLama on Jul 14, 2015, 6:44:26 AM
"
DalaiLama wrote:
"

Apologies, I was just scatting and bebopping.

I was implying that a slight 'touche' was in order, though, as Jojas pointed out that there are watchdog groups analyzing cable news for veracity and, uh, truthiness, and that Fox news had a way lower adherence to truthy things when compare to the so-called 'liberal' media outlets. The numbers matter when making a claim that 'both sides' do the same thing. It's correct in one sense, that no outlet has a 100% truth rate, but incorrect when saying they are similar and comparable in regards to their bending of truthiness.
"Dude he fucking said hotdog racist.

Like I can't even make this shit up." - gj

1.0.0 Forum Posters now have 50% less Critical Thinking skill per Patch
"
DalaiLama wrote:
"
"
Raycheetah wrote:
[Removed by Support]

[Removed by Support]

That's not what Raycheetah posted.

What he posted was:

"I'd say more about the disproportionate demographics of violent crime rates in the US, but I'd prolly be probated for racism. ='[.]'="

There is a very real concern in the US at the political, judicial and legislative level as to how and why crime affects various populations. People are taking a look at all aspects trying to find solutions. A lot of sentencing processes are being reexamined because of the very real dichotomy. Different parts of the country are trying different solutions, both in the criminal system and in the schools to see if they can curtail the crime rates.

The underlying causes are complex, multitudinous and changing, and there is no consensus.

The raw statistics don't tell you anything but the data they do collect. That aggregate data doesn't have hidden variables and it certainly doesn't have anything about the possible motives or situation that led up to a crime.

As an example: If you collect data on how many people use a landline, cellphone, neither or both, then the database will only tell you those four things. It won't tell you whether people who use both have more money, or people who have only a cell phone travel more or anything else. If you are a phone company trying to gauge whether investing in upgrading landlines is a good idea, then it helps enormously.

The sole purpose of the FBI database is to give an accurate picture of crime.

From the site:

"The Uniform Crime Reporting (UCR) Program has been the starting place for law enforcement executives, students of criminal justice, researchers, members of the media, and the public at large seeking information on crime in the nation. The program was conceived in 1929 by the International Association of Chiefs of Police to meet the need for reliable uniform crime statistics for the nation. In 1930, the FBI was tasked with collecting, publishing, and archiving those statistics."

https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/ucr

Over the years, they have added to, deleted and changed what data they collect so that the database is more useful and relevant. Hate crimes, for instance were relatively recently added.

Well, I got a slap on the wrist for doing an FYP, but for the record it was obviously just to pull RayCheetah's chain and I don't think he was saying that he's a racist.

You addressed what I wanted to get at, and well said, in that it's a slippery slope if you don't factor in additional variables.

You (the king's you this time) can't say something like 'black folks commit more crimes' without factoring in socioeconomic standing, and the opposite is true as well in that you can't 'black folks go to jail more' without factoring in more variables. Simply put, we find that poor people commit crimes and poor people get incarcerated and it starts to balance out along racial line when socioeconmic lines are included.
"Dude he fucking said hotdog racist.

Like I can't even make this shit up." - gj

1.0.0 Forum Posters now have 50% less Critical Thinking skill per Patch
There is no fully reliable statistic on crimes being committed. There are only statistics on criminals being convicted. These are two very separate things.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info