Will we see actual reaction rewarding skills in the future?

I was wondering, now that lockstep is being introduced will we ever see skills that reward precision timing or positioning.

Melee dodging comes to mind, i often wish there were skills that allowed a melee character to dash/roll to a direction with a small distance (side or backwards), with a really fast cast time and low cooldown (maybe even having invincibility frames during the animation, but putting a larger cooldown).
Or for example a timed block skill that if timed correctly can reflect missiles back at the enemy.

I vaguely remember a leak of a "backstab" gem also a while back, which rewarded bonus damage when attacking from the back.

When GGG announced reactionary skills way back and it turned out to be more trigger gems a lot of us were really sad.
I realize this probably won't happen soon, or at all for that matter. However at times i wish the game rewarded a reflex type of playstyle a bit more (using your flasks doesn't count! :P).

Some bosses reward reflex play (atziri, vaal, etc) and i would like to see more of such fights rather than stuff like the atziri trio which consists of you running around like a chicken 80% of the time.

Opinions? :P
[2.2] The Vampire - Tanky 2H Axe Slayer Duelist - /view-thread/1611662
Last edited by Mannoth on Jun 24, 2015, 6:46:39 PM
Now that lockstep mode is being introduced it is definitely my hope that we will start to see more of this in the future. For now all I can do is cross my fingers.

However, I think even if they introduced such a thing, most people wouldn't use it. It is faster and easier to carpet bomb everything.
"Danger is like jello, there's always room for more."
http://www.twitch.tv/vejita00
Last edited by CliveHowlitzer on Jun 24, 2015, 7:04:02 PM
"
You're working under the assumption that everyone will want to use lockstep.

This isn't the case.

True but the major thing holding back reactionary skills was in my opinion that desync was inevitable. Sooner or later it will happen, and when it does your reactionary skill means nothing.

With lockstep being introduced at least there will be a population who can play the game without the desync and would be able to use such skills without fear.

Seeing as such skills would probably induce desync (ala cyclone), it would probably see more use at players who do use lockstep.
Last edited by Mannoth on Jun 24, 2015, 7:13:32 PM
Until you get a lag spike from your ISP and you still die...
"
hayze420 wrote:

If it became something the game became balanced around and everyone relied on inputs like that it would basically be dyseinc all over again.
"ran out of high teir maps to leave on the ground - people kept taking the higher teirs" - Da Pagionator
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T31clJn_oNQ
"
hayze420 wrote:

Like u wouldnt die if u would get lagspikes from ur isp now

[Removed by Support]
Last edited by Arthur_GGG on Jun 25, 2015, 5:00:49 AM
Since not 100 % of the playerbase will use lockstep, they can't balance the game around it.
IGN TylordRampage
I understand that the game can't be "balanced" around the assumption that everyone have the latency to run lockstep. But to refuse to designed some reaction-friendly skills, just because some people happens to have a shitty ISP and/or happens to live FAR away from infrastructure, is pretty bad for development.
Sometimes, just sometimes, you should really consider adapting to the world, instead of demanding that the world adapts to you.
"
You're working under the assumption that everyone will want to use lockstep.

This isn't the case.

Or that everyone can. If I get a consistent 70ms during a play session, it's only because I have been sacrificing virgin goats etc.

I'd still like to see a dodge or roll or something though - but things like Lightning Warp and Whirling Blades do a decent(ish) job of this. Maybe pure melee needs a similar skill.
== Officially Retired 27/02/2019 ==

Massive thanks to GGG for producing such a fun and engaging game, it has taken up faaaaaaar too much of my life over the last 5 years.

Best of luck in the future!
Last edited by CaptainWaffleIron on Jun 25, 2015, 4:15:17 AM
They don't have to balance the game around them... it would just be nice if they existed at all.

I doubt a roll or a dash would make or break the balance of the game.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info