State of the Beta - Post #3

When does the beta end and Act 4 planned to be added to the actual game? is it soon (1/2 months max) or is it later (5+ months) away?

Bad in looking things up, sry if its been told before.
"
dankmemes420 wrote:
"
Uvne wrote:
I don't think the gems should come with experience. I had always assumed that the XP system for gems was, in part, to generate opportunity cost for planning in the same way that other ARPGs might, but adjusting for the fact that PoE's skills are itemized rather than something you dump points into on your character sheet. Right now, as long as you're getting XP, you're "putting points" into the abilities you're using, and if you want to make a significant switch, you may, but you begin from nothing in much the same way as in any other RPG.

Under this new system, anyone with a higher level character or friend in the same league will have immediate access to a gem as if they had been leveling it all along, because from the way it's phrased here, it uses the level of the purchaser. It's only a minor bit of cheese, since it only gets you to around level 14, which doesn't take long on a character powerleveling gems in endgame maps anyway. But it's still something I think the game would be better off without if possible. We've been starting our multistrikes and echoes from level 1 while in the 50s for a long time now, and it hasn't been a problem.

A group of scientists placed 5 monkeys in a cage and in the middle, a ladder with bananas on the top.
Every time a monkey went up the ladder, the scientists soaked the rest of the monkeys with cold water.
After a while, every time a monkey went up the ladder, the others beat up the one on the ladder.
After some time, no monkey dare[d] to go up the ladder regardless of the temptation.

Scientists then decided to substitute one of the monkeys. The 1st thing this new monkey did was to go up the ladder. Immediately the other monkeys beat him up.

After several beatings, the new member learned not to climb the ladder even though he never knew why.

A 2nd monkey was substituted and the same occurred. The 1st monkey participated on [sic] the beating for [sic] the 2nd monkey. A 3rd monkey was changed and the same was repeated (beating). The 4th was substituted and the beating was repeated and finally the 5th monkey was replaced.
What was left was a group of 5 monkeys that even though never received a cold shower, continued to beat up any monkey who attempted to climb the ladder.
If it was possible to ask the monkeys why they would beat up all those who attempted to go up the ladder ... I bet you the answer would be ... "I don't know — that's how things are done around here" Does it sound familiar?
monkey see, monkey do.. hah

Lockstep hype!

Gem vendors hype!
http://poestatistics.com/users/seibar/
Any Words on other languages like German?
"
Walltrigger wrote:
When does the beta end and Act 4 planned to be added to the actual game? is it soon (1/2 months max) or is it later (5+ months) away?

Bad in looking things up, sry if its been told before.

It Says it in the post at the bottom don't know how you missed

"
Qarl wrote:
Are We Still on Track?

So far we are still on track for the end of June or beginning of July. A lot will depend on whether the lockstep changes go as smoothly as we hope.

We are currently on track for content being added to the beta. Balance changes are still happening, but very soon we'll be heading towards refinement rather than large changes.
Looks like I'll have to re-get the beta client (you can only have one client installed via Steam), but that's OK, since my HC Ruckus character RIPed over the weekend (though Ruckus is some of the most fun I've had since first starting PoE way back when, mostly due to the better drops due to all of the Exiles and Invasion bosses).

I'm looking forward to testing Deterministic Step, especially with the servers just down the road. ;)

Will there be a wipe for this patch?
Hey -

Could you please make a toggle between live and beta launchers?

When I installed beta, despite the fact I put it in an entirely fresh folder, it changed both of my launchers. I can no longer access live - without uninstalling beta and re-installing live.
Patch Notes 3.15:
Fixed a bug where players believed the game was playable. This has been corrected and made retroactive.
Patch Notes 3.19:
Fixed a bug where players adapted to 3.15. This bug cannot be corrected, so we have implemented a 90% reduction in item access as a punishment.
"
BlaqWolf wrote:
Hey -

When I installed beta, despite the fact I put it in an entirely fresh folder, it changed both of my launchers. I can no longer access live - without uninstalling beta and re-installing live.

I can launch both just fine so not sure what the issue is here.
"
dankmemes420 wrote:
"
Uvne wrote:
I don't think the gems should come with experience. I had always assumed that the XP system for gems was, in part, to generate opportunity cost for planning in the same way that other ARPGs might, but adjusting for the fact that PoE's skills are itemized rather than something you dump points into on your character sheet. Right now, as long as you're getting XP, you're "putting points" into the abilities you're using, and if you want to make a significant switch, you may, but you begin from nothing in much the same way as in any other RPG.

Under this new system, anyone with a higher level character or friend in the same league will have immediate access to a gem as if they had been leveling it all along, because from the way it's phrased here, it uses the level of the purchaser. It's only a minor bit of cheese, since it only gets you to around level 14, which doesn't take long on a character powerleveling gems in endgame maps anyway. But it's still something I think the game would be better off without if possible. We've been starting our multistrikes and echoes from level 1 while in the 50s for a long time now, and it hasn't been a problem.

A group of scientists placed 5 monkeys in a cage and in the middle, a ladder with bananas on the top.
Every time a monkey went up the ladder, the scientists soaked the rest of the monkeys with cold water.
After a while, every time a monkey went up the ladder, the others beat up the one on the ladder.
After some time, no monkey dare[d] to go up the ladder regardless of the temptation.

Scientists then decided to substitute one of the monkeys. The 1st thing this new monkey did was to go up the ladder. Immediately the other monkeys beat him up.

After several beatings, the new member learned not to climb the ladder even though he never knew why.

A 2nd monkey was substituted and the same occurred. The 1st monkey participated on [sic] the beating for [sic] the 2nd monkey. A 3rd monkey was changed and the same was repeated (beating). The 4th was substituted and the beating was repeated and finally the 5th monkey was replaced.
What was left was a group of 5 monkeys that even though never received a cold shower, continued to beat up any monkey who attempted to climb the ladder.
If it was possible to ask the monkeys why they would beat up all those who attempted to go up the ladder ... I bet you the answer would be ... "I don't know — that's how things are done around here" Does it sound familiar?

Really interesting story, I like it. But what if they all went on the ladder at the same time? Or when a monkey strikes when all other monkey's are sleeping?
Last edited by MyBallsOnYaChin on May 18, 2015, 3:33:42 PM
beta patch pls :D
"
oO_CurrY_Oo wrote:
"
BlaqWolf wrote:
Hey -

I can launch both just fine so not sure what the issue is here.

This.

It should be installing as follows:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Grinding Gear Games\Path of Exile\[stuff]
C:\Program Files (x86)\Grinding Gear Games\Path of Exile - The Awakening Closed Beta\[stuff]

(ignore the " (x86)" part if your on 32-bit Windows)

You may have to create your own shortcuts if for some reason the shortcuts on your desktop got messed up.

OR you may be using the Steam version, which has it's own oddities (someone above reported that Steam didn't like both being installed - which seems like odd behavior to me).

EDIT - Although, when the beta updates, it makes itself look like the live launcher updating (the update notes are the same) - however, I am still able to access both clients with a problem.
Last edited by BINARYGOD on May 18, 2015, 8:27:16 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info