Aura Reservation and Reduced Mana Support Gem Change

"
+1

I really like the general idea of this. I've always felt like reduced mana on auras and heralds was pretty mandatory, hence illusion of choice.

The kind of htings I'd love to see:

- A Hybrid % Mana and Flat mana wheel
- A Hybrid % mana and Int wheel

- An Aura wheel with nodes that only affect defensive or offensive auras, thus allow more reservation or effect, but only to a subset of all auras

- An Aura wheel with nodes that only affect auras of specific elements (Fire, Cold, Lightning), such as "Increased Effect of Fire Auras" might affect Purity of Fire and Anger (or for example allow it to be Fire Buffs and then you can include Herald of Ashe).

- Allow Buff effect nodes, but limit them to a specific element type, or offensive or defensive, such that 1 node cluster isn't best in slot for everyone, but different builds would seek out now different such clusters.

More build choices = win.

There is no more choice. Enlighten is replacing RM.

Choice is Empower 4 or Cold to Fire 21/20 (or dozens of other choices depending on build)

There is one choice if you want to run lots of aura, same as before. Enlighten.
Git R Dun!
Last edited by Aim_Deep on May 8, 2015, 10:45:44 AM
I'm all for this change- the socket tax for running multiple auras was rather silly.

...but then you replace it with a much rarer, much more expensive gem; a gem which requires such a huge time investment to be useful that even the most ardent poop-socker says "ain't nobody got time fo dat."

Now I'm left scratching my head.

Overall I'm delighted. But, there just has to be a way to make Enlighten more desirable, other than this.
A comprehensive, easy on the eyes loot filter:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1245785

Need a chill group exiles to hang with? Join us:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1251403
Last edited by Antnee on May 8, 2015, 10:41:59 AM
"
goetzjam wrote:
"
The thing I'm most worried about is that the monkeys on balance team will take beta feedback and just beta feedback and decide that the change is okay because people are still capable of making builds.

The point is that you are destroying ALL EXISTING BUILDS. When 2.0 hits, I should not have to spend a week scrambling to devise a new setup for my level 95 SRS summoner.

She has mirrored gloves from Ghazzy for auras. RRRG. It took us 30 minutes and over 2000 chromatic orbs to get those fucking colors. Ghazzy probably remembers it because he was a great guy and used some of his own chroms for me. AND NOW THEY ARE USELESS. THERE IS NO BLUE SLOT FOR ENLIGHTEN.

Making mirrored items not top-tier is fine. I don't give any shits about that.

Making them suddenly complete shit if they were made for auras? No, fuck you. Fuck you all. This change could be maybe acceptable for temp leagues, but not Standard.

So mad for no reason, with the aura changes you shouldn't need enlighten in order to still run the same build, sure that gem slot that is (R) will be either useless or used for devouring totem or something else, it doesn't mean your character is ruined.

Its PoE 2.0 of course lots of things are going to changed, but you really had to come on the forums and cry about something they are testing in beta that is completely logical in the direction they would like to go with the game?

I guess technically they could maybe make enlighten into a blue OR red gem, but that seems like a crazy compromise.

From the values they're giving us, you do absolutely need an enlighten to run the same build. 100%. You need an enlighten that is effectively level 4 and you're set, you'll get near-identical % reserved.

Which means that this change does absolutely nothing for the game except make Reduced Mana a blue gem that costs a billion times more currency.
Read my book! The world ending in every way anyone ever thought it might end, all at once. First few chapters are available online for free.
http://www.amazon.com/The-End-World-Know-ebook/dp/B00CZ21JAQ
Last edited by TheTenthDoc on May 8, 2015, 10:58:52 AM
"
Aim_Deep wrote:
There is no more choice. Enlighten is replacing RM.

Choice is Empower 4 or Cold to Fire 21/20 (or dozens of other choices depending on build)

There is one choice if you want to run lots of aura, same as before. Enlighten.

Yes, this. This is just completely, 100% the case. The fact that Enlighten is still worse than reduced mana used to be doesn't help. The fact that to get "where you were before", Enlighten is required, is just the worst thing.
Just a reminder that the % change in beta right now is paltry. Everyone happy about this keep in mind it is about 1/2 what you get from a lvl 20 RM now, if that.
"
Rory wrote:
As they no longer work with Reduced Mana, we can make reservation costs less mana intensive for characters that previously wouldn't have access to Reduced Mana, and reduce socket pressure for players that previously would have needed a Reduced Mana support to reach the same reservation levels.
Enlighten becomes a much more desirable support. It now gives an option for end-game builds that are willing to give up sockets to reduce reservation, without the support being so impactful that every build that uses auras feels that it's absolutely necessary.

This literally doesn't make sense. So you are saying it's less accessible for people to buy a 1ex Lvl20 Reduce Mana gem, but somehow more accessible for a 30+ex Level 4 Enlighten? What? Also, good luck getting these in the temp leagues.

You also aren't reducing any socket pressure whatsoever, you are just shifting it to a different gem. The reasoning of putting it on Enlighten is laughable, really, simply because you designed it so poorly no one wants it? Might as well just create a new gem labeled Reduced Reservation or rename Enlighten, it's essentially what you are doing.

The entire nature of aura's is to fit as many as you can, effectively. If there is a gem that moves towards that goal, it will be mandatory no matter what you try to do.

"

Reduced Mana can have much higher values than previously, making it a better choice for reducing skill mana costs.

If you think people are going to give a socket up for that... boy do we have news for you. How many people even bother to use a quality Reduced Mana now? crickets Lets see, less mana usage so I can use my skill more, or more damage so I have to use my skill less frequently because everything dies in fewer casts. Which will everyone choose? The only reason it was even used was because of auras. So now you'll have an expensive must have item vs a cheap item no one will use. What exactly does that accomplish?

This post worries me of the current developer disconnect with their own game.
Last edited by Blood_Sail on May 8, 2015, 11:20:45 AM
the whining here is hilarious. sounds like a great change to me!
This whole Enlighten idea could quite possibly lead to funds going to RMT sites instead of supporter packs.

Just drop it and introduce a red quest reward gem that everyone will have access to with the same aura reduction values at L21 as what Enlighten L4 would give.
Casuals: sorted.
Mirrored gear: sorted.
Balance: as intended with Enlighten but without the retardism.
dear GGG,
have you ever played for real your own game?
imho, no.
Where did rory once say this would hit live servers? Can anyone tell me? No, you can't because it didn't happen. People whining please be quiet about your fragile builds on live that cannot handle change. It's a beta.
Make Things For Smile!
Last edited by AdzPoE on May 8, 2015, 11:25:31 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info