Do our characters talk in Act 4?

Please keep the other dialogues short and sparse - that what it makes them interesting and the personalities enigmatic. All that incomprehensible talk the Scion does ruins the mood (It's not a coincidence the only Scion I leveled was on release, and never again...). She's awfully melodramatic and most her babbling doesn't make any sense to me.

Other characters have understandable, witty one-liners and that's how you should keep it, unless you want to ruin their personalities.
When night falls
She cloaks the world
In impenetrable darkness
Last edited by morbo on May 9, 2015, 10:54:41 AM
"
Damien_GGG wrote:
There's a little more dialogue for all characters coming. We heard the complaints about the Scion - it was a learning situation for us; we were keen to have the player characters carry more of their story arc and we were pushed for time on the Scion and only understood the impact of the choices made once they were actually ingame (there's a lot on everyone's plate around major updates).

I think we can do better going forward and whilst we won't be cramming so much dialogue into the player character updates as we did with the Scion there'll be some of the standard extra content for the new Act and some interesting ideas I hope you'll like.

Have to be careful dialogue doesn't end up like d3 followers, they never shut up.
its me solwitch... This is my split personality. This is a more kinder gentler persona.
Twitch.tv/guyarmani

-everyone aspiring to be a game designer should really listen to PoE podcast!!!
"
Damien_GGG wrote:
There's a little more dialogue for all characters coming. We heard the complaints about the Scion - it was a learning situation for us; we were keen to have the player characters carry more of their story arc and we were pushed for time on the Scion and only understood the impact of the choices made once they were actually ingame (there's a lot on everyone's plate around major updates).

I think we can do better going forward and whilst we won't be cramming so much dialogue into the player character updates as we did with the Scion there'll be some of the standard extra content for the new Act and some interesting ideas I hope you'll like.

Damien, thank you so much for putting the extra attention toward the voice acting. Hearing the characters is our primary way of interfacing with the lore and the world. I hope that you'll be able to retroactively add more dialogue for the first three acts as well. It's exciting to know that you're paying this extra attention!

Have you thought about alternate rare kill quotes for the classes, rotating between three or four? Quotes on unique drops? Lines for leveling milestones up to one hundred?

I know that people had a lot to say about the Scion's dialogue level, but hearing our characters after defeating different sub-bosses was really neat, and the comments upon entering the interesting areas adds so much flavor.
Ruby light of Songbird dreaming,
Daring King of Swords deceiving,
Queen of Sirens left in grieving,
Star of Wraeclast evermore.
"
Xedralya wrote:
I hope that you'll be able to retroactively add more dialogue for the first three acts as well.

Yes we've done this a bit here and there.

"
Have you thought about alternate rare kill quotes for the classes, rotating between three or four?

Yes, I've done this for the Marauder now, the other characters to come.

"
Quotes on unique drops?

I wish we could do this but the tech isn't there at this time as far as I know. We do however have some interesting unique weapons that talk, coming soon e.g. The Goddess Unleashed - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/504429. I've voiced one of them and we recorded a potential version for the other one yesterday. Fingers crossed for their inclusion soon!

"
Lines for leveling milestones up to one hundred?

It would be nice to perhaps have a few more of these for the later levels - I'm not sure how doable it is taking all factors into consideration (e.g. deadline for release, extra writing, extra file size, etc.)

"
I know that people had a lot to say about the Scion's dialogue level, but hearing our characters after defeating different sub-bosses was really neat, and the comments upon entering the interesting areas adds so much flavor.

I think so too - we have a better idea of how to do this now (to avoid the perceived excess melodrama of the Scion, the overly 'chattiness', etc.) but at this stage we won't be going anywhere near as far as we did with the Scion - we've definitely got extra content though so I hope that satisfies!
"
Damien_GGG wrote:
"
Xedralya wrote:
I hope that you'll be able to retroactively add more dialogue for the first three acts as well.

"
Have you thought about alternate rare kill quotes for the classes, rotating between three or four?

"
Quotes on unique drops?

I wish we could do this but the tech isn't there at this time as far as I know. We do however have some interesting unique weapons that talk, coming soon e.g. The Goddess Unleashed - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/504429. I've voiced one of them and we recorded a potential version for the other one yesterday. Fingers crossed for their inclusion soon!

"

It would be nice to perhaps have a few more of these for the later levels - I'm not sure how doable it is taking all factors into consideration (e.g. deadline for release, extra writing, extra file size, etc.)

"

I think so too - we have a better idea of how to do this now (to avoid the perceived excess melodrama of the Scion, the overly 'chattiness', etc.) but at this stage we won't be going anywhere near as far as we did with the Scion - we've definitely got extra content though so I hope that satisfies!

To save thousands of dollars, just get a moderator to record their voice for a character going "hmmmmm," like when LaraCroft finds a hidden area in the game or items. Just a simple groan, hiss, laugh all that's needed (depending on character) for a dialogue to establish a unique dropped.
its me solwitch... This is my split personality. This is a more kinder gentler persona.
Twitch.tv/guyarmani

-everyone aspiring to be a game designer should really listen to PoE podcast!!!
"
Damien_GGG wrote:
"
Xedralya wrote:

"

"
Quotes on unique drops?

"

"

Thank you for sharing this with us Damien; keep up the great work!
"Experience is the best teacher,but there's only one seat in his classroom."
Play with honour and show some class - www.theAmazonBasin.com
Zarabeth - Level 89 Ranger
Wicked Wanda - Level 87 Witch
Xarabeth - Level 79 Scion
"
Damien_GGG wrote:

I just want to say I loved the extra chattiness the first play through and still like 90% of it. I felt like I got a lot more perspective than through the lore stuff. Also she was a whiney noble's daughter. Made sense to me.
It itches!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Last edited by LordItchy on May 10, 2015, 10:22:24 AM
Can't please everybody, but I think it is very nice that we have a variety of "speech" personalities. Playing as the Scion was by far the most interesting playthrough I have experienced, but all those broody silent types also have their own appeal.

here i stand, countless miles and mairdurrs layturr.
What about a chattiness slider? That way you could satisfy the people who want more voice acting and the people who want less voice acting at the same time.
On the first day of gaming, RNG brought for me: one Flame Hellion of Frost on The Rocky Climb.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info