Desktop PC crashing without BSOD

Hi, I recently have been getting random PC crash issues while playing PoE. I have no idea what is going on, I had a guy in-game try some stuff to help me like disabling sound with --nosound, but it occurred after trying that. I ran a cpu and gpu stress test at the same time after this happened to see if it was a psu issue, and all seemed well. Although, I only ran it for ~10 minutes.

Everything should be up to date on my end, graphics drivers and what not.

I have unchecked the automatically restart option when system failure to see if I could get a bsod, but haven't got one yet to further see what the issue could be. I am going to try to run the cpu and gpu stress for a long period of time later and see what happens, but just trying to get some help here during the meantime. Thanks in advance, and if anyone needs extra info. on anything, i'm around.

Everything should be up to date on my end, graphics drivers and what not. Also, this happened to me before the awakening beta, it happened during the 5day just the other day. So I guess that might rule out an isolated issue on one client.
IGN:skydog
Last edited by Skydogg5555 on May 1, 2015, 7:18:47 PM
Check BlueScreenView to check for bsod. It's the best way to locate them.
Is that only associated with people who get Bsod's and don't know where to see what caused it? I could use that if I get one. I just now got a message saying pathofexile.exe stopped working and I closed it. I think that might have been a crash if I still had restart automatically checked. I went into the logs in the awakening beta folder and didn't find anything though. -_-
Generic crashes go into the Windows Event/Error logs.

Look for the crash in there and report what it says. Could be related to the other problems you're having.
I was the one helping him in game.

The game isn't crashing to windows, it's doing exactly what would happen if you pressed the reset button on the tower and not giving Windows any chance to either gracefully close or to BSOD by the sounds of it.

It doesn't look like it's PoE doing anything special that's causing it. certainly not on the sound side of things which is the usual culprit in my own experience with this game.

I doubt there's any logs in the event viewer since it's not giving him a BSOD which means kernel dump debugging is probably not worth investigating either.

It does have the hallmark of being a power or heat related issue but without being able to reproduce it in any other applications that indicates something else is going on. I wonder if it's the actual power going into the computer causing it, but then we would still expect it to do the same when testing the system while the cpu/gpu is loaded.

Skydogg, try leaving the CPU/GPU loaded for a few hours or overnight and see if it restarts at all. If it does reboot see if you can replace the power cable going to your desktop with a new one and also try it on a different power outlet in the house as well. That doesn't eliminate a possible environmental issue completely but it might be worthwhile regardless. If that doesn't fix it then I think the next best option is going to be to start looking at possible faulty hardware. You can run Prime95 on the 'blend' setting to test the RAM, or use MemTest86 to test it before loading into windows. Aside from that you'll wanna take out as many devices/graphics cards/sound cards etc from the motherboard as possible and see if it still does it. If you can't remove anything else then you'll want to replace parts. PSU > Motherboard > CPU is usually the order I would go for unless I had spare parts lying around already.

You might also want to run something to keep an eye on temperatures as well, coretemp will monitor the CPU and record the highest temps reached, you can do the same for the GPU but I would only expect that to throttle itself or crash the driver in windows, not cause the PC to cut out like it is.

What does everyone else think? Have I missed anything out or do you think PoE might still be the cause?
I think your assessment is fine, but I think checking BlueScreenView and the windows error logs are at least worth checking.

I also don't think the cable is the issue. It very rarely is. More likely, it's a hardware failure like PSU. That's the most common failure I've seen.
If that is the case, I really don't understand how PoE alone can cause this to happen? I've been running cpu stress paired with gpu stress tests for some time now, and everything is totally fine. No high temps or anything out of the ordinary.
"
Skydogg5555 wrote:
If that is the case, I really don't understand how PoE alone can cause this to happen? I've been running cpu stress paired with gpu stress tests for some time now, and everything is totally fine. No high temps or anything out of the ordinary.

The thing about PoE is that it is stressful on multiple components at the same time. Most stress test stuff only really stresses one component at a time.

PoE requires a lot of power because of the simultaneous usage of all the components at the same time, in addition to all your fans on all the components to keep up with all the generated heat.

The power draw by the components is sometimes more than the PSU can handle. Also, if any of the main components become undervolted, it can cause the PC to freak out.
Surely a cpu stress test and a gpu stress test both sitting at 100% load for both is stressing enough components to get a similar experience than just playing POE? Just this last night I ran it for 2 hours, with cpu 100% load gpu, 90-100$, with NO problems. I've played D3 for like 10 hours in one sitting multiple times without any issues, I don't understand how POE can cause this to happen, is it the lack of optimization?
"
Skydogg5555 wrote:
Surely a cpu stress test and a gpu stress test both sitting at 100% load for both is stressing enough components to get a similar experience than just playing POE? Just this last night I ran it for 2 hours, with cpu 100% load gpu, 90-100$, with NO problems. I've played D3 for like 10 hours in one sitting multiple times without any issues, I don't understand how POE can cause this to happen, is it the lack of optimization?

I have the same issue as you, and it's only when playing PoE. I can run Furmark and Prime95, simultaneously, for hours on end with no crashes or reboots. When I play PoE the system may restart only 10 seconds into playing. No BSOD, no errors.

Memtest ran for 12 hours with no errors.

I've spent the past week just trying different things to fix my issue, but haven't gotten anywhere. I've re-installed Win 8.1. I've flashed the most up-to-date BIOS. I've tweaked different BIOS settings. Checked my temps, voltages, etc (all fine.) All my drivers are up-to-date, and I've even tried older versions of the drivers.

This issue is only happening when I play PoE, and there doesn't seem to be any reason.

Many people claim that it's a PSU issue, but there is zero evidence to back that theory up, considering everything runs under full load for hours, and doesn't cause a reboot. I've ordered a new PSU anyway, and will be getting it on Monday. If that doesn't fix my issues I don't know what to do anymore.

I understand your frustration completely.

My system specs, if you're curious:

Windows 8.1
Asus Maximus VI Hero
i7 4770k @ 3.5GHz
EVGA GTX 780
16 GB G.SKILL Trident X Series @ 1866
PoE is installed on a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD
"Pity for the guilty is treason to the innocent."
Last edited by Sadisticmgt on May 3, 2015, 1:15:29 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type