Freeze pulse and the shotgun change

Ok I see what you are saying but the issue is that without the major dmg gained via shotgun FP is a pretty shitty skill.

Low range, low aoe, weak dmg at range.

Glacial Cascade is better in every way.

You might end up linking lmp to it anyway in order to properly clear.

So a lot of the flexibility is lost.

You're absolutely right, if we're looking at FP in a vacuum and assuming it will remain as is.

Nothing has been announced (nor is there need to announce anything yet) but I feel it is safe to assume that if no-shotgunning is a change (and it is), then other things will change as well. To assume otherwise, at least to me, means to assume incompetence among the balance staff (or an oversight, but I doubt such a change could slip by without first a considerable amount of forethought).
Tangent
IMHO, reality lies somewhere in the middle, where in a way GGG are simultaneously among some of the most and least competent professionals in the industry; we're just often too polarized and only see them for one or the other. It certainly makes them one of the most charming teams competing in today's market--they set the bar impossibly high, and it's the ways they handle falling short of that that defines them in the public eye, but at the same time the ways they exceed their own impossible expectations that hurdles them ever forward.

As per your example, I foresee a future where FP and GC are no longer mutually exclusive to one another, one or the other being always being the better of the two, but instead more circumstantially inclined. At mid to long range GC will take the cake; at close range and with a wider AoE, FP will be preferred at close and sometimes mid range. When more mobs are faster orclose by and an even wider range is concerned, multipro FP will be even better. When mobs are easier to kite (than vice versa), GC... Etc..

Nonetheless, at the end of the day, we're looking at a totally different FP, which cannot and should not be measured by these metrics established by "as is now."
Devolving Wilds
Land
“T, Sacrifice Devolving Wilds: Search your library for a basic land card and reveal it. Then shuffle your library.”
Last edited by CanHasPants on Apr 22, 2015, 1:22:07 PM
Well, all judgement we can make is based on what we currently see. And it isn't like there haven't been long forgotten skills in the past that were totally inferior.

What I am advocating here is that FP isn't forgotten in the current state.
One easy way out is to add an exception for it so that it "can shotgun" given how it can be considered as "incidental aoe" (as Chris said it).

There are of course other directions to take the skill, but the easiest available is usually the best one.
And I disagree with that exception. I can see maybe making it for Spark, but imo FP is one of the skills in the best position to benefit from this change.

For sure, more information (and thus time) is needed, else we can only continue to post assumptions (both ways) in the meantime ^-^
Devolving Wilds
Land
“T, Sacrifice Devolving Wilds: Search your library for a basic land card and reveal it. Then shuffle your library.”
Shotgunning is still possible but shotgun crit got finally removed this is one of the game elements pissing me off for like forever.

Increased Crit LMP rares in lower Prison normal could easily do more damage with a crit shotgun(triple shock) than most act 2 mobs without crit.

FP is fine. What would really destroy FP is the 100% inbuild pierce.
You can check out Ziggy's stream atm to see just how bad FP is at the moment.
Fully leveled 4L FP with Frost Dmg Spec clears 1/3 as fast as using 3L Fireball .
Do you mean current fireball? Because no-shotgun is an indirect buff to fireball. Just saying, that doesn't amount to much without more information.

Btw, even though I'm mostly disagreeing with you, I am absolutely on board with cautioning GGG how to rebalance FP while balance is in such a malleable state. I just disagree with the why, which leads to different kinds of how.
Devolving Wilds
Land
Except that spark can still shotgun if the projectile hit the wall before going back to the mob (it just can't straight out shotgun when ur launching it). And fyi, the few people using spark right now usually did it without using multiproj setup. I myself played a sparker in bloodline single proj focused on cast speed, and it worked really well.

But FP cannot have its projectiles bounce everywhere. And your only argument to remove shotgun from it is "everyone was using multiproj on it". Well, news, almost everyone uses multi proj on proj setup. It's not like there's hundred of choices, and this isn't just because it's effective, but also because it's just cool.

Now, FP is just dead IF they don't balance it, meaning adding more damage to the base, which will lead us eventually to either
a) have an op fp which deals ridiculous damage with point blank to single target, or
b) have an underpowered fp which deals too little damage to be used.

Because you know what? It doesn't synergize with everything else (except cast speed which works with... every cast build). It synergized well with multiproj because it shotgunned, allowing for an agressive almost melee playstyle. Now it's just a shitty spell which will be either dead for a year or two (until they rebalance the game entirely :p ) or just plain op when ur building towards it.

Where's the improvement?
"
Necrogue wrote:
Damage at lvl20 now
255-382
Damage at lvl20 CB
413-619

Plus you get the free gem slot where GMP was.

Plus you huehuehue, NO! This is a 50% straight damage reduction without even having to use GMP to do so, you don't get a free gem slot, you lose 10% of a gem slot, 150% if you decide to try and use GMP... The re-balance is shit, dude. :/

Lets all just stfu and follow ZiggyD's method of shotgunning with AoE instead, since that's OBVIOUSLY NOT OP. Glacial Cascade for the win aww yeh... AWW FUCK THAT SHIT!
Last edited by Do_odle on Apr 22, 2015, 7:05:35 PM
"
Faatality wrote:
Except that spark can still shotgun if the projectile hit the wall before going back to the mob (it just can't straight out shotgun when ur launching it). And fyi, the few people using spark right now usually did it without using multiproj setup. I myself played a sparker in bloodline single proj focused on cast speed, and it worked really well.

But FP cannot have its projectiles bounce everywhere. And your only argument to remove shotgun from it is "everyone was using multiproj on it". Well, news, almost everyone uses multi proj on proj setup. It's not like there's hundred of choices, and this isn't just because it's effective, but also because it's just cool.

Now, FP is just dead IF they don't balance it, meaning adding more damage to the base, which will lead us eventually to either
a) have an op fp which deals ridiculous damage with point blank to single target, or
b) have an underpowered fp which deals too little damage to be used.

Because you know what? It doesn't synergize with everything else (except cast speed which works with... every cast build). It synergized well with multiproj because it shotgunned, allowing for an agressive almost melee playstyle. Now it's just a shitty spell which will be either dead for a year or two (until they rebalance the game entirely :p ) or just plain op when ur building towards it.

Where's the improvement?

I feel you summed it up pretty well.
FP was made to synergyse with MultiProj and the shotgun that came with it.
Without it, we need a redesign

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info