We need to discuss Kripparrian's latest video => Choosing the right class. Improvements needed !

"
bhavv wrote:
Call me crazy of you want, but I think that the reason the current game is as bad as it it for melee is because of Krips earlier overpowered builds in this game. He was doing HP stacking Templars and other classes in the CB, and it seems like GGG actually went and rebalanced the game around his overpowered builds, hence why people using different builds are now struggling so much.

I'm trying to remember a time when melee builds were the way to go, and I can't. Seems like ranged / elemental / spells have always been the top skills. Krip and his ilk just amplify that disparity, since so many folks copy their builds. I think there's been enough feedback that melee is a bit weak; I can imagine GGG spreading a little buff-love sooner rather than later.
"Experience is the best teacher,but there's only one seat in his classroom."
Play with honour and show some class - www.theAmazonBasin.com
Zarabeth - Level 89 Ranger
Wicked Wanda - Level 87 Witch
Xarabeth - Level 79 Scion
"
OldeSchool wrote:
"
bhavv wrote:
Call me crazy of you want, but I think that the reason the current game is as bad as it it for melee is because of Krips earlier overpowered builds in this game. He was doing HP stacking Templars and other classes in the CB, and it seems like GGG actually went and rebalanced the game around his overpowered builds, hence why people using different builds are now struggling so much.

I'm trying to remember a time when melee builds were the way to go, and I can't. Seems like ranged / elemental / spells have always been the top skills. Krip and his ilk just amplify that disparity, since so many folks copy their builds. I think there's been enough feedback that melee is a bit weak; I can imagine GGG spreading a little buff-love sooner rather than later.

I was playing an Ice specced caster templar in the CB and it worked great in cruel diff. The same build now gets one shotted almost everywhere in cruel difficulty. I just started trying a melee shadow and it was surprisingly powerful in Act 1 cruel. Then in act 2 it faces the exact same problem my templar did, too squishy and just drops dead all the time even with lots of HP and ES npassives.
(b) Personal abuse, foul language, inappropriate subject matter, obscene, harassing, threatening, hateful, or discriminatory or defamatory remarks of any nature ... are not permitted.

- PoE TOS.
I think it's more the fact that between the three main attributes, DEX is the weakest. It's no coincidence that it's the DEX-based classes that need buffs.

Some people, myself included, have been calling for a rework of the DEX stat for a loooong time. I'm a little sad to see they didn't fix it before open beta, but I have faith they'll make something good out of it eventually.
Would anybody like some... POUNDCAKE?
i think the game is really a bit too hardcore in terms of difficulty..

i had to dump 2 chars now in order to reach merciless (started playing since ob)

i think what they need to do is:
make the path to the endgame easier
while making endgame harder

since endgame is maps this would be perfect to balance

hard mod maps = really really hard with great rewards

while mid/easy mod maps = mediocre xp with less and bad rewards..

so everybody is happy, nobody would rant since they get to chose what maps they are running

"
qjay wrote:
i think the game is really a bit too hardcore in terms of difficulty..

i had to dump 2 chars now in order to reach merciless (started playing since ob)

i think what they need to do is:
make the path to the endgame easier
while making endgame harder

since endgame is maps this would be perfect to balance

hard mod maps = really really hard with great rewards

while mid/easy mod maps = mediocre xp with less and bad rewards..

so everybody is happy, nobody would rant since they get to chose what maps they are running

I agree, success for reaching end game and merciless should be more rewarding. And not to get one shooted, because of being Ranger class. Problem comes with a must travel on the other side of the tree and ignoring some of the nodes, that are also important by your class, on this example i have taken ranger.

There is also a fact, that a player needs to role some good flasks, which we miss so many times. The Flask system is nicely balanced compared to the skill tree.
GGG thank you for all the great things you are doing. You have combined every element of all other great Rpg's and joined them together as one Diamond, that will shine Forever.

This is coming straight from the heart <3
Last edited by Farystar on Feb 10, 2013, 7:14:16 AM
i never had problem with ranger actually. pretty powerful class to me.

duelist's starting nodes does suck tho lol

and as for difficulty in merc. at first, enemies seems op but once you get proper gear and level, they seem so easy.

i always have hard time in merc at start.
i try to get there as quick as possible, in results, im usually under 10 level lower than level zone. hard time but no to death, i just have to dodge shits.

guy like kripparrian comes with OP build no matter which class he plays lol he has so much knowledge of the game and player skill.
"
Dudebag wrote:
i never had problem with ranger actually. pretty powerful class to me.

duelist's starting nodes does suck tho lol

and as for difficulty in merc. at first, enemies seems op but once you get proper gear and level, they seem so easy.

i always have hard time in merc at start.
i try to get there as quick as possible, in results, im usually under 10 level lower than level zone. hard time but no to death, i just have to dodge shits.

guy like kripparrian comes with OP build no matter which class he plays lol he has so much knowledge of the game and player skill.

Thank your for posting it @Dudebag. No one said it's impossible, but this right side of the skill tree needs more unique nodes and rebalanced numbers on some nodes.
GGG thank you for all the great things you are doing. You have combined every element of all other great Rpg's and joined them together as one Diamond, that will shine Forever.

bump...

I think the main reason PoE originally seemed so attractive compared to D3 was the emphasis on creativity, I.E. with the gem/socket system as well as the ridiculous skill tree.

Now naturally the tree serves it purpose as far as its diversity branching goes, but doing so in a completely balanced way would be nigh impossible. If you want an assymetrical balance design where just about any build is supposedly viable if planned properly while still having a high average difficulty level then it's only logical that it'd be imperfect.

The fact that the game is still in beta along with this is enough for me to not blame GGG or Kripp in any way as for how the current metagame has turned out. That being said... there are undoubtably some rather obvious discrepancies that ought to be changed. While every class admittedly should have rather stereotypical (and different) starting areas as far as str/int/dex and its inclusions go, there is no reason to have such an uneven distribution as far as simple survivability goes.

Think of it this way, if you go with the reasoning that armor is associated with strength, evasion with dexterity and energy shield with intelligence, such nodes being those areas are fine. However there is no reason whatsoever for life and mana nodes not being evenly distributed. It's something that's just as essential for any class at ground zero.

Yes, from an outside perspective it might be intuitively sensible that the big tanky marauder and templar ought to have a bunch of extra life nodes whereas the spellcasting witch should have some more mana, but that's thinking in ordinary RPG terms. Path of Exile doesn't work like that, as class specialization is so free and wide open. It doesn't matter if you're a Ranger, a Witch or a Marauder, everyone is just as free to be an archer, a wander or a two-hand melee class. Because of this there is no reasonable way of thinking that'd justify life and mana nodes being directly related to class starting areas. Since you can ignore the general classifications of a normal RPG as far as limitations go, you also have to ignore the logical strengths and weaknesses that intuitively should accompany them. It goes hand-in-hand, choosing just one or the other makes no sense.

To conclude, if you want a drastic change to the basic passive skill tree setup, I think either you'd have to give up the lack of limitations for class builds or balance out life and mana somewhat evenly from everyone's starting point. Naturally, restricitng creativity would be a terrible idea, so I think it's safe to say that we can scratch that option right away. You have to separate what should be specific for certain corners of the tree from what should be available to everyone.

My two cents.
Mayonnaise is a must-have lubricant when performing necrophilia
People just want to play viable freezing pulse marauders.
POE is a constantly evolving game, so expect balance changes, buffs and nerfs STILL!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info