On "projectiles behaving like arrows" thing

"
Multiple projectiles emitted at exactly the same time can no longer hit the same target. Their area of effect damage can still overlap, dealing damage to the same target multiple times.

I know they 'll change the skills affected by this, but I'm curious about some of its interactions if implemented in the current state of the game right now.

mainly, I'm curious about the AOE damage overlapping; what does this mean? does that mean that Fireball's AOE damage still shotguns (though its actual projectiles can't anymore)?

How about FP? I always thought in my head that although FP did not have an AOE tag, it always had a fixed AOE that can't be modified. will it be affected by the AoE doverlap damage? or is my presumption wrong?

as far as I know, the things I'm expecting to change because of the shotgun effect are: Incin, FT, FP, LA, and TS. am I missing anything?
Better stay in the land of the damned, Exile. Here, even the very words are corrupted by Nightmare.
"
enveratise wrote:
mainly, I'm curious about the AOE damage overlapping; what does this mean? does that mean that Fireball's AOE damage still shotguns (though its actual projectiles can't anymore)?

By his wording. Yes, fireball indeed will hit multiple times with the AOE if a ball hits a separate target close enough to be hit by the second aoe.

This means Glacial cascade and Kinetic Blast still function how they do. Although, they may rebalance (ahem, nerf) Kinetic blast based off how it will still shotgun.

Basically you can think of it as "only one projectile in a volley can collide with any one target" but the resulting aoe from that can hit as normal. In a way it's very much how Ball lightning works, and probably was inspired by balancing that.

"
enveratise wrote:
How about FP? I always thought in my head that although FP did not have an AOE tag, it always had a fixed AOE that can't be modified. will it be affected by the AoE doverlap damage? or is my presumption wrong?

It's a piercing projectile that has a larger width than an arrow, but it still has no AOE component so it will no longer shotgun.
"
enveratise wrote:

as far as I know, the things I'm expecting to change because of the shotgun effect are: Incin, FT, FP, LA, and TS. am I missing anything?

lightning arrow and tornado? those are attacks, theyre not changing, theyre changing spells to work the way attacks work now.
Except Tornado Shot can shotgun. So it should see this change. Lightning Arrow won't be affected.
Guild Leader The Amazon Basin <BASIN>
Play Nice and Show Some Class www.theamazonbasin.com
@PsionicKitten: GC was never a projectile though, so it never crossed my mind. :P I guess there goes FP trap on that Sire of Shards staff. Ah well. thanks for the explanation. :D

I do hope they raise the AOE on it to keep the shotgun effect. or change it entirely, making it a Shivan Meteor thing.

@snorkle: well, the announcement never specified spells or attacks. it just specified that it behaved like arrows. or was it in a previous announcement?
I didn't even find anything mentioning the word 'spell' in that page either. :P

EDIT: good call on KB btw. forgot about that. and I always thought that LA could? given enough supports, that is. ah well. new thing learned. never got around to experiment with LA. I was pretty much a noob when it was the hottest thing around.
Better stay in the land of the damned, Exile. Here, even the very words are corrupted by Nightmare.
Last edited by enveratise on Apr 20, 2015, 12:52:57 AM
"
I do hope they raise the AOE on it to keep the shotgun effect. or change it entirely, making it a Shivan Meteor thing.

Raise the Area of Effect on what? Freeze Pulse? Freeze Pulse was never an AoE to begin with, it is not going to shotgun after the changes.
"
Starxsword wrote:
"

Raise the Area of Effect on what? Freeze Pulse? Freeze Pulse was never an AoE to begin with, it is not going to shotgun after the changes.

oh, was thinking about fireball on that one, that's why I said Shivan Meteor. my bad. :P
"
enveratise wrote:
EDIT: good call on KB btw. forgot about that. and I always thought that LA could? given enough supports, that is. ah well. new thing learned. never got around to experiment with LA. I was pretty much a noob when it was the hottest thing around.

Skills like Lightning Arrow, Tornado Shot, Ice Shot or Kinetic Blast will be unchanged by this, they always did indirect shotgunning as a result of their impact effect, only direct shotgunning is getting the boot.

Except TS, secondary shotgunning isn't a balance issue, it's skill-specific so it can be freely tweaked until it hits the sweet spot.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
"
raics wrote:
"
enveratise wrote:

Skills like Lightning Arrow, Tornado Shot, Ice Shot or Kinetic Blast will be unchanged by this, they always did indirect shotgunning as a result of their impact effect, only direct shotgunning is getting the boot.

Except TS, secondary shotgunning isn't a balance issue, it's skill-specific so it can be freely tweaked until it hits the sweet spot.

You've made everything clearer by defining that there's more than one type of shotgunning in the game!

I did learn this while reading the numerous threads on GaD, but you're the first one to condense it into simpler terms. Now, if only they'll make it official. :P
Last edited by enveratise on Apr 20, 2015, 5:43:52 AM
I've been using the direct/indirect distinction and saw them used mostly in feedback and suggestions on game balance, it doesn't get much interest here.

There has been talk about removing spell shotgunning for a long time, it has more support than you'd expect. Many players understand it was hindering game evolution too much, besides being directly responsible for some awkward fixes like 'far shot' it made things unnecessarily difficult for devs. I mean, it's hard to make a monster do any damage with its projectile and at the same time not completely obliterate you when on +4 projectile maps, a perfect example are merveil brood.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
Last edited by raics on Apr 20, 2015, 6:05:08 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info