A potential change I'm keen to hear your thoughts on

"
"
XeroSlayer wrote:
None of these potential changes looks like spell casters will benefit from.

That is because they won't. People keep mentioning Zealots Oath and Ghost Reaver to make the proposed EB change work,that wouldn't fix the new EB it would totally break any character. Leech and regen are needed to survive, putting 1 or both on ES will gimp any character using EB.

There are also people talking about using more auras on mana and then casting with ES. Again this won't work. On both my EB / MoM / AA charscters I wear Alpha's Howl and grab all the aura clusters by the Witch, Scion, and Shadow. It is not possible to grab more aura nodes and also have enough life. With these nodes and AH I can run 2 60% auras, 1 herald, and clarity. There is not enough room for a second herald let alone another aura. A second herald pushes the required reservation above 100%.

The net gain of this change is zero. The utility of the new version of the node is zero. It is a bad idea that doesn't even deserve to be tested.

With the current way EB is designed you have OoM issue when you hit in a reflect pack. With the new way it's designed, you don't have that issue anymore.
It certainly won't comfort you in the utility of the new version of EB but it shows you that there are consequences you didn't expect.
If the beta testers truly don't find a way to make a viable defense, we'll probably go back to the old version but we certainly cannot reject the new version without having seen the new skill tree/tree jewels
Last edited by neoatomium on Apr 19, 2015, 12:53:06 AM
Now that Mark made that edit about how MOM will interact with it im not as concerned anymore!
AA im still wondering how it will work but i personally dont run AA with MOM simply because you end up losing defense if you dont stack and insane amount of regen anyway! i would prefer to run another resistance flask in the place of the insta mana pot i would need to keep at all times for emergencies so i can for example... use my lightning warp to get out of a bad situation because i just took and massive amount of damage and lost all my mana and AA would fall off anyway as well! AA would also make this easier to happen! MOM works great with EB and so does AA but together you do have to invest quite a bit to run both efficiently and not run into it hurting you when you need it the most!

This change sounds more and more interesting the more i hear about it but without knowing everything as well as testing it out first hand theres no true way to know just how interesting and how the change can really end up working!
There is a fine line between Consideration and Hesitation.
The former is Wisdom, the latter is Fear.
Last edited by Demonoz on Apr 19, 2015, 1:11:39 AM
Incinerators Unite!

My issue with this proposed change, asside from causing AA to basically be something you need to build for primarily, limiting any real offensive measures, is the effect it will have on Incinerators that currently use EB. It will FORCE us to take Ghost Reaver.

-My incinerate casts 19 times a second.
-My mana cost is 29 mana.
-Taking spell echo into account it costs 275 mana per second to keep up incin.

I took off EB today to see what my mana and ES (on life) looked like, and I am at 2300~ ES.
If this is now being cast off the ES protecting my mana, I can only spam incin for 8.2 seconds before I have to retreat and wait for my ES to come back. AND WAIT?! since when is an ARPG about standing around waiting?

On the topic of AA, mine is only level 21, but I do have Inner force as well as the little buff effect node near the Templar. I more than keep it up no problem now, but with no EB I'm only roughly 30mps short of sustaining. NOT UNATTAINABLE!

An idea I had to balance it out is to do something kinda like with the Blood Magic Keystone, or maybe even the Acrobatic/Phase Keystones.

-The former comparison being a node after it that reads ".5% of damage leeched as energy shield" to balance the skill cost a little bit and be nice about it. (yeah, balance that number, I shot in the dark)
-The latter being add a few flat ES or Mana nodes followed by the original EB, seen as how you justify this by saying that the current meta is attainable "with too little investment". (Again, balance this idea as making the "new EB" Keystone litterally silent point isn't ideal)

Just some thoughts, I hope you read this GGG!
Last edited by KarmicNova on Apr 19, 2015, 1:14:47 AM
"
KarmicNova wrote:
Incinerators Unite!

My issue with this proposed change, asside from causing AA to basically be something you need to build for primarily, limiting any real offensive measures, is the effect it will have on Incinerators that currently use EB. It will FORCE us to take Ghost Reaver.

-My incinerate casts 19 times a second.
-My mana cost is 29 mana.
-Taking spell echo into account it costs 275 mana per second to keep up incin.

I took off EB today to see what my mana and ES (on life) looked like, and I am at 2300~ ES.
If this is now being cast off the ES protecting my mana, I can only spam incin for 8.2 seconds before I have to retreat and wait for my ES to come back. AND WAIT?! since when is an ARPG about standing around waiting?

On the topic of AA, mine is only level 21, but I do have Inner force as well as the little buff effect node near the Templar. I more than keep it up no problem now, but with no EB I'm only roughly 30mps short of sustaining. NOT UNATTAINABLE!

An idea I had to balance it out is to do something kinda like with the Blood Magic Keystone, or maybe even the Acrobatic/Phase Keystones.

-The former comparison being a node after it that reads ".5% of damage leeched as energy shield" to balance the skill cost a little bit and be nice about it. (yeah, balance that number, I shot in the dark)
-The latter being add a few flat ES or Mana nodes followed by the original EB, seen as how you justify this by saying that the current meta is attainable "with too little investment". (Again, balance this idea as making the "new EB" Keystone litterally silent point isn't ideal)

Just some thoughts, I hope you read this GGG!

THIS is certainly my biggest concern... I have an RF Incinerator that not only run AA but MOM as well and the way i effectively do that as i mentioned before is an insane amount of regen! Which is insane because of EB and the insane mana pool i have and how regen works scaling by your max pool!
I already know AA will never run on that build again and thats fine but what about Incinerate?
I could give up RF or even MOM before i could make it where i have to do some damage and run away for a bit! Though the build is strong from a defense stand point it certainly has its drawback to that in its clear speed as it is! It doesn't clear maps like alot of other builds but it just does well!
and has the defenses to do the damage! but if i have to give up defenses AND give up using my Incinerate sometimes this creates a big problem for the build!

Then you have people running Arc... and though i havent run an Arc build most everyone i know who has takes EB for the exact same reason i do and STILL have issues sometimes sustaining!

I think the ideas of adding nodes to go with THIS change as proposed is a good idea to look into to go with the change! something like what is going on with Acro and Phase Acro could work well if the nodes behind it address these issues people are pointing out about the change! Not sure exactly what would be something good to but behind it but the idea itself like this guy has seems like what will need to happen to make it all come together to be a change that makes both GGG and the playerbase who has to use it both happy in the end!
There is a fine line between Consideration and Hesitation.
The former is Wisdom, the latter is Fear.
Have you guys considered at all that you have nerfed every other defense except lightning coil to shit? Armor does nothing,block is useless unless you're melee, just nerf mom, don't kill build diversity and make it so everyone uses the same defense, just fucking buff armor or make block usable
.. it's not that difficult.
Nerf to lighning coil...soon, :)
Add a Forsaken Masters questline
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2297942
This feels and looks like blood magic 2.0.

I guess if the "goal" is to not have everyone pigeonholed into one set of defenses, BUFF the other defenses. Stop nerfing things.
"
"
Float wrote:
"
Arturianos wrote:
Why take one of path of exile's most elegantly designed and iconic keystones and turn it into a clusterfuck.

If eldritch battery is too good, why not "turns ES into mana at [multiplier] effectiveness" or another clean nerf.

If cloak is the problem, why not nerf cloak and spare those of us who actually use the keystone.

this change would buff cloak. mom with 5+ auras? yes plzz! haha this suggestion is just bad.

you couldnt run aa anymore
also, youd need to invest into es regen via zealoths oath. i think that this is the way to nerf mom/aa without completly removing it

i never said anything about aa. the only reason mom/aa synergise is because they both need mana. but with this change mom wont need mana and neither will u, at all. its a crazy buff to 100% aura builds. zealots oath is 1 node, yeah huge investment there! and 30% of that node would still be used for effective hp! too op.

not to mention the es leech we saw on that jewel.
Quick question: How would this interact with RF?
Last edited by FoolyCoolant on Apr 19, 2015, 3:17:19 AM
So...
- hypothesis still as yet unexplored by devs (what is the issue requiring the change) - but I know it's the weekend and you're probably out bouldering at Castle Hill? Derek is a monster.
- every game developer (hi, I've been there) should keep in mind a simple rule: If you want to reduce the efficiency of the upper echelon by 1%, expect it to hit the normal players 10x as hard. There are economies of scale of nerf.

Is the Awakening actually going to be a new game? Perhaps you should consider actually releasing it as a new selectable alternative (to Path of Exile 1), given the accretion of legacy/nerfs over time? If not, how are you going to deal with the legacy legacy legacy legacy items?

As an aside, I think we could really use a development manifesto on some of the topics discussed here, like...

What is the purpose of, and your long-term intent in relation to standard/std HC? Are they really 'dumpster, don't bother, GGG doesn't give a crap' leagues? What do you want to achieve long-term with this game - more RNG, or more determinism? Do you want to build this game more around competition in future, or given there are ways to play without competing, do you want to encourage that style of play? Do you want constant and massive shifts of meta (i.e. throw out your characters every few months) or do you see this settling down at some stage?

These are some fairly important questions for those of us wondering whether we signed up for a game or for a number of vastly different experiences under the banner of a game (but really, more like a game series than any single game...)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info