A potential change I'm keen to hear your thoughts on

"
Lord_of_Error wrote:
Glad you asked.

To be honest with you (and after sitting here for 15mins, not able to come up with a single good use for this): Dear god no.

Managing three resource pools (life, ES, mana) is already difficult for current hybrid chars, but at least you go the extra mile for some extra EHP, potentially helping you in burst situations.
This version of EB shares the same problems as a hybrid char has, that is efficient ways to sustain your three resources, just for some extra EMP (effective mana pool). But for what, except with MoM there are currently no situations where I'd need a mana pool that can catch a burst (that is also why everybody just reserves 90%+ of their mana). Even worse, your ES won't ever refill, since you'll never be able to do something in combat without interrupting its recharge.

The only remotely usefull build I can see does something I personally already have seen enough of: Use as much mana reserving buffs as you possibly can squeeze in. Skills can then be cast from ES (if there is some way to sustain it), but this won't net more than one extra aura.

On a side note, to me the design is a lot less elegant (read: unnecessary complex) than the current version. :\

Basically this. Without a change to current mechanical capacity to recharge energy sheild, there isn't a way to make this work outside of very niche and extremely passive point hungry builds.

Spoiler
One means of making it would would be if Essentia Sanguis was changed to have the ghost reaver mod apply only to the claw in question. (Lifeleech from this weapon applies to your energy sheild).

This would permit claw builds the ability to run a lot of auras and a hybrid defense setup, without needing to run a blood magic gem - and could still have lifeleech to supplement their health pool.

I'm excited by upcoming mechanical changes and additions, We've already seen +ES on hit, but in the current state of the game, this is a bad change.

In act 4 though...I'll need a full set of patch notes to decide that.

"
Mark_GGG wrote:
Spoiler
Since Rory does seem to have actually clarified the mechanic at play here (that I can see), I'll take this one.

The new Eldritch Battery currently being tested has two stats (wording not final):
Energy Shield protects Mana instead of Life and
Spend Energy Shield before Mana for Skill Costs

Energy Shield protects Mana instead of Life means that your ES is over your mana, and not over your life, as seen in the screenshot. Since it's not over your life, damage that's doing to your life isn't intercepted by ES. Since it's over mana, damage going to mana (Mind over Matter, etc) will hit ES first, except in the case of Chaos Damage, which bypasses ES and would go straight through to mana.
You will no longer have the 50% chance to ignore stuns for having ES, as that's a property of ES protecting life and doesn't apply when it's over mana instead.
Life being lost will no longer impede the ES refresh, but Mana being lost for any reason will, as of course will losing ES as it always does.
Effects which just make you lose mana, such as Arctic Armour or Sapping flasks, will not be affected, just as ES doesn't stop Caustic Flasks from removing life.
If you take the Blood Magic Keystone, you'll have no mana, and ES will be protecting your empty mana globe. Mind over Matter will still try to divert some damage to mana, and this will be able to be absorbed by ES, but once ES is depleted of course, no damage can be taken from mana and will will all go to life.

Spend Energy Shield before Mana for Skill Costs means that for skill mana costs (not reservations) you pay with ES until you run out, then start paying with mana. Mana reservations are not costs, and will still be paid directly with mana.
Blood Magic still switches you to spending life "instead", so you won't be able to pay with ES if you have blood magic and this stat.

In all other respects, ES behaves exactly the same - it still has the refresh mechanic, and anything that references ES still applies to ES.

Energy Shield protects Mana instead of Life has promise and niche utility.
Spend Energy Shield before Mana for Skill Costs as far as I can forsee in the current state of game is utter garbage.
"If you’re incompetent, you can’t know you’re incompetent. […] the skills you need to produce a right answer are exactly the skills you need to recognize what a right answer is." ~David Dunning
Last edited by TikoXi on Apr 17, 2015, 10:01:15 PM
The largest possible detriment to what people are currently doing seems to be that it's going to be harder to sustain AA. But really is that reason enough to deny all the possibilities this might bring?

Stop being so negative and think of the possibilities!.
Last edited by Zoroch on Apr 17, 2015, 9:58:04 PM
This change is weird, but it'll shake things up a bit and I am quite interested. Assuming I haven't gotten anything wrong (I just woke up, I'm kind of dumb when I first wake up):

Pros:
You can now reserve all your mana and still have ES to spend.
Shavronne's Revelation becomes even more powerful, as one of the major drawbacks to spending ES instead of mana will be the recharge delay.

Cons:
Your mana passives no longer affect the extra "mana" you get from EB.
Arctic Armor and Mind over Matter will be less effective.
Acrobatics will be less effective with Pledge/Cloak builds.

Observations:
Clearly this is meant to be an even further nerf to the EB/Mind over Matter combo, with or without Cloak of Defiance. I don't entirely know if it's warranted; I think that when you consider only the passives, the travel from the two keystones justifies their power and synergy. This move would kill that synergy altogether. However, it could open the way toward some other interesting changes.

Idea(s):
Since you're introducing gem slots, how about one right behind EB that would allow a player to Intuitive Leap over to the Infused Shield node behind CI?
Aura Reservation Calculator: https://poe.mikelat.com/
Chromatic Calculator: http://siveran.github.io/calc.html
Tired of using GGG's crappy skill planner? Tell them here: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1555283
i love this, now you have a real alternative to just stacking mana... im curious how the es regen mechanics will work!
ign: ALLRAUDER
Wait, wait, wait... Wait a minute please!

What do you mean by "Chaos Damage goes straight to mana"?

Does this actually means, what with 100% or nearly mana reserved, any player with reworked Eldritch Battery will be essentially Chaos Immune?

*confused_koala.jpeg*

This isn't a good change at all from the way I understand it. Energy shield on a whole is a bit of a gimmick because it doesn't recharge, so why would I want it seperate from my mana pool?
GGG listens to its fans!!! Thank you!
This would be a terrible change.
"
Stripes wrote:
Wait, wait, wait... Wait a minute please!

What do you mean by "Chaos Damage goes straight to mana"?

Does this actually means, what with 100% or nearly mana reserved, any player with reworked Eldritch Battery will be essentially Chaos Immune?

*confused_koala.jpeg*

Chaos damage applied to your mana globe via MoM will bypass ES and hit your mana. Regular damage to your mana glove via MoM will hit ES first.
"
Wooser69 wrote:
I don't use mom

That's the problem right there.

I should clarify my earlier statement that Snorkle quoted initially, where I said "The EB/AA/CoD setup was easily the strongest defensive choice you could make, without really sacrificing a whole lot to get it done."

What I mean by that is the EB/CoD/AA setup in its current iteration synergies perfectly with itself. The things you already normally pick up in order to sustain AA help sustain MoM and you never run out of mana. Ever. It frees up a flask slot that you can use defensively instead. And if you're a halfway decent player with your flask management, that's where it becomes truly powerful.

"
Snorkle_uk wrote:
EB/COD/AA was one of the most investment intensive and weak defenses in the game.

This is just flat out wrong. You can get it working efficiently without taking a single aura reservation node. Setting up acro/phase/ondar's requires a lot more travel to get done, nevermind the six point investment on its own for the actual nodes.
Jul 27, 2011 - Sept 30, 2018.
Last edited by Serleth on Apr 17, 2015, 10:05:21 PM
"
It also opens up options of making extremely high mana cost builds, elemental hit will no longer be a dream.

The way EB currently works does exactly this...They don't need to break it for that.

"
Edit: I mean think of it guys, it's like having Blood Magic and still be able to get auras! *Starts throwing imaginary confetti*

You must have missed the boat on BM builds...They run WAY more auras than anyone else without this new EB. In fact, the new EB would not change their ability to run more auras at all...

All that this would do for BM builds is let them use MoM through ES, which would be stupid because they could just as easily use the ES directly (which they do).

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info