Molten Shell Totem questions

According to the Totem page on the wiki, "Totems use the player's own skills as though the player had cast them".

1. Does this mean that if I have buff effect and % increased armour, a Totem casting Molten Shell will benefit?
2. What about Iron Reflexes and Grace? Will the Totem receive armour from the evasion being converted?
3. I'm guessing Endurance Charges that I have on won't affect the Totem's base physical resistance... or will it?
From the same page:
"
Totem stats

While skills cast by the totem are affected by all modifiers affecting the player, the stats of the totem itself are not. The totem will not benefit from passive skills or gear that increase life or energy shield, will not be affected by Chaos Inoculation or increased resistances, the totem is not considered to be wearing the player's armour, and so forth. As of patch 1.2.4, Totems have a standard resistance to all elements of 25% regardless of difficulty.

So
(1) no
(2) The totem will get Evasion.
(3) Endurance Charges won't affect your totems.
#1 seems wrong. If I have buff effect, that would multiply the effect of Molten Shell if I cast it. I understand armour nodes not working for Totems, as that would be a "stat", but buff effect should be like "spell damage for buffs".
Last edited by SponTen on Apr 16, 2015, 8:59:36 PM
I'd say Inner Force doesn't work for totems, because it states "increased effect of buffs on you".
If the wording was "increased effect of buffs you cast" (like the wording on aura effect nodes), then I'd say it would also work for totems.

Of course I might be wrong here. :\

€dit: If you don't mind spending a few Regret Orbs, you could cast a Righteous Fire totem and see how long it takes to burn from full to one health. Then skill the buff effect nodes and measure the time again. If they affect the totem, it should lose health faster.
Last edited by Lord_of_Error on Apr 16, 2015, 9:09:35 PM
"
Lord_of_Error wrote:
From the same page:
"
Totem stats

While skills cast by the totem are affected by all modifiers affecting the player, the stats of the totem itself are not. The totem will not benefit from passive skills or gear that increase life or energy shield, will not be affected by Chaos Inoculation or increased resistances, the totem is not considered to be wearing the player's armour, and so forth. As of patch 1.2.4, Totems have a standard resistance to all elements of 25% regardless of difficulty.

So
(1) no
(2) The totem will get Evasion.
(3) Endurance Charges won't affect your totems.

Somewhat on topic, do you know if totems have max resist cap of 75% like players?
For POE Devs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ea6UuRTjkKs
Died like this in HC before: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVsgFUiD-Y8

u_u
"
Lord_of_Error wrote:
I'd say Inner Force doesn't work for totems, because it states "increased effect of buffs on you".
If the wording was "increased effect of buffs you cast" (like the wording on aura effect nodes), then I'd say it would also work for totems.

Yes, but "Totems use the player's own skills as though the player had cast them" - if I had used it, it would've provided the buff effect.

"
Lord_of_Error wrote:
If you don't mind spending a few Regret Orbs, you could cast a Righteous Fire totem and see how long it takes to burn from full to one health. Then skill the buff effect nodes and measure the time again. If they affect the totem, it should lose health faster.

Good idea - I could test this today with a spare character and then just wait for 2.0 tree reset :D
"
Yes, but "Totems use the player's own skills as though the player had cast them" - if I had used it, it would've provided the buff effect.

No, you wouldn't. Let's say if for some, you use the skill, it affects another player, say for example you run Hatred aura. I bet Hatred aura's effect isn't increased by Inner Force on another player if they don't have Inner Force.
Inner Force affects buffs on you, very different from buffs you cast.
"
Starxsword wrote:
"

No, you wouldn't. Let's say if for some, you use the skill, it affects another player, say for example you run Hatred aura. I bet Hatred aura's effect isn't increased by Inner Force on another player if they don't have Inner Force.
Inner Force affects buffs on you, very different from buffs you cast.

I know, but since Molten Shell is a buff on me, it would benefit from buff effect. And since I'm casting the buff, the Totem should cast it the same way as me - ie. it should benefit from buff effect.
Yes but the passive will only effect you ever. Look at it this way. If you self cast Molten Shell, it gives you armor, which is THEN increased by the buff effect passive. It's not calculated in advance. When the totem casts molten shell it gets the base armor from molten shell, which is not increased by the buff effect passives, because the molten shell buff is not on you. It's on the totem.

In the case of something like Herald of Lightning, the buff effect passive will increase the damage the totem does because the buff effect is on you, not on the totem.
"
Lord_of_Error wrote:

Of course I might be wrong here. :\
You're not (rather ironically, given your username) :P
This includes your earlier post where you answered the three questions in the OP correctly.

"
SponTen wrote:
I know, but since Molten Shell is a buff on me, it would benefit from buff effect. And since I'm casting the buff, the Totem should cast it the same way as me - ie. it should benefit from buff effect.
No. You casting Molten shell doesn't make the buff be affected by the buff effect modifier. The buff going onto you does, because there's a stat on you saying all buffs on you, regardless of source, have increased effect. The totem is casting your spell, as though you did, but the buff is going onto the totem, which does not have a stat saying "increased effect of buffs on [this totem]" like you do.

Yes, if you cast Molten shell, the buff would go onto you, and thus would be affected by "increased effect of buffs on you". But when the totem casts the skill "as though you had" it's pretty clear that doesn't mean a self-targeting skill cast by the totem applies to you - it was still cast by the totem. The buff does not go onto you, and thus is not a buff on you to be increased.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info