Suddenly horrible writing D:

Wraeclast is a pisshole, but it's MY pisshole, and no dark beast or happy light bearing angel is going to take it from me.
"
Ormagoeden wrote:
You were a mere selfish exile once, cast upon the land to rise or perish. You have grown in strength and renown. Now you are called to one final struggle, one that will doom or redeem Wraeclast forever. You must breach the Deshret Seal, cross the threshold of the Highgate Mine and descend deep into the tunnels. There you will meet your foe, and perhaps find a way to slay Nightmare itself.

Sorry, but there is absolutely no reason for an exile to give a damn about wraeclast or the beast.

I know that all you do is left click stuff to death in this game, and no one cares about quests/lore.

But come on, why did you turn it into a ''save the world(wraeclast)'' plot, when the world was believable, and the character's motives were survival and revenge(and phat lewtz?) rather than ''hurr save the universe''.

Guess it was a desperate excuse for a new act.

those are just the fluffy words written by the historians/political class that have become soft in their cities. I am still the same self-righteous prick that washed up on these shores! I do not feel like snuffing it at this time of my life and no over-sized fluffy bunny with big pointy teeth, is going to decide to eat this exile's soul. My revenge has just moved on! Save the world? bah! Save my own ass first and if I save everyone else too, so be it!
"
Ormagoeden wrote:
You were a mere selfish exile once, cast upon the land to rise or perish. You have grown in strength and renown. Now you are called to one final struggle, one that will doom or redeem Wraeclast forever. You must breach the Deshret Seal, cross the threshold of the Highgate Mine and descend deep into the tunnels. There you will meet your foe, and perhaps find a way to slay Nightmare itself.

Sorry, but there is absolutely no reason for an exile to give a damn about wraeclast or the beast.

I know that all you do is left click stuff to death in this game, and no one cares about quests/lore.

But come on, why did you turn it into a ''save the world(wraeclast)'' plot, when the world was believable, and the character's motives were survival and revenge(and phat lewtz?) rather than ''hurr save the universe''.

Guess it was a desperate excuse for a new act.
You are making assumptions.

All that says is you have gotten stronger and famous and now you go kill this big bad and if you fail wraeclast goes tits up. Does not say anything about what your motivations would be. Could be an extension of his/her revenge.

Also the game is somewhat obscure about your characters intentions in general (left up to your own interpretations). People assume its revenge just because it makes sense for several reasons, but AFAIK your character never explicitly states that.
Last edited by Splift on Apr 15, 2015, 7:23:29 PM
I'd care about the place I (have to) call home being consumed by demons and fleshgods. :p
Why would you not care, really?
"

__

It's fairly clear to me the OP doesn't really think much about character development, quest lore or story. You 'left click repeatedly until shit dies then take all the loot' types should stick to that and let the story/lore be handled by those who know what they're doing. It's not like you've ever really cared about it before.

You're getting a whole hell of a lot of new shit to kill and to loot, and new ways to do it. Stop bitching about the package in which it comes if you don't have the vaguest idea of what it's all about.

I was gonna get into how the whole "you're now saving the world" irked me a bit, but you know what? You're right.
Don't forget to drink your milk 👌
"
TheWretch wrote:
"

__

It's fairly clear to me the OP doesn't really think much about character development, quest lore or story. You 'left click repeatedly until shit dies then take all the loot' types should stick to that and let the story/lore be handled by those who know what they're doing. It's not like you've ever really cared about it before.

You're getting a whole hell of a lot of new shit to kill and to loot, and new ways to do it. Stop bitching about the package in which it comes if you don't have the vaguest idea of what it's all about.

I was gonna get into how the whole "you're now saving the world" irked me a bit, but you know what? You're right.

Big fan of the meta DS2 and Bloodborne seem to have going. Go on. Kill shit. It's what you do.

Still managed to weave a wonderful tapestry of lore around basic gamer drive.
No. Calm down. Learn to enjoy losing.
"
b15h09 wrote:
"
TheWretch wrote:
"

__

Big fan of the meta DS2 and Bloodborne seem to have going. Go on. Kill shit. It's what you do.

Still managed to weave a wonderful tapestry of lore around basic gamer drive.

That's exactly how I like it too. However, i'm mindful that to a lot of players, a deeper sense of place brought on by more overt lore and history is wanted. As long as they aren't wasting 100's of thousands of dollars on cut-scenes, i'm all for it.
Don't forget to drink your milk 👌
"
"
Hyaon wrote:
Issues arise once again. Step back, die and get no payback for it. Step forward, get some payoff and misplaced acclaim for it, praising you for the hero you are not. Happy days!

PS: I can hear Charan bursting to write his own version of Act 4 intro. Literally, strand by strand breaking bursting :p

Actually I praised it in the announcement thread. We've been selfish long enough. It's time for the Exile to evolve even further. To decide whether or not the Wraeclast that empowered them, that taught them so much about themselves, deserves to be saved as well.

Oriath was never home. Wraeclast is home.

And one must protect one's home...even from itself.

__

Also, we get to stop a monster from eating our souls!
FYI: It's not a fantasy story, it's a cosmic horror story.
The final storyline might involve the exile's own dreams being invaded... or something like that. They already revealed that evil force behind Dominus is the Big Bad this act, and we just didn't like that bloke for assorted reasons.

I personally don't care about the story so much as the ambiance, and everything so far has been the correct tone. Remember when they were messing around with the art for charges? They showed off some in-development art which was bright and cartoony, but not a week later when the patch hit, the charges were darker and smoothly matched the appearance of the game. The devs know what's tacky, and they know what's cool, so give them the benefit of a doubt and wait for the Act 4 story to be fully revealed.

Also, if you remember this game is heavily inspired by the Diablo series, and if you look at the environments, you'll notice a bit of a "descent into hell" motif in their games. Lunaris 3 was one of the most emotionally moving parts of this game for me, and I'm sure a lot of people who remember the Archbishop Lazarus and lakes of blood in Hell will agree that that was a very similar dark turn. They may be saving the best Act 4 reveals for last.
Tora mentions in one of her soliloquies that the violence shown by the animals of Wraeclast is not a normal thing - something might be feeding on that violence.

You may be achieving this level of violence for no other reason than you are a part of Wraeclast. Like Kaom, a pawn for a higher (or lower) purpose.

As far as arpgs storylines go this is the only video game I've ever bought a comic/book for. Outside of TES, Bioshock and The Secret World - all video game writing is complete shit. I wouldnt put POE at Secret World writing, but I'd put it just below.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info