Is desync really fixed in act 4?

"
Pyrokar wrote:
"
Spede_P wrote:
You'll be able to pick your poison. Either you risk being desynced, or you're delaying all your actions by a split second.

I still have nightmares from battlenet dota games in w3 era. So i'd rather desync?

This is the amazing bit of the whole announcement:
Spoiler
You ready for this?
You sure?
Your mind will be blown. You have been warned.
I'm not cleaning up the mess...
Alright then...here we go
You can.
"If you’re incompetent, you can’t know you’re incompetent. […] the skills you need to produce a right answer are exactly the skills you need to recognize what a right answer is." ~David Dunning
"
Rusery wrote:

*Using lockstep mode alone will stop you from randomly appearing in a room full of monsters, being beaten on until death. Instead your character will freeze (lock your steps) and you will wait on the amount of time it takes for the server to understand whats happening.

People with high ping are not going to enjoy this mode as itll be like NYC traffic at 4:30pm. On top of this, 6 man groups will probably destroy you.

EDIT: people with good ping wont bother using this likely, so nothings really solved and it deserved no "serious" mention as a main feature.

Your post makes no sense. People with good ping will definitely use the lockstep mode because it's superior in every way to the old desync-y mode. My character will freeze? Only when there's a lag spike and lag spikes always kill the game, no matter what mode you choose. People with high ping will play with the old mode, which is also getting improvements. So yeah it's a big deal.
GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.
"
Porcoflic wrote:
I'm a bit skeptical about the desync fix. GGG has always said in the numerous desync thread that it was not completely fixable and now they come with the magical solution.

If the new method (which is simply a mandatory check by the server for every action) works so well, why wasn't it implemented earlier? I mean, it sounds so obvious that they must have think about it before.

Still, I think it will works well with good latency and so we have to congratulate GGG for this improvement.

@Dirk, we don't have to apologize, the desync issue is a BIG issue in this game, I think most people agree about that. Why would we apologize for pointing out a major issue with the game?

If anyone must apologize, I think it would be all the desync deniers, but I don't think it's necessary, gz to GGG and let's hope everybody enjoys PoE 2.0.0

It's not a revolutionary idea, nor an inspired fix. It's how most every other real-time multiplayer game on the market works. The reason it took so long is because of the way software coding works. You make one change in a line of code to fix a problem, and you create 4 more problems in that line. Now magnify that literally millions of times over. You might as well rewrite the entire netcode from scratch, which could take years.

Guess what - they did. And it took years. And now it's here and I hope to all hell and back that it works, because you don't understand how much of an incredible feat it would be to have these two net-codes running in parallel and alternating between the two. Absolutely mind blowing. If they can make this work, they should get a nobel prize for game design, cause this is amazing from a software engineer standpoint.

(imagine trying to get pilots to do a mid-air refuelling operation with no windows, radios or instruments - just a handbook and a stopwatch.)
"If you’re incompetent, you can’t know you’re incompetent. […] the skills you need to produce a right answer are exactly the skills you need to recognize what a right answer is." ~David Dunning
Last edited by TikoXi on Apr 13, 2015, 2:10:53 PM
"
Pewzor wrote:
Looks like the fix is basically for every action you issue, the game is instantly paused for a short time (in milliseconds), and you lose all control of your character, until the server gives you a reply and then you can issue the next command... and repeat...

God no. That would make any game above pacman unplayable.

A lockstep approach, in simplest terms, has the client (and the server) commit an action, wait for a set threshold of a little more than half the ping time, and only then start executing it. So you will notice a delay for any given action on that order of magnitude, for most people <= 25ms. This shouldn't really affect your gameplay.

What you will notice is packet loss, or changes in your ping time. And despite that reddit post lockstep approaches will go out of sync eventually, simply because of mundane things like rounding errors. Whether you'll ever notice depends on how well they identify this and resync.
players with high ping can choose - die from desync or die from lag, but you will be dying often from one or the other.
Nice necro
ign: Vixien
I think desync is workable now.

Before it was awful, the worst ive ever seen in a game, made worse by the fact that click and attack accuracy is vital to surviving in a game like this.

Now in lockstep with good ping, desyncs are brief hitches in gameplay, extremely fast freezes. While its not awesome when this happens its predictable, it doesn't cause death.

I can tell the game still desyncs just the game handles it better. Im not standing there whacking an enemy that isn't there, then panicking for my /oos macro to find out where the enemies really are.

Bottom line is that I now feel confident playing the game.

So what they did is make desync now a "lag" issue via lag spikes. I know its not actual lag its just the game trying to resync, and they put that lag tracker which is nice....

So now people cant complain about desync its now lag spikes generated by the game...which is something easier to explain away.

Its a bandaid for sure but hey...after all these years...its a pretty good fix.
just for try, for see and for know
Last edited by CapitalPunishment on Jul 13, 2015, 11:06:59 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info