Is desync really fixed in act 4?

"
Porcoflic wrote:
I'm a bit skeptical about the desync fix. GGG has always said in the numerous desync thread that it was not completely fixable and now they come with the magical solution.

If the new method (which is simply a mandatory check by the server for every action) works so well, why wasn't it implemented earlier? I mean, it sounds so obvious that they must have think about it before.

Still, I think it will works well with good latency and so we have to congratulate GGG for this improvement.

@Dirk, we don't have to apologize, the desync issue is a BIG issue in this game, I think most people agree about that. Why would we apologize for pointing out a major issue with the game?

If anyone must apologize, I think it would be all the desync deniers, but I don't think it's necessary, gz to GGG and let's hope everybody enjoys PoE 2.0.0

GGG already explained why they didn't implement it earlier, they felt having a little delay isn't suited to action games, but felt it was fine for RTS/MOBA"s.

I think desync has been such an unfixable problem, they kind of caved in and gave us the option to play this alternative way which so many people requested years ago, myself included. It isn't new or magical. How well will it work for Poe? We'll find out.
ign KlearSpeed

1.3 Torment - Scion Kinetic Build Guide (HC Viable)
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1146976
Last edited by iMbaQ on Apr 13, 2015, 5:02:24 AM
"
Porcoflic wrote:

If the new method (which is simply a mandatory check by the server for every action) works so well, why wasn't it implemented earlier? I mean, it sounds so obvious that they must have think about it before.

I think they simply didn't have the time/manpower/money to build a completely new netcode. They grew a lot over the past years (50+ people afair) so now they were able to do it.
GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.
"
Porcoflic wrote:
I'm a bit skeptical about the desync fix. GGG has always said in the numerous desync thread that it was not completely fixable and now they come with the magical solution.

Still, I think it will works well with good latency and so we have to congratulate GGG for this improvement.

@Dirk, we don't have to apologize, the desync issue is a BIG issue in this game, I think most people agree about that. Why would we apologize for pointing out a major issue with the game?

If anyone must apologize, I think it would be all the desync deniers, but I don't think it's necessary, gz to GGG and let's hope everybody enjoys PoE 2.0.0

I never had much issues with desync but i didnt deny it either, so no i dont have to apologize as i knew GGG would do something. Those who said "fix desync" in every thread and who made "fix desync" threads constantly have to apologize because telling them once that there is a problem is fine, but over and over is basically harassment. Im surprised they never locked those threads and deleted those comments instantly.
"
Pyrokar wrote:
"
Spede_P wrote:
You'll be able to pick your poison. Either you risk being desynced, or you're delaying all your actions by a split second.

I still have nightmares from battlenet dota games in w3 era. So i'd rather desync?

First thing I thought of when I heard "delay" ahaha
before LC games at least.
"
Porcoflic wrote:

The new method is not a check of every action. The 'main' instance is still running in realtime on the server. The difference is that you will experience a bit of lag of a few .1 sec instead of several seconds roll-back (i.e. desync).

The main revolution with respect to the previous method is the deterministic approach. Together with saving a lot of bandwidth to GGG, this open the doors to many further improvements of the system, like the integration with GGPO paradigma, which i think will be the next step to be implemented after a lot of testing.
Roma timezone (Italy)
Yes, desync will be completely fixed in Act 4. Everything GGG ever said about why it wasn't fixed were lies. LIES!

/sarcasm
I like many kinds of games 😊
Last edited by ArchSecter on Apr 13, 2015, 1:18:59 PM
if you have low ping, the desync wont be a big issue.

They currently cannot fix desync with the current game client/engine. They just don't have the money to pull of an entire rewrite of the code to do so. Maybe in the future for PoE 2 they will, but not anytime soon.

*Using lockstep mode alone will stop you from randomly appearing in a room full of monsters, being beaten on until death. Instead your character will freeze (lock your steps) and you will wait on the amount of time it takes for the server to understand whats happening.

People with high ping are not going to enjoy this mode as itll be like NYC traffic at 4:30pm. On top of this, 6 man groups will probably destroy you.

EDIT: people with good ping wont bother using this likely, so nothings really solved and it deserved no "serious" mention as a main feature.
Last edited by Rusery on Apr 13, 2015, 1:41:23 PM
Dat dupe...
"If you’re incompetent, you can’t know you’re incompetent. […] the skills you need to produce a right answer are exactly the skills you need to recognize what a right answer is." ~David Dunning
Last edited by TikoXi on Apr 13, 2015, 2:02:15 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info